Geting a dem on a cartridge?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
OK, Rega P5 up and ruining, it came with an Ortofon Blue 2m, not a bad cartridge . . . but it does not fit my 'style' of 'smooooth', detailed . . . its mid range is fine and dynamic but can be a little in the face for me, top end can get away towards clinical, the low frequencies are excellent but are they over don?

I prefer the smoother, warmer, pipe and slippers approach, though not wading through syrup.

So, any of you guys with TT's have recommendations to look at, its the old chestnut of getting a dem on a cartridge!!!

Currently, Goldrings 2500 and Dynavector 10x5, are on the list as possible? £300 is top budget.

CJSF

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
If you want pipe and slippers, you want Grado. The Goldring you mention is also fine. Unless they've changed, and it's been a while since I was into vinyl, avoid AT cartridges as they can be a bit bright.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Give Glenn a call and ask him what cartridge he would recommend (or which cartridge he used when fine tuning the MM phono stage on your amp.)

If you ask me then I think the classic Goldring 1042 will fit the bill. (Bear in mind I only used it on a Rega Planar 3/RB300 and not a P5.)

I used the Goldring 1042 for almost 11 years (two changes of stylus) and - more recently - used the Ortofon 2M Red (then upgraded to the 2M Blue) on a Rega P2.

They are different and the 2M Blue suited my taste better (feeding a Naim system via a Rega phono stage).

The 1042 has a huge soundstage and very 'dark' bass and is very refined in the treble. Definitely 'smoother' than a 2M Blue and more analytical to listen to.

The 2M Blue is more fun (sorry, I know hifi is not supposed to to be fun) and suited my more middle-aged requirement for an infectious, rather than interrogatory, sound. When I was younger the Goldring 1042 suited my more 'hifi' tastes.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
Give Glenn a call and ask him what cartridge he would recommend (or which cartridge he used when fine tuning the MM phono stage on your amp.)

If you ask me then I think the classic Goldring 1042 will fit the bill. (Bear in mind I only used it on a Rega Planar 3/RB300 and not a P5.)

I used the Goldring 1042 for almost 11 years (two changes of stylus) and - more recently - used the Ortofon 2M Red (then upgraded to the 2M Blue) on a Rega P2.

They are different and the 2M Blue suited my taste better (feeding a Naim system via a Rega phono stage).

The 1042 has a huge soundstage and very 'dark' bass and is very refined in the treble. Definitely 'smoother' than a 2M Blue and more analytical to listen to.

The 2M Blue is more fun (sorry, I know hifi is not supposed to to be fun) and suited my more middle-aged requirement for an infectious, rather than interrogatory, sound. When I was younger the Goldring 1042 suited my more 'hifi' tastes.

Thanks all for the input,

Plastic Penguin, I dont know 'Clear Audio Classic Wood' I will investigate.

Chebby, Like the sound of the Goldring 1042, sounds like it will fit better with my 20 year old audiophile ideas and memories; dark, refined, analytical, big sound stage, 'my kind of numbers'. I was told the Blue was 'lively', they weren't kidding, to much for me.

I think Rayleigh might have the Dynovector and the Goldring available for dem, although they are sold on the Dynavector 10x5 as a no brainer on the P5 . . . ? They have even sugested, I take the Croft down to include it as part of the dem.

CJSF

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
I was told the Blue was 'lively', they weren't kidding, to much for me.

As I put on the years (ok i'm not that old) I lean more towards the 'lively' in musical presentation, rather than having it pinned out like a dissection with every single detail visible, but nothing capable of moving.

If I were to find room for a turntable again then it would be a Rega RP3 with an Exact cartridge.

S#d the imaging. I'd want something that gets me out of my chair and not sunk deeper into it :)

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi CJSF,

I can also second the Goldring 1042, it's an excellent cartridge, but like Chebby mine is fitted to a Rega Planar 3, with RB300 arm and Michell Tecnoweight.

I find it's an excellent all round cartridge and should meet your criteria. A couple of guys on here have also bought the Grado Reference Platinum 1 cartridge, which they got for a good price I think ffrom SuperFi. I know they are pleased with it (wooden body cartridge) and might be worth considering if you can get the deal on it still.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
CJSF said:
I was told the Blue was 'lively', they weren't kidding, to much for me.

As I put on the years (ok i'm not that old) I lean more towards the 'lively' in musical presentation, rather than having it pinned out like a dissection with every single detail visible, but nothing capable of moving.

If I were to find room for a turntable again then it would be a Rega RP3 with an Exact cartridge.

S#d the imaging. I'd want something that gets me out of my chair and not sunk deeper into it :)

Its a good job we are not all the same chebby, I want things laid out in front of me, so that I can see whats going on and enjoy watching the action, past the 'joining in' stage . . . I'll never embarrass my kids with 'Dad dancing' . . .

I'm also finding the vast array of classical CD's my Dad left me are becoming my choice to listen to . . . I would never have believed that if you had told me 20 years ago . . . In fact I was looking at the 300 + CD's and the 200 + LP's, I wont need to buy any music for years . . . two thirds of the Cd's are my Fathers Classical collection which I have never heard, most of the LP's are mine from 20 years + ago. 'New acquaintances' and 'old friends' to get to know . . . now that, I do find exciting :dance:

Just need an old 'audiophile' type cartridge . . . the prospects of hunting the boot sales next year for music, I find interesting . . . CJSF

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts