Good quality speaker cables or bi-wire

A

Anonymous

Hmm... and the answer is... "yes". Or "no". Here's what could happen: you decide to go with single wiring and spend 30 quid on 6 metres of QED. Then, after a few weeks of listening to your system, you start thinking, "but what if...?" And then go and spend 60 quid on 6 metres of QED silver anniversary biwire. Total cost, £90. Personally, I'd buy the biwire from the start and effectively save yourself 30 quid. That kind of saving should help you to justify the expense :)

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I have to disagree I'm afraid. Unless you intend to biamp, stick with the single cables. Biwiring will make little or no difference. If you buy a power amp at some time in the future, also budget to buy yourself another set of cables and it will make a significant difference.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="tractorboy"]Hmm... and the answer is... "yes". Or "no". Here's what could happen: you decide to go with single wiring and spend 30 quid on 6 metres of QED. Then, after a few weeks of listening to your system, you start thinking, "but what if...?" And then go and spend 60 quid on 6 metres of QED silver anniversary biwire. Total cost, £90. Personally, I'd buy the biwire from the start and effectively save yourself 30 quid. That kind of saving should help you to justify the expense :)[/quote]

If you decide to bi-wire after single wiring, just buy another set of cable the same as the first - two lots of single wired cable is the same, less a "bit of glue", as a bi-wire cable.
Better still would be to spend a little more, up to the point of being "good enough" but not beyond, on you single run of cable which will probably give you better results now, and then if you add another amp you'll have forgotten about the extra dosh you spent and won't mind doing it again. Maybe!

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
In my experience, I have found biwiring to give better results then a single wire.

I am still amazed that some people can not hear it. But I suppose It all comes down the individual.

Best advice I can give is to try it out with a cheaper pair of cables, if your hear an improvement like smoother top, tighter (less boxy bass) and better depth then invest in some reasonable cables. If not then invest in a good single cable.

Some people say that biwiring with good cables does not yield much , again my experiences says otherwise.

John Duncan

Find a good, but preferably unfashionable and unreviewed, biwire cable from a (fashionable and well-reviewed) decent manufacturer on eBay. I got 10m of Atlas 3.1 (or something) for about 20 quid.

A

Anonymous

I suspect it's easier to hear the difference that removing the 'gold bar' makes over the actual bi-wiring itself. Try replacing the bar with a little run of the speaker cable. Through my experience I would def spend more on single wire rather than less to have bi-wire. However, you may want to put bi-wire in in preparation for a future bi-amp upgrade!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts