Question Go for DAC of amplifier or cd-player?

mopoti

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
Hi,
Who has some knowledge on the topic and could help me? Thanks a lot!
I need to buy a cable and have to choose to connect them digital or analog. Should I go for the DAC of my Rotel RA-12 or Rotel RCD-02: Wolfson premium 24-bit/192kHz vs Burr-Brown PCM1732?

Wish you a fantastic day!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

There is no need for us to speculate when you can so easily try the various permutations yourself. I take it the RA-12 is the new model, and the CD player is the rather older one, is that right? (The CD player says HDCD below the drawer, yes?)

Start with using the CD player using the L and R analogue outputs into your amp. Then try the single digital out, into the digital input on your amp. You don’t need any fancy cables, just what’s in the box or available for a few £, $, €…

As it happens, I’ve enjoyed both BB and Wolfson DACs in the past, in various guises, and at least they aren’t the ubiquitous ESS!

Last edited:

mopoti

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to the forum!

There is no need for us to speculate when you can so easily try the various permutations yourself. I take it the RA-12 is the new model, and the CD player is the rather older one, is that right? (The CD player says HDCD below the drawer, yes?)

Start with using the CD player using the L and R analogue outputs into your amp. Then try the single digital out, into the digital input on your amp. You don’t need any fancy cables, just what’s in the box or available for a few £, $, €…

As it happens, I’ve enjoyed both BB and Wolfson DACs in the past, in various guises, and at least they aren’t the ubiquitous ESS!

Thank you @nopiano
I have to buy a new cable and after browsing the internet for a while I got under the impression that there is a lot of difference between the brands and models. At home I only have cheap interconnects that are of a silver looking metal. The females on the Rotel devices are copper/gold plated (?) and I've read I shouldn't use thin/nickel on copper/gold.

But I get your point. I'll try to buy an equal quality digital and analoge cable.

Since cables can get expensive. Let's imagine I can get a good deal on second hands: Audioquest Forest digital and Golden Gate analoge. And I use these for the test. There's a price difference there. In what wat would the quality of the cable influence the DAC test?

Thank you @nopiano
I have to buy a new cable and after browsing the internet for a while I got under the impression that there is a lot of difference between the brands and models. At home I only have cheap interconnects that are of a silver looking metal. The females on the Rotel devices are copper/gold plated (?) and I've read I shouldn't use thin/nickel on copper/gold.

But I get your point. I'll try to buy an equal quality digital and analoge cable.

Since cables can get expensive. Let's imagine I can get a good deal on second hands: Audioquest Forest digital and Golden Gate analoge. And I use these for the test. There's a price difference there. In what wat would the quality of the cable influence the DAC test?
In my view the cables have a minor influence compared to the DACs themselves. And even they may be closer that you imagine if you’ve read some of the internet nonsense that’s out there.
Audioquest is a good brand with decent products as long as you stick to the affordable models. But Amazon Basics are fine for now!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts