Good amp/speaker combo for a Rega Planar 3 + Denon 103r

shuttle

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Am currently using a Cyrus One with Tannoy 607's on stands. Am happy with the sound, but would like to take it up a notch or two. Was thinking of Cyrus 2 with PSX and possibly a floor standing speaker, possibly Tdl Rtl 2's or 3's.

Might it be worth aiming a little higher perhaps?

I listen to a fair variety of music, but with a leaning more towards 70's rock, jazz and classical.

I probably have a budget of around £300-£500.

Any suggestions would be warmly welcomed.

Many thanks,

Sam

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
To be honest I don't really understand your question, you are looking to upgrade but only have £500? I don't think you can get a Cyrus 2 with PSX and FS for that price. Presume you are looking for used gear?

Roman Totale

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I don't have a simple answer, but do remember that most recent amps will not have phono pre-amps built in, so you need to either find one that does or budget to buy a separate one.

Have you had a look on ebay for used gear? At present they have a Cyrus two with bidding currently at £74 and due to finish Thursday 29th. Never heard a Cyrus 2, but if you have a Cyrus 1 seems a reasonable bet you will find it an improvement.

You could also make a bit more cash by selling your old kit on ebay.

Roman Totale

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
Arcam 7, 8 and 9 amps had decent phono stages, when many amps stopped having them. I still use an 8 and 8P with a Rega Planar 2 in my second system.

My main system is a Cyrus XTse2 and DAC XP and the Rega Arcam set up doesn't sound bad in comparison, although a warmer and less detailed sound than the Cyrus.

Ebay have a Arcam 7 for 'Buy it Now' £149 and an 8 for £169. Don't know how good a deal that is: they were only double that when they came out, and that was a long time ago, but they probably still have a market for vinyl fans. BIN priced items don't always sell so they might accept an offer.

There is always a stream of new items on ebay so you can take your time - rarely is anything a once in a lifetime bargain.

shuttle

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the input.

Yeah I was trying to make an improvement to the sound I currently had and also to try and get the best our of the turntable and cartridge within a £500 budget.

After reading the reviews, it seemed that the cyrus 2 wasn't much difference to the cyrus 1. Some say when coupled with the PSX the cyrus 2 was a much better entity. I was wondering if I were to go down that route, what would be a good speaker pairing for the planar 3, denon 103r and a cyrus 2 with PSX. From reading through some forums the tdl Rtls 2 & 3 seem to pair well with the cyrus 2, but I have no personal frame of reference.

i forgot to mention that I also have a project phono stage. After hearing your ideas of goi g an at am route, would this change anything?

Many thanks,

Sam

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts