Game changing kit.....

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
The Sonos ZP80/90: highly innovative MESH networking, and a GUI that was a doddle to use. This made high quality streaming a reality regardless of budget.

Good call.

Sonos was definitly a game changer regarding their streaming and networking abilities. These things were possible to do before but in the same way that Apple made downloading and playing digital music easy with the iPod/iTunes Sonos made it easy for the non computer geek to achieve streaming and networking. They did so in such a simple and polished way. It's another case of evolution and refinement of an existing technology making a game changing product.

I'd also say that the Logitech Squeezebox Touch was a minor game changer regarding streaming and playing digital music files too.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
I know I'll get slaughtered - IMHO, the bass on the Pulse is sublime. Within the £2k integrated bracket I've not heard such control. (But haven't heard all sub-£2k integrateds).

:silenced:

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
BBC LS3/5A.

Nothing revolutionary about them, if each element is looked at indvidually (KEF drivers, infinite baffle, beech ply, thin-wall etc.). They were just an in-house mini monitor designed specifically for outside broadcast vans and small radio studios.

However, they have taken on a life (and legend) of their own since then and a number of companies still make derivations/evolutions. (Spendor, Harbeth, Stirling Broadcast etc.)

Even KEF were at pains to point out the LS3/5A 'legacy' when they launched their LS50s.

For many years they were held as some kind of 'benchmark' for other 2-way bookshelf speakers. (Even Linn Kans were a nod towards the LS3/5As.)

Originals still fetch big prices on ebay.

It is pretty unique (due to the BBC licensing of the design) that models made by Chartwell, RAM, Rogers, Spendor, Harbeth, Goodmans et al were all identical in materials, build, drivers, crossover elements, grille cloth etc. (Everything but veneer and badge.) The idea was that the BBC could buy from any of the companies and use any two (or very often just one) and they should all sound and measure the same as any other.

Many here will object to my nominating them, but I think they qualify.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
And this of course...

A21pic.jpeg

The first ones were marketed as the 'Richard Allan A21' in 1968, but after a few months their manufacturer started making them with his own name on the front.

And they are still making them.

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:
I know I'll get slaughtered - IMHO, the bass on the Pulse is sublime. Within the £2k integrated bracket I've not heard such control. (But haven't heard all sub-£2k integrateds).

:silenced:

That's okay - far better than I expected.

Sure the Leema doesn't have the sublime midrange or the sweet top-end of a flagship Arcam 2-channel, but the Leema's bass is incredible. Hence why speaker and source matching is so important.

CnoEvil said:
Al ears said:
I'd add on the Colorfly C4 Pro. It certainly changed the way I listen to music on the move and has recently spawned a whole new list of similar machines, from the likes of Astell & Kern et al.

Game changing kit I've never heard of.......must be my age, and luddite status with all things technical. :doh:

I know what you mean, as I'm getting on a bit! :)

Consider it a hi-res version of a Walkman Pro WM-D6C, a player / DAC and you will not go far wrong.

http://www.colorfly.eu/product_index.html

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
And this of course...

A21pic.jpeg

The first ones were marketed as the 'Richard Allan A21' in 1968, but after a few months their manufacturer started making them with his own name on the front.

And they are still making them.

What with this and the LS3/5A, we're not miles apart in our thinking.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
CnoEvil said:
What with this and the LS3/5A, we're not miles apart in our thinking.

Sorry about duplicates from your list, I hadn't read all of it apart from the bit about SL6 tweeters.

You are making a better case for them than I was, so feel free to carry on.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
mikeparker59 said:
What about the change from shellac 78's to Vinyl 33 1/3?? with the component being the change from metal needly to sapphire or diamond stylus?

Hmmm, not sure about that.......I think you are going to have to nominate a TT, and not just a little bit of one. ;)

Pioneer A-400, F-91, F-93, PD-91

ATC SCM50A SL, original & super Soft Dome mid range drive units

Naim Nait 2 (olive), NAP250 (olive), CDX/XPS MK1

Pioneer Kuro

Marantz CD65 MK2 SE, CD94, PM94

Yamaha Cinema DSP, CX-A5000

Monitor Audio Platinum C-CAM Ribbon HF unit, Focal Beryllium HF unit and ATC SH25-76 HF unit

JL Audio Fathom f212

Sony Wega, SCD-1

Pink Triangle Ordinal and DaCapo

Krell FPB Series of power amplifiers

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
mikeparker59 said:
What about the change from shellac 78's to Vinyl 33 1/3?? with the component being the change from metal needly to sapphire or diamond stylus?

Hmmm, not sure about that.......I think you are going to have to nominate a TT, and not just a little bit of one. ;)

I was thinking of the change from scratchy mono to the relative quietness of vinyl and the further development of stereo following the adoption of vinyl.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
mikeparker59 said:
I was thinking of the change from scratchy mono to the relative quietness of vinyl and the further development of stereo following the adoption of vinyl.

I know you were, but that's an evolution of format rather than of kit......though I take your point.

MUSICRAFT said:

Pioneer Kuro

Monitor Audio Platinum C-CAM Ribbon HF unit, Focal Beryllium HF unit and ATC SH25-76 HF unit

JL Audio Fathom f212

Sony Wega, SCD-1

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

Cno should've mentioned: Dealers not included. ;)

plastic penguin said:
MUSICRAFT said:

Pioneer Kuro

JL Audio Fathom f212

Sony Wega, SCD-1

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

Cno should've mentioned: Dealers not included. ;)

Hi plastic penguin

Most of the list of components are no longer in production and from some manufacturers that we don't deal or have even dealt with. Hopefully this shouldn't be a concern :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I think the introduction of DSP for speaker and room correction was a (recent) important step. Maybe the BeoLab 5 is a good candidate, with its fully automated room adaptation protocol. Or the Lyngdorf RoomPerfect module.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi plastic penguin

Most of the list of components are no longer in production and from some manufacturers that we don't deal with. Hopefully this shouldn't be a concern :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

All entrants are welcome.....although a little justification of why the nominations are worthy of "game changing" status, would be even better.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't think the Quad current dumpers such as the 405, 306 ever changed any games but ,in terms of sheer ingenuity, I think they deserve an honourable mention. They were heavily patented by Quad in the mid 1970's and thus any copycat amps were thwarted. Even the Quad utilitarian and compact design deserves a mention. I think Peter Walker and Quad were very typically British, ie a bit bonkers, if I might stereeotype and for thinking outside the box, no pun intended, they deserve credit. I know the preamps get some stick, but the amps, given a decent input, can sound airy, spacious and erm just right. Quad have their detractors, but I'm a huge fan.

The LP12 certainly changed the game at the time, controversy raged later.

I think Pro-ject and Rega both deserve a mention for showing just how good a budget turntable could sound.

The early budget Marantz CD players showed the way too.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Jim-W said:

It was a great deck (I owned one), but was it really that much better than the likes of Pink Triangle, Michell Gyrodec, Townshend Rock and Roksan Xerxes etc?

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Jim-W said:

It was a great deck (I owned one), but was it really that much better than the likes of Pink Triangle, Michell Gyrodec, Townshend Rock and Roksan Xerxes etc?

I've no idea if it's better than those decks tbh; only heard a Gyrodeck. I wasn't trying to suggest it was the best turntable, unlike Linn!, but in terms of the splash it made at the time, Linn's claim or fans' claim that it was the best turntable in the world, must have forced others to up their game or at least market their products more competitively. I think in that way, it changed the game ie the way it affected the market. I'm going to whisper this very quietly: I actually prefer the Axis.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts