Grado modifications

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
'Acoustic lenses' fitted to the middle of the ear facing perforated grills. Simple round felt patches about the size to cover the middle hole.

Result; A perceived small improvement in imaging and equall slight reduction of probably the 1khz to 3khz. I can't measure this so its subjective only. (Dale, you may be able/willing to replicate this with your 325e's and measure any small differences?)

May I add that I really like the sound signature of the Grado out of the box so I will not do anything drastic or easily reversible to it (unlike what I did to my Aurvana which really needed some changes to make them comform to my listening preferences). I am simply curious.

Also, after reading Tyll Hertsens/Innerfidelity Grado mod with the tape around the outside edge of the bowl pads (I have the flat pads) I put my long fingers around the foam circumference of the pads to form a crude outside 'seal' whilst listening to music and sure enough, bass fimed up somewhat up and the mids seemed at tad more focused and even smoother.

When I get five mins I'll put the above into practice and report back.

Great headphone as is for little money.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Wow - yeah, the leather earpads I got were way too dull or dark - modding the inside of the earcup is easy, but the outside grilles are very sensitive to any treatments - those would need a real artist to tweak without killing the soundstage.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts