Speaker advice, low cost, newb

Irontoe

Dec 13, 2020
Visit site
Hello all, first post here. I was just looking for some advice on what speakers to buy for my first step into proper hifi. My max budget is about £350-400

I like dub/reggae music and also jazz, so would really like something that goes low but has definition and clarity too.

I am currently looking at the Q Acoutsics 3030i or the Wharfdale diamond 12.2 as possible solutions.

However I am also considering whether something like the wharfdale SW150 sub with a diamond 12.0 might be an option to get better bass extension.

Reason for thinking this is that I have a computer sounds system that has a sub and 2 small mid/top speakers and it sounds great, so maybe a larger version of this.

Is the extra challenge of configuring/placing the sub worth it, or will the 2 speaker setup just sound better overall?

Would really value opinion on these options and im also open to other suggestions if anyone has any.

Thanks in advance for any input

Irontoe

Dec 13, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for quick reply. The room is a 5m x 3m lounge. I havent got stands yet but yes i do need look into these.
Do you think for where I'm listening I would gain much with the sub? Should I just concentrate my budget on the best speakers I can afford and stands?

Many thanks

Irontoe

Dec 13, 2020
Visit site
Hi there. Yes I have been given a fairly old Sony integrated amp TA-FE230, its basic but has a phono stage and is about 50 watts per channel so im told. I know its not going to be mind blowing but it will get me started.

rainsoothe

Hi there. Yes I have been given a fairly old Sony integrated amp TA-FE230, its basic but has a phono stage and is about 50 watts per channel so im told. I know its not going to be mind blowing but it will get me started.
Cool, think you can get a pair of Dali Spektor 2 + stands with that budget. If you can position them far enough from walls, Triangle BR03 are also worth a look, but those might blow up your budget.

gasolin

Cool, think you can get a pair of Dali Spektor 2 + stands with that budget. If you can position them far enough from walls, Triangle BR03 are also worth a look, but those might blow up your budget.

Spektor 2 won't play to loud with the amp

Triangle BRO3 to sharp highs and for there size not much bass

Mabye look at the wharfedale diamond 12.1 or the new mission LX 2 or the B&W 607 S2 anniversary edition

Surly Sid

Feb 6, 2020
Visit site
Look into entry level Fyne book shelf speakers. If you can stretch your budget, the entry level Audiovector book shelf speakers are also very good.

The Q Acoustics and Wharfedales you mention are also very good for the price. I understand stores are closed down due to covid, but I humbly suggest you audition as many as you can in the above if at all possible. It is more a question of preference than of "which is better" for these aforementioned speakers.

Irontoe

Dec 13, 2020
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
I have settled on the Q Accoustics 3030i after reading a lot of good reviews and they fit with the style of the room (important! lol). They came yesterday and my first impression is they are fantastic. I keep hearing things in music that didnt even know were there. The bass is ample for the room so my worries were unfounded.
would have been nice to compare to some others but for my first set of proper hifi speakers I am very pleased. Of the other brands mentioned, bit spolt for choice, I definately agree with what Sid said, its probably about 'preference' over 'better'.
The next thing I am intersted in is maybe some DIY decorative absorpsion panels for the room, another rabbit hole but its all fun.

Thanks again

Reactions: rainsoothe

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts