Grado RS-1 Set-Up Query

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've just ordered a pair of RS-1s to replace my Grado S125s. Current headphone set-up is:

Headphones: Grado RS-1

Amp: MF X-Can v3 with X-PSU v3

CD: MF A3.2

Interconnect: Van den Hul First Ultimate

Do people believe this is reasonably matched or would you recommend looking to upgrade certain components? Pushing into headphones now as find it tricky to listen to the speakers at reasonable volume given the hours I am at home and the thickness of walls, etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated

P.S. I realise that new cans will need a couple of hundred hours of burn in
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

I have a similar set up due to the same circumstances that you mentioned. I have a Creek Evo C.D. Player, Graham Slee Headphone Amp, Chord Co. Chameleon cable and Alessandro MK2 Headphones. What do you think of the Grado RS-1 Headphones?

A

Anonymous

Out of the box (which is no longer a mahogany presentation case
emotion-6.gif
) the RS-1s sounded pretty average. woolly mid and low end, with tinny high end; they do sound extremely spacious though. I've had them running for a few days now and the sound is improving. Still a way to go though (they need at least 200 hrs run-in apparently) so I'll have to reserve judgement.

My main question is whether a £250 amp (with additional £250 power stage) is an adequate match for the cans. Have heard good things about the Graham Slee amps (around £425?), are they a significant step up in sound quality over the X-Can.

Any other amp recommendations?

A

Anonymous

Hello,I can't comment on the X-Can because I haven't heard it . But everyone I've spoken to preferes the Graham Slee.The only way you can be sure is if you borrow the Slee or others and test them yourself. Keep us posted on the progress on the Grado's. My next upgrade will be for the PSU 1 Power supply , and a Cusat-50 Lead which I'm told works best with the Amp. Other Amps ? Maybe the V-8! Icon Audio HP 8.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Do give the Grados PLENTY of time to run in - when you listen to them straight out of the box, they're bright enough to cheese-grater your ears
emotion-9.gif

Absolutely corking after they're run in, though - awesome stuff.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts