Got a Nad C326BEE and a pair of EB1, but need a source...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello

I had ordered a Marantz CD6003 but the dealar has unexpected delivery problems and my patience is up. I am currently using a PS3 as a source!

I chose the Marantz based on the Ipod compatability, so I think my next step should be a dac and continue to use the PS3 or get a squeezebox.

The ones that I am considering are:

The Beresford Caiman

CA DacMagic but is expensive at 340 quid here in Switzerland

V-Dac

But I am not sure which would fit best into my system (the caiman review reccommends system matching for best results).

I listen mostly to Vampire Weekend, Animal collective, Muse, The XX, Arcade Fire, Belle and sebastian, Grizzly bear, Spoon, Interpol, The national, Pheonix, Röyksopp, Wilco and that kind of stuff..

All recommendations will be appreciated.

A

Anonymous

You could do what I have done which is rip your cd's to lossless (wav), transfer them to an external hdd and connect that to your ps3. I haven't heard the Beresford Caiman but owning the modded Beresford 7510 I can say I am extremely happy with the results.

A

Anonymous

That is what I was planning to do.

A plus for the Beresford stuff is that it has blue leds to go with the NAD ;)

A

Anonymous

Hi rjes,

The Caiman is honestly fantastic and great value. It is the real deal.

I am over the moon with my purchase. weirdly it does suddenly come alive with a few hours play.

D

A

Anonymous

Well... Ive had a Dacmagic on home demo for a good day now...

I have been doing some tests using the PS3 Slim as a source (320kb MP3 files). I have the analogue output connected directly to the Nad and then the Dacmagic via optical on another input. By switching between the inputs on the amp I can do A/B comparisons.

Neither through the loudspeakers or headphones am I picking up any notable differences between the two...

Strange...

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Go for the matching NAD C545BEE CDP or if you're feeling up to it; the Rega Apollo

Your amp and especially the speakers will thank you for it
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Well...

As I returned the DacMagic I asked if I should really be having a hard time differentiating between a dacmagic and a ps3 and the guy ( apart from CA he is representing Naim, Creek, Cyrus and some high end German makes) said:

"Well thats what those home auditions are for, you know. The DacMagic is actually more for people playing music out of their PC. The PS3 is acutually quite good, Sony did not stuff it up with some garbage, you would have to spend quite a bit more in order to truly get an improvement"

I was actually quite disappointed, I was hoping that my system was having some "easy" potential left...

A

Anonymous

I am confused, what were you actually comparing? i only see one source mentioned

A

Anonymous

I was comparing 320 kbs MP3 files by having the DacMagic connected optically to the PS3 on one channel of the C326BEE to a another channel where the PS3 was connected directly with a RCA cable.

I then switched channels, repeatedly, on the amp to make a comparison in real time.

A

Anonymous

Firstly you should be using wav files, secondly switching back and forth won't discern anything, you need to listen to the track via ps3 dac and then likewise with the external dac.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts