Gigs

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

idc

ESP2009 said:
Saw The Pineapple Thief on Sunday at our local venue - I am not sure that I actually like their style/music but enjoyed the gig, if you can appreciate the difference. Very good musicians and willing to chat to the audience, which was appreciated. Shame the attendance wasn't better.

Mind you, it was another case of chalk and cheese acoustics: Godsticks were the support and the overall sound was a mess. And yet, TPT's mix was almost spot on. Shame they're just 'not me'.

I'm really looking forward to IQ at The Assembly in Royal Leamington Spa in June - never been to that venue and never seen IQ live (oh, what a sheltered existence!)

They were supported by a band called Second Skin who played a post rock set, with some lyrics and were not bad at all. I thought TPT's sound was superb, so much so I took out my ear plugs as I was not going to be deafened and wanted to appreciate their musicianship more.

idc

Bought two tickets to see Yes at the Clyde Auditorium on 12th November
smiley-laughing.gif

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Due to post operative recuperation, once again this year I have missed out on another long anticipated show ( Blackfield with support by The Pineapple Thief). Gutted (literally
smiley-frown.gif
).

However, I'm intrigued by TPT and I know IDC in particular has always been a big advocate of this band. I've just been listening to a montage on their website plus the video to the song Someone Here Is Missing. Sounds pretty good to me.

What would you suggest as a good entry point ? I was thinking of buying the double CD "3000 Days" which I believe is a compilation. A good choice?

idc

Gutted, The Pineapple Thief have disappeared off Spotify
smiley-cry.gif
. I cannot single out one album from another, so 3000 Days is a good start.

Presently listening to Foxhole, melodic post rock from Kentucky.

61Lvyq8mhcL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Went to see the Matt Schofield Trio last night at Manchester's Band on the Wall venue. A welcome return for Britains premier blues guitarist. A hard core of about 200 was there at this fantastic intimate club.

I've seen a few ace players over the years but this guy is up there with the best. Can rock out like the proverbial, but can play some sublime melodic funky lines that take your breath away. If you're into electric blues with a bit of New Orleans funk thrown in for good measure Matt's your man.

Note must be made too for his band, Jonny Henderson on Hammond organ & bass lines, and new drummer Kevin Hayes. Tight as a ducks ****.

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Saw Bon Jovi tonight at Ashton Gate football ground in Bristol. I'm not a huge fan, but the missus is. Well I suppose if I hadn't already seen them 2 years ago at the same venue I would have been more impressed. First time I saw them they were really impressive, huge stage, massive lighting display. This time though it was just a repeat of what I'd already seen, couple of different numbers, a few new lights, so for me it was an 'OK' gig.

Rich

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Went to see 'Mastodon' at Brixton Academy last Saturday. We missed 'Red Fang' (who I'd never heard of, but they have a couple of fun vids on Youtube).

We caught 'The Dillinger Escape Plan', but 10 years too late for me. I've grown steadily more tired of their output since their awesomely good 'Calculating Infinity' debut. Don't even think I've heard their latest CD all the way through

Mastodon were excellent. And we certainly got our money's worth. They must have played about 20+ songs by the time they walked off. As a big fan of their last album 'The Hunter', I was pleased they played pretty much everything from it, ending with 'Creature Lives' with all the other members of the other bands joining them on stage.

A great night..... Oh, and Bill Bailey was sitting about 4 rows in front of us!

Next up is 'Meshuggah'/'Animals As Leaders' in April and 'Veil Of Maya' in May.:dance:

drichardb

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I want to get tickets for Meshuggah in Bristol, just hope there are still some left come payday.

Was gutted last friday - tickets went on sale for a small Kerbdog show in Bristol but wasnt fast enough :(

Off to see Rammstein in Nottingham 2nd March which should be fun!

A

Anonymous

Enrico Rava at the Portland Jazz Festival last night - wow, he has a great young Trombone player in his band.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Radioheads world tour dates anounced for the UK.

6th Oct ~ MEN Manchester

8th Oct ~ O2 London

9th Oct ~ O2 London

Tickets on sale 7th March for all dates.

A

Anonymous

Paul Hillier with Ars Nova performing Terry Riley's 'In C' and some compositions by Steve Reich.

idc

Next up are Shearwater at Stereo in Glasgow.

Ars Nova and Paul Hillier were superb and a choral version of 'In C' accompanied by banging bits of wood and stone together for the percussion was pretty unique. It was nice to go to a concert where the volume was just right and you could pick out each vocalists part of the music.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Been to a few gigs in the last few months.

Florence and the Machine with The Horrors support at Alexandre Palace friday 9th March. We took the mother-in-law and daughter, good night and The Horrors we're the biz.

The Black Keys and Band of Skulls support again at Alexandre Palace thursday 10th Feb. BoS we're the highlight for me, but Black Keys old stuff is real raw energy rock, just how i remember the 8 years (ish) ago supporting Beck at Brixton.

Death in Vegas and Von Haze at The Electric Ballroom 15th Dec. Von Haze are an interesting drone pop duo from the states. DinV, best live set ive seen in years, mesmerizing and totally hypnotic, great gig and great crimbo prezzie.

Next stop, Maccabees at Alexandre again!

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I've got Meshuggah w/ Animals As Leaders at The Forum, Kentish Town and Veil Of Maya at The Underworld both coming up soon.

Will be the first time I've seen Meshuggah, so really looking forward to that one!:rockout:

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
My son and I are going to see the black keys at reading in aurgust we are also going to castle donington( download) to see black sabbath metalica and lot of other mainley metle bands I will post a review and photos

drichardb

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Well Rammstein at Nottingham was probably the best gig I've ever seen for pure spectacle. The band were flawless, the effects incredible and the crowd electric.

Good news is I managed to get a ticket for Kerbdog at the Thekla in Bristol on 6th April but I can't afford to get a Meshuggah ticket until next Thursday...I just hope there are some left as I really want to hear the new material live.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Just might see G 'N' R at Birmingham in May. Two more bands after that, then I can die. Well, you know, maybe just not bother going to anymore gigs. I'm hardly a regular on the circuit anyway. I prefer them on DVD.

drichardb

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Dude! dont give up on going to gigs, there is no better way to experience live music than in the flesh.

The Kerbdog gig I went to on Saturday is the perfect example of why I love live music so much.

The venue was tiny (Thekla in Bristol), probably not much more than 300 capacity. The crowd had travelled from all over the UK to see this band so you can imagine there was superb support for them. Finally I got myself into position practically at the feet of the bass player so had a fantastic view across the stage.

I've been to a lot of arena/large theatre concerts over the last few years so to get back down n dirty in a small venue was a refreshing change and something i'm keen to repeat as soon as possible (just need to persuade my bro-in-law lol).

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I would also add that you should get into smaller acts. Seeing a band when you're within arms reach of the guys on stage is so much more immersive than watching an act at the O2 or some such 'enormodome'.

I have a couple of gigs coming up, Meshuggah at The Forum, Kentish Town on the 20th, and Veil Of Maya two weeks after at The Underworld (My fave venue to see bands and I've played there myself over the years)

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
I'd like to see Bad Religion who are relatively small, especially over here. However, they'll probably call it quits soon-ish and I'm not much for slammin' or whatever da kidz call it now, which is partly why ive never seen anyone with, er, lively fans at a small venue. And I'd probably resemble a chin stroking teacher (or the singer).

Kerbdog. Heh. I feel old.

drichardb

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Alec said:
Kerbdog. Heh. I feel old.

I know what you mean lol.

During the set Colin the bass player said "This is one of our older ones" Cormac on Lead pipes up "Their all old!"

I really want to go to Meshuggah in Bristol next week but I can't get the time off work to go ARGH

TRENDING THREADS