Going 2nd hand with around a grand

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

Couple of questions for those in the know.

1. Second hand hi-fi dealers....

Other than eBay, can anyone recommend a good source for quality second hand hi-fi equipment?

2. The upgrade...

I'm keen to build a system from scratch with some decent bits of kit. I've got about 1000 quid earmarked for the pupose and a living room of 4m by 7m to put it in. Musically, I listen to an eclectic selection that ranges from Leon Redbone to Bonobo via Bill Frisell and ACDC.

Having seen Arcam CD73s go for around 230 quid on eBay, I'm considering going for second hand equipment rather than buying new. My aim is to 'beat' a Marantz CD6002 / Rotel RA-04 / B&W 685 combination for the same cost. Can anyone suggest a 3 piece system that might do this?

One concern I have with second hand equipment relates to use and abuse. My instinct tells me it might be best to buy new speakers (and cables etc) to go with a second hand CD player and Amp. Any thoughts on this or related points?

All comments warmly received.

Cheers,

SD

A

Anonymous

You'll get speaker cable *much* cheaper second hand. My 2x10m lengths of VDH teatrack cost just over a hundred quid. The stuff is (was?) 20 quid a metre new, plus another 150 or so for some chap to solder 16 (!) banana plugs on the ends.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
The list of 2nd hand hifi shop are as long as A3 paper but for some reason they are full with high end rather than budget! Buying 2md hand for £1000 I would be thinking of Meridian 206 @ £250 -£300 cd player (with build in preamp) , Musical fidelity A3.2 @ £350 - £400 amp and a pair of Acoustic energy AE1 @ 350.....Classical music heaven but will do justice with rock and dance too. I am a bit busy at the moment but will have a hunt for some dealers later on :)

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, guys.

Anyone else out there with an angle?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
As you are currently on line, you could do a lot worst than this for a grand. only 3 hours to go

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/cyrus-6-amp-cd-player-monitor-audio-silver-s6_W0QQitemZ160172942279QQihZ006QQcategoryZ3272QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]As you are currently on line, you could do a lot worst than this for a grand. only 3 hours to go

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/cyrus-6-amp-cd-player-monitor-audio-silver-s6_W0QQitemZ160172942279QQihZ006QQcategoryZ3272QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/quote]

+1 on the great spot! also, if you contact the seller you might even be able to demo the system... just a thought.

A

Anonymous

If you go on over to the hifiwigwam, there's private and dealer classified sections over there. They're a good bunch and mostly addicted box swappers, so good gear often comes up at less than ebay prices. Get on over to the 'wam!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
^^^My Neat MF5 Speakers in for sale there! :- ( A moment of madness...regreting it now but as a real gent I will not pull out.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]^^^My Neat MF5 Speakers in for sale there! :- ( A moment of madness...regreting it now but as a real gent I will not pull out.[/quote]

Aah - thats you! Nice speakers - seems most people think you should hang on to them!

A

Anonymous

I'm a recently joined Wammer! I'm the one with the blown up 740A Cambridge Audio amp that Tons of Fun sorted out the other week!

100Kg!!! good grief! Are they filled with sand or shot or something?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Pinhead! bingo. As you are only 1 hour-ish away from me you have to come to my next wigwam bake off! Great gears, great bunch of mad dudes and plenty of laugh.

A

Anonymous

Yeah - I'd love to join you guys for a bake off! That'd be cool! It'd be good to hear some really good gear and see (hear?!) wha hifi *can* sound like!

A

Anonymous

The powder is still dry. Will let you know if I get the moths out of my wallet and step into the market.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts