Goldmund's luxury amp teases stunning precision and power – but the price will make your head spin

Hifiman

Apr 17, 2020
Visit site
I would normally defend the right for someone to spend their hard earned savings on something which is clearly an interest of theirs but I am becoming more uneasy when reading about new hifi products which are now costing incredible sums of money. We have these amplifiers which, combined with the Sonus Faber speakers announced at CES, would cost nearly £1m. And there is still need for a front end.

With all the issues affecting many at home and abroad I am not sure it is easy - in all conscience - to celebrate these products when the money paid to purchase them could probably be put to a better use. And I refer to both the customer and the manufacturer.

I wonder if I am alone in beginning to feel this way?

Last edited:

edcpadam

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
No, you're not alone.
Yes, people have the right to spend their money on whatever they wish. However, those figures in my opinion, are obscene. Will it sound great? I'm sure it will. Will it sound better than a power amp at a tenth of the price?(still way more than I'd ever spend on an amp). I don't know...define 'better'...
It's all (profanity deleted by moderation) as far as I'm concerned and yes, that money could be put to so much better use

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DougK1

EssentiallyJay

Aug 2, 2022
Visit site
I would normally defend the right for someone to spend their hard earned savings on something which is clearly an interest of theirs but I am becoming more uneasy when reading about new hifi products which are now costing incredible sums of money. We have these amplifiers which, combined with the Sonus Faber speakers announced at CES, would cost nearly £1m. And there is still need for a front end.

With all the issues affecting many at home and abroad I am not sure it is easy - in all conscience - to celebrate these products when the money paid to purchase them could probably be put to a better use. And I refer to both the customer and the manufacturer.

Have to say I'm fine with it.

Whilst there's obscene inequalities in the world you'll never outright prevent it as contrary to idealist beliefs not all people are born equal and there will always be those that overachieve and be in the market for such things

You can remain safe in the knowledge this is well into the extremes of diminishing returns in that a setup a 10th of the price will achieve the same sonics to all but the most precision measuring instruments.

Saved money is better spent on live concerts and theatre when not listening at home.

I lost despair or envy of such things decades ago - the only luxury I would add to my current setup is a dedicated sonically tuned room.

I expect your hifi setup is near equivalent otherwise...

Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site

I guess if you want to make it exclusive for the selective few, put a couple of zeros at the end of the price tag.
It's really a case of nothing to see, move on and, I think it would be well advised that WHF doesn't give exposure to this, and focus more on HiFi which are priced within most people's budget or allows them the means to purchase when funds become available.

Reactions: edcpadam and DougK1
There are bigger problems in the world.
Your post wasn't removed, but the offending word was. Please read forum rules - commenting on moderation is also not allowed. Feel free to take matters up with site admin if you wish, but as the rules were set by them I doubt you'll get much joy.

Forum rules are in a sticky at the start of each sub-forum. If you want to post here, you will have to abide by them.

Friesiansam

I have recently got to thinking that, all manufacturers of extreme high-end products, not just HiFi, all of them, are just exploiting the vanity of the super rich and their need to have something better (i.e. more expensive) than their mates.

Reactions: DougK1

EssentiallyJay

Aug 2, 2022
Visit site
I have recently got to thinking that, all manufacturers of extreme high-end products, not just HiFi, all of them, are just exploiting the vanity of the super rich and their need to have something better (i.e. more expensive) than their mates.
And...?

This is revelation?

Someone who paid $500 for a Philip Plein T-shirt knew it didn't cost significantly more to make than e.g. a superdry T-shirt.

They're not ignorant. It just isn't as important.

They'd rather shop in a place you can't afford, wear it in places you can't afford and look a way you can't afford.

I've met both types of rich (expect you have to) - a £4m+ a year income individual that has a modest TV, sizeable but not ostentatious home, tatty old media player who on the outside you wouldn't know was a HNWI. The opposite was true of a high spending Lamborghini owning $500k watch possessing guy I worked for who WOULD consider goods in this bracket.

he couldn't care less what you think of his 'vanity'.
In the big scheme of his life you'd be so far down his priority he'd barely register this if he read it (but he'd still entertain you in person. Near guarantee it.)

TRENDING THREADS