Good £400 CD player? Please help!!!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there, After a few weeks of browsing other Forums, I decided here was one where I wouldn't get laughed at for not knowing my hi-fi onions.. Please prove me right, as i'm inheriting a system without a player and I don't know what to get. My brother's emigrating and not taking his hi-fi kit with him, so i'm finally getting the separates system i've wanted for some time (i've been listening to music through my laptop and some rubbish desktop speakers). It seems a decent set-up, as he only bought the amp and speakers about a year ago, I believe on What hifi recommendations. The amp is a Rotel RA-05, and the speakers Epos M12.2. Atacama rack and stands also included, plus Chord speaker cable and interconnects, but no CD player - thanks to my nephew somehow trashing the matching Rotel machine. I've got up to £400 to spend - which CD player would be best with the kit? I don't mind if it doesn't match, and I read elsewhere that the Rotel player wasn't much good anyway? Or should I blow my cash on a top-spec iPod classic and a dock? I love the flexibility of using my computer as a music source, and have a massive iTunes collection - though only an ancient iPod I use out-and-about. Help!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I'd go for a Marantz CD6002.

Wouldn't bother with the iPod dock route - you can plug your 'Pod or computer into the Rotel amp with a simple 'headphone jack to two phonos' cable, and have the best of both worlds.

Meanwhile, here's a Quantity of Soles

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Paulq"]Slightly OT from the original topic but do you know why my Ipod won't work when I use aforementioned cable with my Marantz PM6002?[/quote]

Not a clue. Should just be a simple audio cable from the headphone socket - can't see that affecting the operation of the player.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Quantum of Solace"]Hi there,

After a few weeks of browsing other Forums, I decided here was one where I wouldn't get laughed at for not knowing my hi-fi onions.. Please prove me right, as i'm inheriting a system without a player and I don't know what to get.

My brother's emigrating and not taking his hi-fi kit with him, so i'm finally getting the separates system i've wanted for some time (i've been listening to music through my laptop and some rubbish desktop speakers). It seems a decent set-up, as he only bought the amp and speakers about a year ago, I believe on What hifi recommendations.

The amp is a Rotel RA-05, and the speakers Epos M12.2. Atacama rack and stands also included, plus Chord speaker cable and interconnects, but no CD player - thanks to my nephew somehow trashing the matching Rotel machine.

I've got up to £400 to spend - which CD player would be best with the kit? I don't mind if it doesn't match, and I read elsewhere that the Rotel player wasn't much good anyway?

Or should I blow my cash on a top-spec iPod classic and a dock? I love the flexibility of using my computer as a music source, and have a massive iTunes collection - though only an ancient iPod I use out-and-about.

Help!
[/quote]

Should be able to get an Arcam CD73 for approx £400. An oldie but a goodie!!

T

the record spot

You'll often pick up a deal on Cyrus gear - the £600 CD player range usually drops to £450 in advance of the new ranges coming out. Worth keeping an eye out with a local dealer and checking the sale lists online. Cyrus've been doing this for years.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Quantum of Solace"]I love the flexibility of using my computer as a music source,[/quote]

If you enjoy using your computer as a source you could always get youself a Onkyo UWL1 for around £50, I bought one recently as a present for a relative from RS, works really well. If you need to go the wireless route, if your source is not close enough to your amp to use a cable, its worth a look.

A

Anonymous

Thanks so much for all your help - I like the look of the Marantz Andrew recommended, and then maybe adding a dock as well (with an iPod upgrade if I can scrape together a bit more cash).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts