Looking to Upgrade X-Can V3 - Help!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Current set-up is:

Grado RS-1 cans, MF A3.2 CD, & MF X-Can v3 with X-PSU.

Looking to take my can set-up to the next level with a new amp. Problem is, getting good info on headphone amps is a nightmare.

I would really appreciate any recommendations on possible upgrades so I can get out and start demoing.

Thanks

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
The MF is gonna be as good as it will get without spending silly cash. Rega ear is also quite good but that would be a side grade, if you want an proper upgrade then try Stax 3050.

BTW cd player upgrade will up the preformance no end too.

A

Anonymous

Agree with the CD player upgrade, but in a can set-up I figured you got better value for money with an amp upgrade. Main set-up has MF A5 amp and Triangle Zerius speakers, so CD (and speakers) now the weak link(s) there...

Is something like the sugden headmaster an option?

A

Anonymous

I've thought about the Grado amp, does it represent a significant upgrade from the X-Can? The Slee is also impressive, but again, is it a genuine step up (similar price to the X-CAN once PSUs are included)...

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I have a X-can V2 which is now back in the box due to my stello also have a preper Headphone Amp build in. The MF sounded great to my ears although my headphone is lesser than your (SR325i). Could it be the Grado is too good for the rest of your system?

A

Anonymous

Yes, I think the RS-1s are too good for my current set-up, which is why I'm keen to upgrade other components to match. It's not that the X-CAN sounds bad, I just can't help but think that the headphones should be paired with something better to get the most out of them.

Of course, if people think that I won't get a much better headphone amp without spending vast amounts (i.e. well over £1k) then I'm happy to save the money and save towards a better CD deck for instance

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts