Gotta larf........

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I was 'in' to hifi back in the early '80s, then over the last 18 months started fiddling and tweaking my old system, replacing (eventually) everything I started with. Fortunately, in between all this I continued to enjoy listening to music. It's been fun, and not too expensive. Well, maybe a bit.

Anyway, after a few months I moved the CA 650 amp and CD combo to another room, as I found it too shrill and piercing at times. Got the NAD 326 and 545 combo instead, which sounded better. Then I thought, hmm, nice but..............? Maybe time to get rid of the ancient Kef Corelli speakers? Got the B&W 685s. Absolutely stunning, despite placement being far from ideal.........but, hang on, that bass is a bit prominent isn't it? Put the bungs in the ports, but that doesn't seem right, so out they come. Weeks of pleasurable listening follow. Hmm, maybe still a bit heavy on the bass, .............what about the CA amp & CD? Out they come. Well, I couldn't believe it. The CA stuff with the new speakers is amazing, even using my turntable. Transparent, solid, articulate soundstage, bass and treble. My quest is over. Or is it?[8-|]

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Which is precisely why many of us are so reluctant to get rid of kit when we upgrade (much to the annoyance of the OH) - it would be the 'sensible' move to offset the cost of new kit.
emotion-5.gif

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
whiskywheels: The CA stuff with the new speakers is amazing, even using my turntable. Transparent, solid, articulate soundstage, bass and treble.

Yeah, synergy really does make all the difference. Sounds like you've got a winner.

whiskywheels:My quest is over. Or is it?
emotion-15.gif

I doubt it. I recognize myself in this post which means you've got a lot more money to spend yet
emotion-4.gif

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
whiskywheels:
I was 'in' to hifi back in the early '80s, then over the last 18 months started fiddling and tweaking my old system, replacing (eventually) everything I started with. Fortunately, in between all this I continued to enjoy listening to music. It's been fun, and not too expensive. Well, maybe a bit.

Anyway, after a few months I moved the CA 650 amp and CD combo to another room, as I found it too shrill and piercing at times. Got the NAD 326 and 545 combo instead, which sounded better. Then I thought, hmm, nice but..............? Maybe time to get rid of the ancient Kef Corelli speakers? Got the B&W 685s. Absolutely stunning, despite placement being far from ideal.........but, hang on, that bass is a bit prominent isn't it? Put the bungs in the ports, but that doesn't seem right, so out they come. Weeks of pleasurable listening follow. Hmm, maybe still a bit heavy on the bass, .............what about the CA amp & CD? Out they come. Well, I couldn't believe it. The CA stuff with the new speakers is amazing, even using my turntable. Transparent, solid, articulate soundstage, bass and treble. My quest is over. Or is it?
emotion-15.gif

Funny you mention this combination of Cambridge audio and B&W bookshelf speakers...

I sorted out a little system for my parents (not audiophiles but love music, small room, limited funds etc.) with CA 300 series amp / CDP / tuner into my old B&W 303 speakers on generic heavy iron stands. Sounds lovely. Very musical. Not incredibly detailed, but lovely to listen to in their house. All very satisfied with the result! Sounded as good as my old Arcam A65 amp into the same speakers for a lot less dollars.... Goes to show that you can get a lovely listening experience for very reasonable funds if the combination of gear is good in the right room etc.

Just my 2 cents...

A

Anonymous

Well yes funny because NAD326+B&W685 are a popular recommendation and CA and same B&W not so much...

I even run NAD C326+ B&W 685 + Subwoofer
emotion-2.gif

It means it all comes down to personnal taste...

A

Anonymous

I always found B&W to be big on bass anyway. It may be just what the CA's needed for your ears to like it.

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Robbylion:

Well yes funny because NAD326+B&W685 are a popular recommendation

Uh oh. Perhaps I should just swap it all round again and check it out.......no, no...........someone stop me.........please!!

emotion-3.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
whiskywheels:Uh oh. Perhaps I should just swap it all round again and check it out.......no, no...........someone stop me.........please!!

emotion-3.gif

Don't change just because somebody else likes something else.

Rega make excellent turntables and your amp and CD player were "System of the year" in a publication that normally considers the total price of your system to be fair money for an 'entry level' interconnect!

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/assets/documents/HIFI68+CAMBRIDGEp29HI.PDF

SteveR750

I would never keep my old kit, because the new stuff is so much better its not even worth considering. If this wasn't so, I would never have paid out money for the upgrade in the first place!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts