Grado RS1s

idc

Brilliant PJ. Now your headfi has the cans it has been crying out for, for some time now. A big review of the sound please! How much of a jump from your SR80s are they? Pictures, etc etc.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
It would seem that my wife is somewhat less than impressed with this purchase.

AngryWife-main_Full.jpg

Angry Wife

That's not her but you get the idea.

idc

I was just thinking of a way to get to listen to some RS1s!

I take it that this lifelong purchase is more expensive than any dress or shoes that the wife has ever made, which she has only worn once. And before she says no, remember her wedding dress. Way less value than a decent set of headphones. Women bah!

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Err. We did the wedding on the cheap. She wore her graduation dress suit and I wore my graduation suite. We had four guests (including family) and held the event at Ringwood Registry Office.

My wife is actually very frugal when it comes to clothes, shoes, bags, hair cuts, etc, etc, etc....so I don't really have a leg to stand on. And we are saving hard to build an extension.

But I'll make it up to her.

Happy-Birthday.jpg

Err, that's not my torso.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
At around one third of the original asking price that`s a real bargain! Hope they`re everything you`re hoping they`ll be. With a DIY headphone amp plus the Grados you could be listening to top notch performance at a knock down price. Well played.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
idc:As soon as you get them can we have some nice pictures, I dont like the ones above!
Yes. OK. I'll post some pictures.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
survivor:At around one third of the original asking price that`s a real bargain! Hope they`re everything you`re hoping they`ll be. With a DIY headphone amp plus the Grados you could be listening to top notch performance at a knock down price. Well played.
Well, about half price....I've seen the RS1is for round £800. I'm just hoping that they aren't RS2s with a fake bit of wood stating RS1 on them. I know that the wooden ear chamber is supposed to be bigger than on the RS2s but does anyone know how big they should be?

I was thinking of getting a pair of the 325is but these came along at about the same price. The mag doesn't appear to have a review available online but Grado do have a quote on their website...

"We've always had bit of a headphone fettish at What Hi-Fi? We're often talking about how they can create your own private universe, plug directly into your favorite piece of music. Now we've heard the Grado RS1s, and our fettish has become an epic, full blown love affair. Ooooh..."
What Hi-Fi

Does anyone from the mag know which headpone amp was used when testing the RS1s?

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Oh and my wife seems to have mellowed about the whole thing this morning. She even asked me how much were the speakers I've been looking at (AVI Neutron 5). It probably means she has a purchase of her own planned.

A

Anonymous

Great stuff, PJPro, I'm sure they sound amazing.

I wonder whether it's time to get a Headphones sub-forum on WHF, rather than stuff on headphones being all over the place in HiFi, Accessories and who knows where else. What do you think, JD?

Hedgehog

idc

x2 for the headphone sub forum. And it should be next to turntables in the hifi section, not tucked away as 'accessories'. I hate, as a headfier, being seen as an accessory. It makes headfi seem like an add on that is an after thought. But headfi can get you closer to super quality music for less money than an speakers.

Hopefully, PJ will now report back and say his RS1s are the best sound ever, from anything ever heard.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
OK. Here's the comparison

Construction

First impressions in the hand are good. The RS1s must weigh twice that of the SR80s.

The headband on the RS1s is lightly padded, made of stitched leather and is wider than the SR80s, which lacks padding and is made of platic. The plastic junctions between the headband and the phones themselves is the same on both models. However, the metal bar used to attach the phones to these junctions is more substantial on the RS1s and square in section The SR80s are round and tend to swivel around more.

4069800120_7e812cde8a_b.jpg

SR80 on left.

The metal "spring" in the headband is different too; on the RS1s it is stronger but doesn't exert as much pressure on the ears as the SR80s making the RS1s more comfortable to wear. Note: the earpads are further apart on the RS1s when in the relaxed position (see below).

4069801960_6e17b9b58d_b.jpg

SR80s on left

The remainder of the SR80s are constructed from plastic. The RS1 use metal and wood. The ear chamber of the RS1s is bigger (at least twice the size) although both models use the same foam ear pads.

4069045411_fcfbbe7de5_b.jpg

SR80s on left

The cable on the RS1s is slightly thinner than on the SR80s. Both are flexible and feel "nice". The SR80s are terminated with a mini jack and come with 1/4 inch convertor while the RS1s are terminated with a 1/4 phone plug and comes with a substantial mini jack adapter.

4069047007_4968130829_b.jpg

SR80s top

The RS1s are a more refined product with all aspects of the construction superior to the SR80s.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts