Good Turntable/Speaker/Amp beginner setup

paulb22

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi, apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I've become interested in collecting vinyl records, and am looking to get a good turntable/stereo and amplifier setup (I've heard I may also need a pre-amp as well). I live in the Manchester area of the UK, and my budget is about £400. All I want to do is to listen to vinyl on it, nothing like Dj'ing or anything like that. By most record shops I've contacted I've been advised to get my setup from a company called Richer Sounds, which apparently do speaker and amp bundles.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Paul

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
i would advise 2nd hand if your budget is £400

Start with a used Denon/Marantz/Nad amp with built in phono stage (this amplifys the Turntables output)

Maybe a used Project Debut TT

If you could stretch your budget a bit more then it would pay dividends!

paulb22

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I could maybe stretch to about £500.

I've looked at your recommendations is the Marantz 5004 (which has built in Phono Stage) an amp worth getting. Not sure about the turntable, even used it might stretch out of my budget, how about speakers? Any good recommendations

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
paulb22 said:
I've become interested in collecting vinyl records...

Is it too late to stop?

evil.png

jcarruthers

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Go secondhand — don't spend too much and see if you like it or not.

If you don't like it you can flog it.

If you love it then you can look at flogging it and upgrading.

Either way you won't have wasted much money.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Vinyl requires a lot of commitment!

The rewards are there if you take the time to keep things clean, look after your vinyl (clean then pop in a Nagaoka Anti Static Sleeve) brush every side before you play etc etc not forgetting the fun part of scouring used record stores & fairs.

I have best of both worlds, but my vinyl is my main source with digital not far behind!

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Heres a new system that would fall in budget.

Denon PMA520AE - £139.95 - Richer sounds

Q Acoustics 2020i - £164.99 - Richer sounds

That leaves around £200 for a turntable - e.g. Project Essential turntable

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Blackdawn said:

Excellent!! Go for a Rega RP1 though!

matthewpiano

stevebrock said:
Blackdawn said:

Excellent!! Go for a Rega RP1 though!

Yep, you won't go far wrong with the Denon/Q Acoustics pairing, but I agree a Rega RP1 would be a better bet than the Project. Should be a cracking system.

paulb22

May 8, 2013
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Vinyl requires a lot of commitment!

The rewards are there if you take the time to keep things clean, look after your vinyl (clean then pop in a Nagaoka Anti Static Sleeve) brush every side before you play etc etc not forgetting the fun part of scouring used record stores & fairs.

I have best of both worlds, but my vinyl is my main source with digital not far behind!

What cleaning methods can be used, I've seen many different videos on YouTube but all seem to have their own method, what would you recommend

If I get the Rega RP1 is the stylus and cartridge upgradable later down the line.

Thanks for all the great answers and advice

Joshuamessenger

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I found the rega dull and unentertaining with no real drive, what did come as a shock to me as i when in with the full intention of buying it. After testing the project SE3 the music come alive with personality and musical drive. i did test in shop with following equipment,

Sugden A21SE Amplifier

Project Tube Box MkII Phono Stage

Monitor audio gx50

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
The RP1 will accept another cartridge yes, but you can only take the deck so far before you start spending more than the deck is worth!

I think the RP1 with performance is more than adequate for a newbie, if you take to it save for a better deck!

I was warned by a mate that if I got into vinyl it would be expensive.....he was right I am on an RP3 and just about to pull the trigger on an RP6 and yes i am addicted to vinyl!

paulb22

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, thanks for all the help, got my turntable amp and speakers yesterday, i'm about to set them up tommorrow. I take it the turntable usually connects into the amplifier and then the amplifier connects to the speakers? Cheers, Paul

TubularTechnician

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Yep thats it. (Feels strange giving advice as I'm a newbie too :) , but not to many people about tonight)

I'm loving listening to my old vinyl again. Can't believe I was in John Lewis today and they're selling vinyl. Not much, but reasonably cheap. £20 for an LP and matching CD combo.

paulb22

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, thanks for all the help, got my Turntable/speakers/amp setup yesterday, look ok with the positioning. Just need to get more records now, that 1 record you see is the only 1 I have!

DSCF0120.jpg

A

Anonymous

Now the fun begins and the money rolls out.

Enjoy the vinyl some bargains to be had out there.

Nothing like removing record from sleeve placing on TT and lowering arm.

Listen and enjoy

PS system looks nice

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Hey nice one!

What TT did you get? Did you go for the Rega RP1?

Well I have just got home and unpacked my RP6/Exact - in one word WOW!!!!

It will be a late night tonight!

AmigaNut

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Hey nice one!

What TT did you get? Did you go for the Rega RP1?

Well I have just got home and unpacked my RP6/Exact - in one word WOW!!!!

It will be a late night tonight!

Looks like he got the RP1 with carbon cartridge form zooming in to the pic.

AmigaNut

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Be better if you could get those speakers a bit further apart, try and look for some cheap stands on ebay - it really will make them sing at their best!

Dont worry about 1 record - as long as you are enjoying what you have then thats all that matters!

Get yourself to some charity and 2nd hand record shops - plenty of bargains to be had!

Just check and make sure they are clean & scratch free!

To me, half the enjoyment of vinyl is searching & finding hidden gems then rushing home to play them!

One word of warning, it gets addictive!

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
For £400 to £500 I'd get a Lenco or a Garrard 401. Maybe a Japanese direct drive Pioneer PL71, Sony PSX6750, Kenwood KD 990. Plus a new Denon 103 or 110 cartridge. I'd look out for a battleship Japanese integrated amp Sony ES, Sansui AU, Onkyo Integra, Kenwood, Pioneer - that sort of thing. It'd all be down to what I saw a good deal on first. I wouldn't buy any hi-fi from Richer Sounds, but can understand why other people are happy to do so.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
lindsayt said:
For £400 to £500 I'd get a Lenco or a Garrard 401. Maybe a Japanese direct drive Pioneer PL71, Sony PSX6750, Kenwood KD 990. Plus a new Denon 103 or 110 cartridge. I'd look out for a battleship Japanese integrated amp Sony ES, Sansui AU, Onkyo Integra, Kenwood, Pioneer - that sort of thing. It'd all be down to what I saw a good deal on first. I wouldn't buy any hi-fi from Richer Sounds, but can understand why other people are happy to do so.

I think your too late to the party!

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Get yourself to some charity and 2nd hand record shops - plenty of bargains to be had!

Just check and make sure they are clean & scratch free!

To me, half the enjoyment of vinyl is searching & finding hidden gems then rushing home to play them!

One word of warning, it gets addictive!

Can agree MORE!!! On 10 December 2012 i had a old Technics from a friend of mine, it was lying down in is garage and i took it home, next day went to my Rega dealer to have a look at the stylus and a over all check up, bought a record at his shop The Smith - Strangeways, Here We Come 180gr.

Connected the TT to my Rega Brio R and i knew from that moment i was doomed...

in January I was buying a Rega RP3 and at the present day i'm the proud owner of a 255 Vinyl albums!

Moust of all bought at second hand fairs! That is what i like the moust, finding good old records, cleaning them up, giving them all the lost glamour, put them in a new MoFy sleave and get the stylus down on them!

Oooh... Music to my ears... ;)

Best REGArds

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Strangeways, Here we come!!!!

im looking out for that, half tempted with the Smiths vinyl boxset!

is it a good recording? i love that album

TRENDING THREADS