Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - sacd or 96/24 download ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Yup, my redundant Virgin email address did the trick, I'm registered on HD Tracks now so I'll see about trying some High Res in the near future. They've got some nice jazz there that I'm a bit keen on trying.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
DIB said:
Yup, my redundant Virgin email address did the trick, I'm registered on HD Tracks now ... They've got some nice jazz there that I'm a bit keen on trying.

Glad it worked.

Yep, plenty of fine jazz in 88-96/24, including (IMHO):

Sophisticated Ladies (Melody Gardot, Renée Fleming et al). Recent release, fine performances, great hi-res SQ.

Coltrane's A Love Supreme - it'd be rude not to!

Jon Hassell's Fascinoma - great example of the hi-res format and meticulous, 'unprocessed' recording tech; has a heeoooge dynamic range.

And there're plenty more goodies :)

But, if you have an SACD player, it's worth cross-referencing the cost of the SACD versions on Amazon, which are sometimes cheaper than HD Tracks's hi-res DLs ;)

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
6th.replicant said:
DIB said:
Yup, my redundant Virgin email address did the trick, I'm registered on HD Tracks now ... They've got some nice jazz there that I'm a bit keen on trying.

Glad it worked.

Yep, plenty of fine jazz in 88-96/24, including (IMHO):

Sophisticated Ladies (Melody Gardot, Renée Fleming et al). Recent release, fine performances, great hi-res SQ.

Coltrane's A Love Supreme - it'd be rude not to!

Jon Hassell's Fascinoma - great example of the hi-res format and meticulous, 'unprocessed' recording tech; has a heeoooge dynamic range.

And there're plenty more goodies :)

But, if you have an SACD player, it's worth cross-referencing the cost of the SACD versions on Amazon, which are sometimes cheaper than HD Tracks's hi-res DLs ;)

No I dont have a SACD player, actually until my MCR603 arrives I dont own a stand alone CD player now.

There is quite a bit of ECM hi-res on there that interests me.

The Keith Jarrett 24/96 DL of "The Koln Concert" is $17.98 (£12.00) which is OK.

I've seen plenty of stuff for about $12 too, so once payday comes around I may well treat myself
smiley-smile.gif

T

the record spot

I have several copies of GYBR on disc, including the MoFi, the SACD and the original 2CD fatbox on the West German DJM label. All of which are excellent. The SACD is good, but not massively better - it's one of those releases where you can do quite nicely with any of them, although I prefer the MoFi as it fits everything onto the one disc. It's also one of the more readily available of their discs too - got mine for £7 in Edinburgh's (brilliant) Hogs Head secondhand CD shop a few years ago.

EDIT: Just listening to the West German 2CD issue and it's brilliant, lovely bass, drums sound great, nice balance overall. You could get this for a fiver most likely off Amazon or the like.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts