Genelec - making all other speaker manufacturers obsolete since 1978?

Ashinia

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
This question is a bit tongue-in-cheek so I hope that no one gets offended. I have a friend that seems to think that when it comes to speakers under $2500 a pair, Genelec is always the best option. So which of these situations makes most sense to you:

a) He's too heavily invested in Genelec - both money-wise and emotionally - to have an unbiased. His brain doesn't let anything else sound better. Would this even be a bad thing?

b) He's used to the sound of Genelec, so they will naturally sound better to him. Would this even be a bad thing?

c) Genelec makes the best speakers out there, and you're probably crazy or stupid if you buy anything else. Or maybe you just care about the looks.

What is your pick?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
a) or b). I haven't ever heard Genelec speakers but seeing that no one manufacturer makes the best of anything, we can discount c). To a certain extent your friend is to be envied because he's found a brand which he likes, trusts, and to his ears are the absolute best, so despite what others may think of his blind religeon, he's found happiness. Those who think he's an idiot just envy him.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Ashinia said:
This question is a bit tongue-in-cheek so I hope that no one gets offended. I have a friend that seems to think that when it comes to speakers under $2500 a pair, Genelec is always the best option. So which of these situations makes most sense to you:

a) He's too heavily invested in Genelec - both money-wise and emotionally - to have an unbiased. His brain doesn't let anything else sound better. Would this even be a bad thing?

b) He's used to the sound of Genelec, so they will naturally sound better to him. Would this even be a bad thing?

c) Genelec makes the best speakers out there, and you're probably crazy or stupid if you buy anything else. Or maybe you just care about the looks.

What is your pick?

Speakers are all different and 'best' is subjective, however, they are certainly among the best and being active monitors, offer a much better bang for your buck than hifi equivalent systems.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
This is really weird. I just was talking to a friend yesterday of changing my music studio speakers to one of the Genelec range. And yes I would say one of the most natural sounding speakers out there for the money. When I listened to a pair , it has so much detail & also presented with amazing ease.

I cnt see how Hifi equivalent can sound as good.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As is the case with other speaker manufacturers claiming superiority, if it was the case that one speaker manufacturer has been "making all other speaker manufacturers obsolete since 1978", then why aren't all other speaker manufacturers now obsolete?

If you can't eradicate your competition over a 36 year timescale, it's safe to say that it's not gonna happen.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Since when has being the best in any field got to do with getting the most sales and putting your competitors out of business?

Marketing trumpets substance every time.

Not that Genelec make the best speakers anyway. Mind you, there are a lot of deeply flawed speakers for the budget of $2500 new. So it doesn't take a huge amount to shine in this area.

Anyone claiming that any speaker is the best is talking nonsense. Speakers are full of counterbalancing compromises. Improving one aspect inevitably leads to compromises in other areas.

krolikgena

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Well, a few years ago, when only began to get interested in hi-fi, i have listened in the music shop to a pair of Genelec 8040a on the end of a simple Tascam cd player and a little pro monitor controllers. What can i say, it took about half a minute to realize what's happening and my jaw hit the floor! Never heard music presented in so clear and powerful manner! The stereo image was insane.. unreal! I could not beleive that those tiny monitors could provide so big and powerful sound. It's like the music was produced out of nowhere.. i could not detect speakers.. it's like one huge soundfield coming at you!!!

Then i thought i want to know what Hi-fi is about and went to a.. Hi-fi shop! So many nice speakers and amplifiers, cd players! i decided that i want to listen to a beautiful B&W CM5 (which cost the same as active Genelecs) on the end of a 200W rotel amplifier and cd player. Played the same track and..... what?? what is that?? i heard music from the box.. the coloration was so obvious.. the lack of depth, soundstage, bloating and suffocating bass that was nothing like the real bass from the Genelecs! I've asked the guys from the shop to let me hear another speakers that will get me closer to the pure monitor sound that i've heard! Then there were different Focals, Spendors etc.. much more expensive speakers that little Genelecs, but no one could provide the same level of impact! Sure, some speakers sounded more powerful but had this blurred quality, lacking depth and stereo image..

and all this not to mention powerful, big and expensive amlifiers!!! Fancy speaker cable, etc...

I was so amazed, how can people listen to all this stuff?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
krolikgena said:
Well, a few years ago, when only began to get interested in hi-fi, i have listened in the music shop to a pair of Genelec 8040a on the end of a simple Tascam cd player and a little pro monitor controllers. What can i say, it took about half a minute to realize what's happening and my jaw hit the floor! Never heard music presented in so clear and powerful manner! The stereo image was insane.. unreal! I could not beleive that those tiny monitors could provide so big and powerful sound. It's like the music was produced out of nowhere.. i could not detect speakers.. it's like one huge soundfield coming at you!!!

Then i thought i want to know what Hi-fi is about and went to a.. Hi-fi shop! So many nice speakers and amplifiers, cd players! i decided that i want to listen to a beautiful B&W CM5 (which cost the same as active Genelecs) on the end of a 200W rotel amplifier and cd player. Played the same track and..... what?? what is that?? i heard music from the box.. the coloration was so obvious.. the lack of depth, soundstage, bloating and suffocating bass that was nothing like the real bass from the Genelecs! I've asked the guys from the shop to let me hear another speakers that will get me closer to the pure monitor sound that i've heard! Then there were different Focals, Spendors etc.. much more expensive speakers that little Genelecs, but no one could provide the same level of impact! Sure, some speakers sounded more powerful but had this blurred quality, lacking depth and stereo image..

and all this not to mention powerful, big and expensive amlifiers!!! Fancy speaker cable, etc...

Sssssh, don't tell everyone.

On the odd ocasion that I have had some (more affordable) monitors at home and played them to people who are 'into hi-fi', I get similar reactions.

Then they start asking 'hi-fi' type questions and I give up.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
krolikgena said:

What you've just described is the difference between passive HiFi speakers and good quality active speakers.

It's no coincidence that the three speaker brands that I mentioned in my previous post all make active speakers.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Neither A, B or C.

IMO Genelec make some finest speakers available and I regularly recommend them on this forum. But when it comes to the best speakers (read that as 'my favourite') I would place them as the third best after AVI and Quested.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I bet you I can come up with passive speakers that would make the Genelec 8040a's sound quite flawed in certain important respects.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
lindsayt said:
I bet you I can come up with passive speakers that would make the Genelec 8040a's sound quite flawed in certain important respects.

I am sure that you can, addressing the bandwidth limitations come immediately to mind.

However the 8040As can be bought for £1200, new. I think making them 'sound quite flawed' with that budget for new amps and spreakers would be quite a challenge.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
This whole thing is very tribal.

There are, of course, several different technologies that have passionate advocates: dual concentric drivers; planar magnetic panels; ES panels; ribbon tweeters; horn-loaded drivers; open-baffle designs; full-range drivers etc etc.

To some people the idea of putting a speaker in a box seems crazy. Others believe that dynamic cone speakers are a ridiculous compromise. Some think only three-ways make sense. Some swear by infinite baffle designs.

Speakers will continue to be made to very diverse designs for years to come. I say: keep an open mind, and live and let live.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I totally agree Davedotco. As I've already said in this thread, there are a lot of deeply flawed speakers for $2500 or less brand new. So it doesn't take much to shine in this genre.

Krolik: genres of speakers that would illustrate flaws in 8040's:

Medium to large to huge sealed box speakers, with sufficiently sized bass drivers. Most likely to be 3 ways. To show how to handle bass transients.

Electrostatics and panel speakers. To demonstrate speakers with a lack of inertia and boxy effects.

High to very high efficiency speakers. Dynamic ease.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Everything is flawed in one way or another, it's just choosing the one you feel doesn't compromise in the areas that you cherish the most. As someone prevously mentioned, improvements are generally made by compromising elsewhere.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Everything is flawed in one way or another, it's just choosing the one you feel doesn't compromise in the areas that you cherish the most. As someone prevously mentioned, improvements are generally made by compromising elsewhere.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
lindsayt said:
I totally agree Davedotco. As I've already said in this thread, there are a lot of deeply flawed speakers for $2500 or less brand new. So it doesn't take much to shine in this genre.

Krolik: genres of speakers that would illustrate flaws in 8040's:

Medium to large to huge sealed box speakers, with sufficiently sized bass drivers. Most likely to be 3 ways. To show how to handle bass transients.

Electrostatics and panel speakers. To demonstrate speakers with a lack of inertia and boxy effects.

High to very high efficiency speakers. Dynamic ease.

Actually I think the 8040As do both of these things very well, "boxy" these speakers are not. Certainly not as transparent as good electrostatics but pretty damn good in comparison to most speakers, whatever the style. The midrange is particulatly clear, suggesting a very good integration between bass and treble units and a very well judged crossover.

I doubt the measured sensitivity (of the drive units) is particulaly high but the direct, active drive gives a sense of dynamic ease that is difficult to replicate outside of a few high sensitivity designs.

It is worth bearing in mind that the 8040A is part of a system, with a fine and very flexible subwoofer that also takes charge of bass management issues, this takes the total system price to around £2500.

On there own, in averadge sized rooms, they are a fine speaker at modest cost, they are though very different to the usual hi-fi amp/speaker combination at comparable price and this 'throws' many hi-fi enthusiasts.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts