System Sounds Muffled...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

I've just changed my headphone set-up a fair bit and the mid-range now sounds a little muffled at times. System is as follows:

Sugden Masterclass CD player

Van den Hul First Ultimate interconnect

Musical Fidelity X-CAN V3 (with Amperex Bugle Boys replacing stock tubes) with X-PSU V3

Grado RS-1 headphones

Any thoughts on what the problem may be, and more importantly a solution?

A

Anonymous

My post really only applies to my headphone set-up, but full system is:

Sugden Masterclass CD player

MF A5 Amp

MF X-CAN V3 (new Bugle Boy tubes) with X-PSU V3

Triangle Zerius Speakers

Grado Rs-1 cans

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
If it is just the headphones and not the main speakers that the issue is with then the likely issues could be (you dont say whether there were any previous issues or what you changed) :-

Faulty connections - was the headphone socket ok before ?
Faulty headphones - can these be tested on another system ?

Most likely - since it looks like you changed the valves i would tend to put it down to the amperex valves - these could either be faulty or is it simply the sound you get from that valve make is different to what you are used to.

I have a few different valves for my Little Dot headphone amp and they certainly do change the sound you get a little - some more bass defined, some more treble. The X-Can from what ive read is quite a warm sounding headphone amplifier so changing tubes to a more warm style could easily over do things. Were the valves you added matched pairs from a reputable dealer - it can make a difference.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the detailed reply Crusaderlord. Completely forgot to list the changes, what an idiot, they were:

Replace MF A3.2 CD player with the Sugden and then to change the tubes.

The Grados are in full working order and are fully burnt in. Socket appears to be fine. The slight muffling seems to have been unaffected by the tube change, but I will do a proper comp this evening. Do tubes need time to burn in?

Could it be that I'm simply not used to the warmer, more analogue, sound of the Sugden yet?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[Takes can of worms; inserts opener]

vDH cables are renowned for slightly damping things down, too - while that may be a highly desirable trait in some (tending towards bright-sounding) systems, it may not suit your new set-up.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
When i bought the Little Dot amplifier i was advised to allow 40 hours burn in time for the valves and yes they did open up and sound better after a few days play.

If the Sugden is also new then maybe this needs a little burn in time too to gell with the system (some argue for and against this but im certain my Arcams got better after the first week of use from new).

I would give it some time to play its way in - but there is a possibility that you have matched up warm sounding equipment CD / Amp / Headphone Amp / Valves such that it its smoothness and warmth has gone far enough to sound a tad muffled to your ears.

Trying a different interconnect is a good and fairly easy option try.

A

Anonymous

Well I guess it makes perfect sense to let the new tubes burn it for a few days, could well be the simplest fix possible, time...

The Sugden was 2nd hand so burn it shouldn't be a problem, although it was serviced before sale, so a few components might need to settle down.

Clare, could you suggest a few interconnects worth demoing that would fit into, what I freely admit is a very warm system (intentionally) without suppressing anything?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Try out Chord Company's Chorus 2 - pricey, but worth it, and you can get deals.

I'd also try out Clearer Audio's sprightly Copper Line interconnect - available on 60 day home trial.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Clare,

Have arranged to demo both interconnects, so fingers crossed...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts