Going 2.1 Advice/experience

McRibbons

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone.

despite loving the overall presentation of my wee PMC's I feel like there is a slight lack of bass. I'm not after dub loving bass slam, but just a bit of bass weight when needed. So have any of you guys any experience in adding a sub to your hifi setup? I'm looking at something like this.....

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/XLS200.htm

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
McRibbons said:
Hi everyone.

despite loving the overall presentation of my wee PMC's I feel like there is a slight lack of bass. I'm not after dub loving bass slam, but just a bit of bass weight when needed.  So have any of you guys any experience in adding a sub to your hifi setup? I'm looking at something like this.....

Not a bad choice
Would not a speaker with a larger driver and more cab volume do the trick better?

If not then id go for the bk400 instead. Less effort

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Based on "slight lack of bass", and as long as your NAD is up to it, have you considered swapping out your Twenty.21 for the Twenty5.21? Might seem like an odd suggestion, but the Twenty5.21 have, in my opinion, more, and better bass than the Twenty.22s...

You'll also get all the other benefits of the Twenty5 range as well. Won't be quite as cheap as just adding a sub, but keeps the box count down.

McRibbons

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
As far as bigger speakers... I had considered KEF r300s but they are rear ported and my speakers need to be close to a wall, but at the minute I am probably, and only slightly, leaning towards trying a sub first.

McRibbons said:
Hi everyone.

despite loving the overall presentation of my wee PMC's I feel like there is a slight lack of bass. I'm not after dub loving bass slam, but just a bit of bass weight when needed. So have any of you guys any experience in adding a sub to your hifi setup? I'm looking at something like this.....

Not a bad choice, others you might consider are made by REL. Be aware though that integration of a sub successfully into a system especially when not using a proper 2.1 enabled amplifier can be difficult.

McRibbons

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
I have now read about the difficulty of integrating a sub a few times and that is the issue making me a little hesitant about stumping up for a sub because I enjoy the overall sound I am now getting so I don't want to mess that up.

Am I right in thinking that as the PMC's only go down to 50hz then no matter what amp I put on the front of them they are never going to rattle the windows (not that I am seeking those levels). The laws of physics cannot be denied ...except for Neat Iota Aphas. So perhaps instead of 'compromising' by adding a sub I just need to get bigger quality speakers...

insider9

How big is your room McR? I'm trying to integrate a REL sub since yesterday... That's using Umik-1 measurement mic, REW and Dirac Live. It's very difficult for a first time. It would be near impossible doing it by the ear and would no doubt take weeks. By which time you would no doubt get used to too much bass.

My suggestion would be to first do a room simulation, that can be done via REW (free to download and use). All you need is put measurements of your room and basic speaker/sub info as well place them and your listening position in the room. Check where would be the best spot to put the. It may be like in my case in the worst possible place in the room. It will also highlight what issues you might be experiencing.

insider9

You could quite easily have either floorstanders or even two subs.

Adding subs adds a layer of complexity to the setup. You'd be listening almost to room more than a sub in bass register. I'd say if you do it budget for extra £100 or so for Umik-1 so that you can at least better understand what's happening with your room and be able to deal with it.

It's a slippery slope though I'm already considering moving furniture about so that I can better integrate my sub. It's all part of a bigger experiment anyway and I'm having fun while learning and not complaining :)

Additionally as an option if your setup is digital, I'd say look at room correction like minidsp or Dirac live. It may get you better results overall and using your existing speakers get you that extra you're craving. Adding a sub afterwards would also be easier should you decide to do it.

McRibbons said:
I have now read about the difficulty of integrating a sub a few times and that is the issue making me a little hesitant about stumping up for a sub because I enjoy the overall sound I am now getting so I don't want to mess that up.

Am I right in thinking that as the PMC's only go down to 50hz then no matter what amp I put on the front of them they are never going to rattle the windows (not that I am seeking those levels). The laws of physics cannot be denied ...except for Neat Iota Aphas. So perhaps instead of 'compromising' by adding a sub I just need to get bigger quality speakers...

I would say yes. If it's just for music. It can be done but correct integration without totally messing up what you already have is / can be tricky.

Bass is a funny thing, good bass doesn't have to be very low frequency it can be just lowish frequencies produced very well.

Sorry to say that if your PMCs don't give you the bass response you want in your room then you bought the wrong speakers..... simples! Adding another complication is unlikely to resolve your deficit, rethink speakers and positioning before parting with cash on another type of speaker.

..... unless you own something like a Parasound Halo Integrated.... ;-)

McRibbons

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
McRibbons said:

I would say yes. If it's just for music. It can be done but correct integration without totally messing up what you already have is / can be tricky.

Bass is a funny thing, good bass doesn't have to be very low frequency it can be just lowish frequencies produced very well.

Sorry to say that if your PMCs don't give you the bass response you want in your room then you bought the wrong speakers..... simples! Adding another complication is unlikely to resolve your deficit, rethink speakers and positioning before parting with cash on another type of speaker.

..... unless you own something like a Parasound Halo Integrated.... ;-)

The facilities manager will not allow the furniture to be moved.... which leaves very little in the way of repositioning the speakers. ....

After having the speakers at home for several weeks, the slow realisation that I have probably bought the wrong speakers dawned on me. Lesson learned. So the next move, speaker/sub wise, will have to be carefully considered and researched one!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As I say, Twenty5.21s, as they have a better bass response. Or even the Twenty5.23s, which will take up the same amount of space, but reach deeper with larger cabinet volume and longer transmission line.

TRENDING THREADS