Glossary of jargons describing SQ & Review recommendations on partnering equipment

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Some of you might be thinking I am a complete fool but infact there are so many jargons used in describing sound quality of music equipement that it's not only difficult to understand but also makes it difficult to short list equipements based on what hifi and other mag's reviews.

There are different jargons used for e.g sound is warm, neutral, coloured or thin that sort of stuff, also I couldn't find a perfect guide on matching lets say speakers with Amp based on sensitivity, impedance, watts and which speakers go well with which amp based on these specs, in speakers review it doesn't say specifically that ideal partner should have that much watts, sensitivity and impedance. May be if WHF should publish recommendations not on brands but on broader terms using 3 basic specs then that would certainly help lot of newbies.

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Chebby excellent stuff thats what I was looking for, how about second question on recommendation in review for partnering equipment I know specifying the brand would be risky business but still that would help millions in short listing equipments for review. Normally on the sidebar only one equipment is mentioned but not in terms of generalizing or slightly bigger list.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Harman International have listener training programmes and a "How to listen" educational initiative in schools.

I was expecting them to publish a glossary soon.

They are extremely disciplined and scientific in their approach to assessing equipment..

http://www.aes.org/tmpFiles/elib/20091209/12206.pdf

Presentation on the Harman listener training software..

Part 1

Part 2

There were papers published by the BBC on the subject of monitor speaker assessment and blind testing that also included a glossary of descriptive terms used. (I will delve.)

I wish more hifi companies would do something like this.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts