good active speakers

A

Anonymous

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/4932

NB These are refurb units but come with warranty and Superfi are a reputable company so you will have no problems.

Epos make some great speakers - I think you will find these hard to beat for the money.

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Just been informed that, as yet, there is no dedicated section relating to reviews on Active Speakers. I too would like to put a couple on my Panny TV. Anyone recommend some real cheapos' that operate with remote control. By 'cheapo' I mean £150 or less.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
imo you can't get a decent active pair for that price!

The starting point would be Adam A5 which I think is around £500 although Tannoy active worth a look at £100 less

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Thaiman:

The starting point would be Adam A5 which I think is around £500 although Tannoy active worth a look at £100 less

Yeah, I see your point Thaiman. But my thinking is as follows - the sound reproduction out of pretty well all modern TVs is pretty dire, due to the tiny speakers fitted. So, not wishing to go the AV receiver route, thought I would utilise the audio outs into active speakers. Even at the real cheapo end of the range, its bound to sound better than the speakers fitted in the TV.

A

Anonymous

The answer is buy an external dac, connect an optical from your cable box (if it has one) then connect it via it's rca phono cables to the active speaker?

A

Anonymous

There are plenty of active speakers with DACs from Meridian or AVI on the domestic side, or JBL, Edirol and many, many more on the pro. side.

A

Anonymous

Of course they are but they are also very expensive and since the budget of this person is limited it seemed a sensible suggestion.

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
hi fi newbie:The answer is buy an external dac, connect an optical from your cable box (if it has one) then connect it via it's rca phono cables to the active speaker?

Hmm, there's me trying to keep this as a pretty cheap way of improving the sound from the telly and now there's a dac involved as well as the speakers. (Aarrrgghhh). Will have to look into this a bit more methinks.

A

Anonymous

Let me be clear, you need speaker stands and those Aktimate Epoz mini's have won rave review from many publications.

Now you don't have to purchase an external dac, that's just an optional thing, but it will improve the sound quality from the cable box (again assuming you have a v plus box) or a sky box with a digital optical output etc. Your speakers will still sound very good without an external dac. However this could be something you do later and when you do, scour ebay, there are lots of second hands dac's being sold at the moment.

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Okay, thanks for that hi fi newbie, and the rest of you who have made suggestions. A few things for me to think about now.

Apologies to the the guy who started this thread for kinda hijacking it today.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
8009514:Thaiman:

Yeah, I see your point Thaiman. But my thinking is as follows - the sound reproduction out of pretty well all modern TVs is pretty dire, due to the tiny speakers fitted. So, not wishing to go the AV receiver route, thought I would utilise the audio outs into active speakers. Even at the real cheapo end of the range, its bound to sound better than the speakers fitted in the TV.

Then my money will be on Yamaha Sound bar, you can pick them up around £250ish. If you must have a pair of Active speakers then have a look at Tannoy reveal 5A.

A

Anonymous

8009514:
Okay, thanks for that hi fi newbie, and the rest of you who have made suggestions. A few things for me to think about now.

Apologies to the the guy who started this thread for kinda hijacking it today.

no problem mate its interesting hearing other options available

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts