Getting better by the minute :-)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Will the last person to leave this forum please turn the lights out.

I won't come back until it has been sorted.

DM and I are members of PFM (him since last year and me since 2008) and I think there are a few other WHF members.

It's a bit 'quiet' in there, you can hear the clock ticking and they use antimacassars on the chairs (like my great aunt used too) and over 50 percent of them are Naim users (past and present) but despite all that, sweep the Madeira cake crumbs aside and i'm sure there is room for another laptop. (At least until this nonsense is over for now.)

It is properly moderated at least even if it is a bit 'clubbish' amongst it's elder members. It's a nice bolt-hole for when this place is occasionally under seige from spammers, or 'under occupation' from hostile fora.

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:

DM and I are members of PFM (him since last year and me since 2008) and I think there are a few other WHF members.

It's a bit 'quiet' in there, you can hear the clock ticking and they use antimacassars on the chairs (like my great aunt used too) and over 50 percent of them are Naim users (past and present) but despite all that, sweep the Madeira cake crumbs aside and i'm sure there is room for another laptop. (At least until this nonsense is over for now.)

It is properly moderated at least even if it is a bit 'clubbish' amongst it's elder members. It's a nice bolt-hole for when this place is occasionally under seige from spammers, or 'under occupation' from hostile fora.

Can't stand Madeira cake.

I only frequent another forum (rarely) but nothing to do with hi-fi or AV.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
plastic penguin said:

PFM is not bad. I find it moves at roughly the same pace as this forum and folks are generally polite. Some good knowledge over there too. I have not noticed technical problems.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
As I connected the first time to this forum. I remember that I was impressed by the flood of cookies and functions running in the background. Basically, this forum is a nuclear powerplant waiting for his meltdown.

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
When I first posted on this forum even the option to post is so confusing compared to the logical options in all other forums. Here on WHF you have the option of 'Save' and 'Preview', none appear to do what they imply and to my horror press either option and my message is posted on the forum. Surely the logical and practical options would be 'Post' and 'Edit'; the options speak for themselves, there is no mystery and no nasty suprises!

The most disappointing thing about this forum, given the crud we've all had to put up with over recent days/week, is the staff have gone AWOL. No explanation. No reassurances.

Even if the forum is no longer WHFI's (Haymarket) priority, given how much free time we all spend on here - and how big this forum once was and still is - Andy or Simon or one of the others should at least, just out of politeness and respect for the regulars, make some sort of statement.

Their other forum 'Classic & sports car forum' went belly up because no-one bothered.

Even more sad is that Chebby and DM very kindly recommended alternative music forum (PFM). It's stunning the decline of What Hi-Fi forum.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
The most disappointing thing about this forum, given the crud we've all had to put up with over recent days/week, is the staff have gone AWOL. No explanation. No reassurances.

Even if the forum is no longer WHFI's (Haymarket) priority, given how much free time we all spend on here - and how big this forum once was and still is - Andy or Simon or one of the others should at least, just out of politeness and respect for the regulars, make some sort of statement.

Their other forum 'Classic & sports car forum' went belly up because no-one bothered.

Even more sad is that Chebby and DM very kindly recommended alternative music forum (PFM). It's stunning the decline of What Hi-Fi forum.

Ah, it's not that bad. Many are still here, a few have left. I guess it's like that on any forum. Still, nothing wrong with alternatives.

I guess, one thing is that you/I/we build up a 'reputation' (and rapport with each other, some more than others) over many years and many thousands of posts which means little elsewhere if you have to start again.

I don't really mind being the new boy as long as the topics etc are good and PFM is really not bad at all.

I still like this forum though. It's the technical problems more than anything else that are annoying.

Ps. I still follow the HDD forum too. There are some clever and nice people there too but I don't get involved as I have little to contribute there. I'm obviously neither ... clever or nice :)

I do often wonder why I am still on Hifi forums. My modest system mostly stays the same and I don't really try enough new products to give concise advise. Most of what I suggest is probably more general issues stuff or experiences that go back some years which mean any validity is ... questionable. There are many box swappers that are far better placed to speak about products.

Just spread yourself around a little PP and enjoy your hobby. :)

drummerman said:
plastic penguin said:

Even if the forum is no longer WHFI's (Haymarket) priority, given how much free time we all spend on here - and how big this forum once was and still is - Andy or Simon or one of the others should at least, just out of politeness and respect for the regulars, make some sort of statement.

Their other forum 'Classic & sports car forum' went belly up because no-one bothered.

Ah, it's not that bad. Many are still here, a few have left. I guess it's like that on any forum. Still, nothing wrong with alternatives.

I guess, one thing is that you/I/we build up a 'reputation' (and rapport with each other, some more than others) over many years and many thousands of posts which means little elsewhere if you have to start again.

I don't really mind being the new boy as long as the topics etc are good and PFM is really not bad at all.

I still like this forum though. It's the technical problems more than anything else that are annoying.

Ps. I still follow the HDD forum too. There are some clever and nice people there too but I don't get involved as I have little to contribute there. I'm obviously neither ... clever or nice :)

My modest system mostly stays the same and I don't really try enough new products to give concise advise. Most of what I suggest is probably more general issues stuff or experiences that go back some years which mean any validity is ... questionable. There are many box swappers that are far better placed to speak about products.

Just spread yourself around a little PP and enjoy your hobby. :)

Exactly the same for me. My system hardly changes.

As regards spreading myself around, I'm not inherently a forumy person. I did go onto 'Art of Noise' a few years ago. From memory I've only got about a dozen posts. Yet, despite my lack of posts they email me birthday wishes every year. Little things...

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

I should imagine that most people who read and post on this forum don't buy the magazine so why should this forum be a priority to the staff of What hi-fi?

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
I should imagine that most people who read and post on this forum don't buy the magazine so why should this forum be a priority to the staff of What hi-fi?

Maybe it's not a priority but I wonder in the grand scheme of things how much the forum supports their advertising. I say that because if you do a internet serach for any hifi item, in many cases one of the search results will link to a thread on this forum. Whether that is significant to them or not I'm not sure, but it must direct many people to this site.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
MrReaper182 said:

Maybe it's not a priority but I wonder in the grand scheme of things how much the forum supports their advertising. I say that because if you do a internet serach for any hifi item, in many cases one of the search results will link to a thread on this forum. Whether that is significant to them or not I'm not sure, but it must direct many people to this site.
It links them to the What hi-fi website and not this forum. The website and the forum are to different things. The website could exist without the forum. I should imagine that most people who visit the What hi-fi website never visit this forum. What hi-fi could put all their adds on their website and not on this forum and still probably make the same amount of money from them.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
So now I can't see the reply or quote buttons on this thread either.*unknw*

So in reply to MrReaper182 - yes if you do a search for an item, it will bring up links to this forum.

For example - search in google for 'rega rs5' - the first result is for the What Hifi site, but lists four links to threads on this forum, take any link straight into that thread.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts