Good Stereo Receiver For B&W 686 Bookshelf Speakers

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
2nd time posting...I think it ate my first attempt? Going to buy http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/Home_Audio/600_Series/686.html in white (wife likes the white).

Looking for good stereo amp options. Someone suggested the Rotel RA-12. I will mostly listen to vinyl records and occasionaly spotify or songs from my iphone or laptop etc.

I have no tv in this room and do not ever plan to so stereo only is fine for what I need.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Stereo receivers are remarkably thin on the ground these days, the best I know of that are generally available are the Yamaha R-N500 and the Onkyo TX-8050.

Maybe it would help if you were to specify more clearly what your requirements are. You do not mention Radio, which is the one function that separates a receiver from an amplifier, if you do not actually want FM, Dab or internet radio as part of the package, there are many more and better options. Tell us what you really need.

iMark

If you're in the UK it might be difficult to find a stereo receiver. Yamaha don't sell all their products in the UK, just the network receivers R-N301 and the R-N500. Denon and Marantz no longer make any. NAD don't sell theirs in the UK

Onkyo however do three models, including their network receiver. Harmon Kardon sell 2 models in the UK and Pioneer sell one.

From personal experience I can say that we really like our Yamaha R-S500. It's an old fashioned analogue stereo receiver with loads of inputs, a very decent phono stage and a rec out selector that is really helpful for recording phono while using the amp to listen to another source (a very rare feature nowadays). We already had an Airport Express and a DAC so we didn't need the extra digital features.

Yamaha do a very similar stereo receiver, the R-S700 with a few more features but also a detachable power cable. If you bought one on the European continent you simply change the lead to a British one. For us a receiver made a lot of sense: it saves a shelf for the tuner and I can't say the sound is limited in any way.

But to be perfectly honest: if we didn't already have an Airport Express and the DAC I would probably get the Yahama R-N500. It's an incredibly versatile piece of kit. The other Yamaha, the R-N301 doesn't have a phono stage.

If you're outside the UK you might find more brands and models.

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
I really appreciate the response. I would take FM radio of course but do not have any real need for it to be honest. I also have 0 plans for satellite radio if that helps. I plan to try out Tidal the new high definition streaming service as a possible replacement for my Spotify account.

So mainly vinyl records with streaming from https://tidalhifi.com/us/video/explore-tidal over apple air play if possible.

Also, I am in the USA if that makes any difference to any suggestions. Thanks again for your help!

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Perhaps look at a vintage receiver .... Some really good ones (especilly the old Pioneers and Sansui, Kenwood etc) crop up often on ebay .... but get one of the more powerful ones

Have it serviced (there is a guy in the USA who is good and services them with original parts (if available) ... his website/name is Echowars)

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I'd love a Pioneer SX 9800

1108845515.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts