Going to the darkside

• Thread starter Deleted member 160668
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 160668

I've spent a good few years playing with amps, eventually realising that what I love is Class A...

Sugden brilliance is where it's at (if you haven't had the chance to hear a Sugden - do it!! Utterly superb amps)...

However, I've just fully dipped into the darkside... I've already played with valve DAC's and I've listened to other people's valve amp systems, but I've never owned my own...

Fastforward: I will shortly be collecting my Leak Stereo 20 amp, a full rebuild from 1961, and such exquisitely done, to a standard I've not seen before and for which I've ordered in some sweet valves for. This will be paired with a NVA P50 SA MKII upgraded pre, which by all accounts is a holy grail pairing.

On the end of my speakers, which were designed on/for low powered valve amps, I think may I be in for a treat. Exciting...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've spent a good few years playing with amps, eventually realising that what I love is Class A...

Sugden brilliance is where it's at (if you haven't had the chance to hear a Sugden - do it!! Utterly superb amps)...

However, I've just fully dipped into the darkside... I've already played with valve DAC's and I've listened to other people's valve amp systems, but I've never owned my own...

Fastforward: I will shortly be collecting my Leak Stereo 20 amp, a full rebuild from 1961, and such exquisitely done, to a standard I've not seen before and for which I've ordered in some sweet valves for. This will be paired with a NVA P50 SA MKII upgraded pre, which by all accounts is a holy grail pairing.

On the end of my speakers, which were designed on/for low powered valve amps, I think may I be in for a treat. Exciting...
Why is it the dark side?

You have said many times how much you love the Suggy, but this urge to upgrade seems to continue. What does this say about the Sugden, or like an illicit drug, you can't stop upgrading?

Reactions: WayneKerr

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
I couldn't resist a excellent deal on a prima luna dialogue premium hp a few weeks ago, I went to listen to a friends new Gato rs150, I was more interested in what he was doing with his prima luna. Lol, It didn't take long to strike a deal and I ended up with the amp and it's full set of valves (el34's) and a full set of kt120's along with a extra set of the pre amp valves, oh and I don't have this kind of money lying around, I had to sell my astro gear for this amplifier, but it's a amp I have coveted for many years.....and I live in Scotland and barely get to use my astro gear.lol.
I'm sure you will love the leak amp but, it's going to have a tough time living up to the Sugden, also on my most coveted list.lol...enjoy.

Reactions: Al ears

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
I have a sugden a21sig. It’s the first amp I have owned where I truly feel like I don’t need to upgrade.

In fact non of system I feel needs to be upgraded

Heresy 3, suggy and a chord qutest.

I got the qutest because it has class A output stages and I really wanted to lean into the class A sound. That and it’s just a nice thing and is very forward thinking where I won’t need to replace at all. It could do with one more optical input but that’s by the by.

I have well and truly found my for ever system. I do still want to add to it and get myself a turntable but I’m yet to still make decision on what I actually want
Marantz, technics and so on. I want to listen to the new project deck the one with the balanced outputs. Anyhow.

For me valves is a step to far I love the sound but I’m unwilling to live with them. And seeing as we have a suspended floor (town house with eco beams) there would be a lot of vibration going through them.

I’m sure you’ll enjoy leak though. I’m sure we would all love to see some pics when all set up.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts