Good Dolby Atmos demo scenes?

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
i want a demo of dolby atmos ASAP to see if it's worthwhile me getting it, i tried a demo of atmos before at superfi but it was terrible, setup wrong so i am hoping another demo at richer sounds will not have the same issues.

does anyone have any certain scenes that have a lot of overhead effects to demo?

i plan to go in over the week, and if i get atmos it will be the upfiring alternative due to my room not allowing for ceiling speakers.

also, if anyone knows will a 5.1.2 atmos setup work with dts:x or does that require different speaker positioning?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
bigboss said:
My favourite is Mad Max Fury Road. Gravity and Everest are also superb.

Check this out:

https://www.avforums.com/article/top-ten-dolby-atmos-blu-rays.11768

DTS:X will work with Atmos setup.

Hi bigboss
Do you find atmos much better than standard 5.1?

Could you go back or would you miss it?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
+1

Although I have to say in our 19 ft x 12 ft media room it's hard to fully make out the point four bit of our 7.2.4 setup sometimes. I think, perhaps, we could have made do with 7.2.2, but the speakers are in the ceiling already and I'm sure as Sherlock not pulling them out!

The blast off scene near 2/3rds through The Martian is superb though, and my Marantz 7010 makes a good job of simulating the effects with the helicopters flying overhead in the "Charlie don't surf" parts of Apocalypse Now as well.

PS I really wish Dave Brock would re-create some of the old Hawkwind stuff remixed for Atmos! Trippy man ! Tri-i-i-pee!!

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Has anybody watched batman v superman in atmos? If so which scenes have a lot of overhead effects?

Might try out transformers 4, sicario and bvs from the discs i own currently.

I'm yet to watch Batman v Superman, but this is what Steve Withers says:

Steve Withers[/b] reviewed the [/b]Dolby Atmos soundtrack on a 7.2.4-channel setup[/b] – No one could ever accuse Zak Snyder of subtlety, whether it's in terms of his visual aesthetic or his sound design, but the Dolby Atmos soundtrack for Batman v Superman must rank as the most aggressive audio he has ever unleashed on cinema-goers. It's a sonic assault from start to finish with the sound designers taking full advantage of the object-based format to utterly immerse the viewer in the film's bloated environment. The use of bass is often overpowering with the battle between the titular heroes simply shaking the foundations with massive amounts of low frequency energy. Every punch is like a sledgehammer, every kick like a demolition ball. This is sound designed turned up to eleven.

What's amazing is that within all the aural chaos the Dolby Atmos soundtrack manages to remain so precise, with dialogue still centred and clear, even Batman's processed voice or Lex Luthor's mannered delivery. The effects are seamlessly steered around the room, creating an immersive sound field that makes use of all the available speakers, including those overhead. The bombastic score is also perfectly mixed into the rest of the audio design, weaving each character's own them within the whole. The result is a soundtrack that's essentially a series of demos scenes, one after the other from start to finish. So if you're looking for the kind of soundtrack that can justify your investment in a new immersive audio setup, this is the film for you. Just make sure you warn the neighbours before you start watching the disc.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
bigboss said:
I'm yet to watch Batman v Superman, but this is what Steve Withers says:

Steve Withers reviewed the Dolby Atmos soundtrack on a 7.2.4-channel setup – No one could ever accuse Zak Snyder of subtlety, whether it's in terms of his visual aesthetic or his sound design, but the Dolby Atmos soundtrack for Batman v Superman must rank as the most aggressive audio he has ever unleashed on cinema-goers. It's a sonic assault from start to finish with the sound designers taking full advantage of the object-based format to utterly immerse the viewer in the film's bloated environment. The use of bass is often overpowering with the battle between the titular heroes simply shaking the foundations with massive amounts of low frequency energy. Every punch is like a sledgehammer, every kick like a demolition ball. This is sound designed turned up to eleven.What's amazing is that within all the aural chaos the Dolby Atmos soundtrack manages to remain so precise, with dialogue still centred and clear, even Batman's processed voice or Lex Luthor's mannered delivery. The effects are seamlessly steered around the room, creating an immersive sound field that makes use of all the available speakers, including those overhead. The bombastic score is also perfectly mixed into the rest of the audio design, weaving each character's own them within the whole. The result is a soundtrack that's essentially a series of demos scenes, one after the other from start to finish. So if you're looking for the kind of soundtrack that can justify your investment in a new immersive audio setup, this is the film for you. Just make sure you warn the neighbours before you start watching the disc.

That's what i wanted to hear!

Nathan

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
He seems to have missed off the advice to turn the TV off though and just listen to the audio. Even my son (who is seven) only managed 10 minutes before saying "Daddy this is stinky boring. I'm going to do my homework." I doubted his early review and watched on. He was right

TRENDING THREADS