Genie II or Debut III?

T

the record spot

The Genie 2 is apparently capable of great things for the price. I'd also suggest the Rega P1 at £190 although if you can hold out for a P2, that's better than any of them.

A

Anonymous

The Rega P1 is out of my price range, so the P2 also will be unfortunately

A

Anonymous

Debut III. The Genie looks sexier but the Debut is a more solid proposition for the small additional outlay.

T

the record spot

Not so sure about that; the Genie is a pretty capable deck and gets a lot of respect for the bit of kit it is, especially the "2" version, so don't let the low price fool you. Not knocking the Debut 3 at all, but I think the Genie punches above its weight pretty well.

A

Anonymous

Fair enough. I just think it's a bit flimsier in construction. Let's agree then that the best thing the OP can do is get himself to his local dealer where he can see, touch, and most importantly hear for himself :)

A

Anonymous

I'd be looking out for a project 1 Xpression, I got mine for £110 2nd hand in perfect condition. Bolt a Denon DL 110 cartridge to it for £55 and you will have a TT that will wipe the floor with the entry models you are looking at and for more or less the same money.

All IMHO.

A

Anonymous

gthang79:
I'd be looking out for a project 1 Xpression, I got mine for £110 2nd hand in perfect condition. Bolt a Denon DL 110 cartridge to it for £55 and you will have a TT that will wipe the floor with the entry models you are looking at andÿforÿmore or lessÿthe same money.

All IMHO.

ÿ

Where did you get one for £110?ÿ

A

Anonymous

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PRO-JECT-1-2-HI-FI-TURNTABLE-IN-BLACK_W0QQitemZ130279432458QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables?hash=item130279432458&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1300%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

ÿIs this the same as your Project 1 xpression?

ÿ

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Project-2-turntable_W0QQitemZ120359730377QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables?hash=item120359730377&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1300%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

ÿIs this the upgrade?ÿ

A

Anonymous

Hi, no those are not the 1-Xpression.

This is the one I have http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?ranlg&1119568231&read&3&4 a Mk1 1-Xpression I found it on eaby £110 from ebay about a year ago. Boxed everything perfect, came with an Ortofon OM10 cart, which is fine to get going. I purchased a DL-110 about 6 months ago for £60 and wow what an upgrade, best single upgrade I have ever had.

the latest version is this the Mk3 1-Xpression. http://www.needles-and-spins.co.uk/pd_project_1.cfm

All the 1 xpression TT have carbon fiber tone arms. not easy to find but worth keeping an eye out for. worth looking here www.hififorsale.com and http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/

Depends if you want to wait for one to turn up. Glad I did.

Edit to add; just found this sale from last year, too late now but they are out there. http://www.another site/forums/archive-completed-business-expired-threads/239181-sale-project-xpression-tt-project-phono-box-se-rotel-rb980.html

A

Anonymous

Are the Rega Planar 3's any good?

I've found some cheap ones on eBay.

ÿ

The one i am interested in is £120 BIN, with an RB-100 tonearm.

ÿ

Is this a good deal?ÿ

ÿ

ÿ

T

the record spot

RB-100? RP3 is an excellent turntable, but it normally comes with the RB300 as standard. Check with the seller if it's a misprint?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
themondays:

ÿ

ÿ

Is this a good deal?ÿ

ÿ

ÿ

An RB-100 is the (very recent) arm fitted to the current Rega P1.

The original (pre 1983) Planar 3 had an R200 tonearm made for Rega by Acos. I looked at the ebay item you are after, and it definitely has an R200 arm pictured. The seller made an error. Their 98 percent +ve feedback looks a bit 'ropey' and the guy is clearing out his uncles stuff so there is no guarantee that this deck has even been used recently.

The latest Rega turntables at £190 (P1), £250 (P2) and £398 (P3-24) are so good - at their respective performance/price levels - that I really would hold out and save up a bit longer to try and get one.

If you buy from an offical Rega dealer you should get a 3 year guarantee. (I bought my Rega P2 from Audio-T who give 3 years.)

A

Anonymous

themondays:

Is this a good deal?

Yes they are very good TT's, do check as has mentioned should have RB250 arm. If it is a RB250 then get it, the arms sell on their own for about £100. a Rega or a higher project will be far better then the Genie or Debut.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
gthang79:themondays:

Is this a good deal?

Yes they are very good TT's, do check as has mentioned should have RB250 arm. If it is a RB250 then get it, the arms sell on their own for about £100. a Rega or a higher project will be far better then the Genie or Debut.

Well that has possibly confused things even more!

The Rega Planar 3 (up until 1983) had an R200 'S' shaped arm. From 1983 onwards Rega Planar 3's and P3's had the RB-300 arm.

The Current P3-24 has the RB-301 arm.

The Rega Planar 2 and P2 models have the RB-250 arm. The very latest ones have the RB-251.

Here is a handy guide to Rega tonearms....

http://www.vinylengine.com/a-guide-rega-tonearms.shtml

It will help you to spot whether an ebay 'bargain' has the correct arm or not.

T

the record spot

chebby:

An RB-100 is the (very recent) arm fitted to the current Rega P1.

The original (pre 1983) Planar 3 had an R200 tonearm made for Rega by Acos. I looked at the ebay item you are after, and it definitely has an RB-200 arm pictured. The seller made an error. Their 98 percent +ve feedback looks a bit 'ropey' and the guy is clearing out his uncles stuff so there is no guarantee that this deck has even been used recently.

Thanks for the clarification chebby - I'd forgotten that Rega introduced some new designs for the latest ranges, the current P3-24 having the RB-301 now and not the recent RB300. Good spot re: the RB200 too btw.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Thx. You may want to edit your last quote (of my typo) where I mention R200 and RB-200. They should both be R200.

Thanks

Even I slip up on this Rega arm taxonomy stuff and I have owned Rega decks since 1983 so there is no excuse :)

'RB' stands for 'Rega Britain' and refers to all their post 1983 tonearms. Pre-1983 their arms were outsourced to Acos.

T

the record spot

Ah, I always wondered what the "B" prefix was. Now I know - cheers.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
gthang79:
I'd be looking out for a project 1 Xpression, I got mine for £110 2nd hand in perfect condition. Bolt a Denon DL 110 cartridge to it for £55 and you will have a TT that will wipe the floor with the entry models you are looking at and for more or less the same money.

All IMHO.

Are you the guy that wrote into Hi-Fi World this month with this story? They absolutely slated the guy for buying a DL110! They seem to think that it doesn't sound very good and will actually damage your vinyl! Something to do with the shape of the stylus I think.

T

the record spot

Wasn't this the DL103 which was in David Price's firing line as being a hangover from a 1958 design?! I think they recommended the DL110 as the preferred alternative.

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:gthang79:

All IMHO.

Are you the guy that wrote into Hi-Fi World this month with this story? They absolutely slated the guy for buying a DL110! They seem to think that it doesn't sound very good and will actually damage your vinyl! Something to do with the shape of the stylus I think.

Nope was not me, will have to read the letter / artical though now its been mentioned, I'm intrigued , which issue is it December or Jan or Feb?

I have no problems with mine at all. Played some of my records many times and they all still sound great. The DL-110 IMHO is a great cartridge. I know of several users and no one has reported damaged vinyl....With the greatest of respect to WHF and all the other hifi mag (this is not ment to be antagonistic) I take what mags say with a huge pinch of salt, personal recommendations and my ear is far more important.

found these review below.

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/analog-sources/cartridges/denon/dl-110/PRD_337121_5823crx.aspx

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ranlg&1120429854&openflup&45&4

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue15/denondl110.htm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes sorry for my earlier post about rega arms I got that very wrong....

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
gthang79:
Nope was not me, will have to read the letter / artical though now its been mentioned, I'm intrigued , which issue is it December or Jan or Feb?

I don't know, I never managed to get home last night (thanks M5!), I only bought the issue in the last two weeks though.

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
"I take what mags say with a huge pinch of salt"

As you should. All reviews are an expression of a personal opinion based upon an individuals taste. OK group listening tests are the exception but are still limited to the number of participants and the hope that their tastes differ.

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:gthang79:

I don't know, I never managed to get home last night (thanks M5!), I only bought the issue in the last two weeks though.

Which issus is this in and what page, I was reading Hifi world yesterday and could not find the letter you refer to. cheers.

TRENDING THREADS