Question Good headphones for harder styles

zico1990

May 6, 2020
Visit site
Hi people,

I want to buy the Sony WH-1000XM3 or Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless (leaning towards the Sennheiser) but I would really like to know if they can handle harder styles of music like hardstyle, dubstep and hard house, particularly the bass?
I really like to feel the bass vibrate if you know what I mean.

Last year I bought a Pioneer HRM-7 and the sound was crisp and good on low to mid volume but the bass was terrible so I'm a bit scared to make another big purchase.

Thanks in Advance.

D

Deleted member 188533

Has it got to be wireless? An easy to drive wired option with real sub bass exists. They took the 1770 Pro and reduced the ear piercing highs and made it easy to drive.

The DT770 has good bass as well but it's no where nearly as refined as the 177X. They have that bright treble. They're quite a bit cheaper though and probably easier to get unless you're in the US.

If you want the best bass headphones under $2000 look for the Massdrop x Fostex TH-X00 series. They aren't being made right now but you can probably find them on ebay. They aren't something I'd try and use portable though.

chris661

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
I did a write-up of the Bose 700 Headphones around here. They're very good, and handle everything I've thrown at them well, including dubstep like Truth or Kaiju.

That said, they won't vibrate your skull. Something with tactile transducers built-in might be worth a look for you. SkullCandy do some which sound okay normally, but the TT has a strong 50Hz booooommmmmm to it if you turn it all the way up. Used in moderation, though, it's a pretty interesting effect.

Hope this helps.
Chris

zico1990

May 6, 2020
Visit site
Has it got to be wireless? An easy to drive wired option with real sub bass exists. They took the 1770 Pro and reduced the ear piercing highs and made it easy to drive.

The DT770 has good bass as well but it's no where nearly as refined as the 177X. They have that bright treble. They're quite a bit cheaper though and probably easier to get unless you're in the US.

If you want the best bass headphones under $2000 look for the Massdrop x Fostex TH-X00 series. They aren't being made right now but you can probably find them on ebay. They aren't something I'd try and use portable though.
Thanks, the 1770 Pro looks very good too. But what do you mean with drive? I'm not at all technical sorry.

D

Deleted member 188533

Needing a headphone amp or not. The regular DT1770 is 250ohm and needs an amp. The Massdrop x Beyerdynamic DT 177X Go is only 32ohm and made for portable devices. It doesn't need an amp although it will benefit from one. Some people find the DT1770 to be 'bright' or 'hot' in the highs ( that doesn't mean you will or that you won't like them even if you do find them bright ). They fixed that with the 177X Go and tamed the highs a bit.

zico1990

May 6, 2020
Visit site
Needing a headphone amp or not. The regular DT1770 is 250ohm and needs an amp. The Massdrop x Beyerdynamic DT 177X Go is only 32ohm and made for portable devices. It doesn't need an amp although it will benefit from one. Some people find the DT1770 to be 'bright' or 'hot' in the highs ( that doesn't mean you will or that you won't like them even if you do find them bright ). They fixed that with the 177X Go and tamed the highs a bit.
So to sum it up a little for myself.
I will use it on my laptop and sometimes (probably close to never) on my phone.
I want very good sound with a nice hard bass.
So the 177X Go is my best bet?

And what about Sony WH-1000XM3 or Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless?

Sorry for all the questions but you are really really helping me out! With the lockdown here I can't go and test things out myself.

D

Deleted member 188533

The 177X Go is a big step up in sound quality from the Sony or the Sennheiser. You lose active noise cancellation and gain a wire though. They are one of the only 'audiophile' headphones that are easy to drive, portable and have real honest to goodness sub bass though. Good bass that doesn't muddy the rest of the frequencies. They're also quite good in the midrange and treble. Very comparable to my ( very good ) DT1990 Pro only closed back.

Now if you're in Europe or the UK you may have to pay a VAT to buy from Drop. They had a European storefront for a while with the VAT included in pricing but this pandemic has put that on hold I believe.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzWyjN0pDR8

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1WshoNeVl8

If you can find one a Massdrop x Fostex TH or TR-X00 also from Massdrop ( Drop, they changed the name last year ) is hands down the best bass headphone under $2000 USD. You might be able to find one on ebay as they aren't currently in production. They also have wood cups that are easy to scratch and are best suited for home use. The TH-X00 Ebony is my favorite headphone. It's the closest thing I've heard to strapping full range speakers to your head.

I love these.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pFM_hW33bw

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLqAMg9NvB4

TRENDING THREADS