FUTURE OF HI-FI

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
chebby said:
Andrew Everard said:
I used to love hazelnut chocolate bars, but...

...you went off Topic?

milesdavis.jpg

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
The_Lhc said:
Science has plenty of humility, talk to any astrophysicist and they'll happily admit there's far more that we don't know than that we do and that even what we think we know is quite possibly wrong.

That doesn't seem to stop any scientist (like Richard Dawkins) telling everyone that any other 'model', used by people to understand the world, is wrong.

You should actually read (or re-read) Dawkins. He repeatedly states he is open to other theories, if they are verifiable by evidence. He says, however, that Darwinist evolution is massively evidence based and has, in effect, been conclusively proved. Contrast with dogmatic creationism. Do you disagree? What alternative model to evolution do you propose?

Obviously way OT, but people shouldn't attack the content of what is said just because they dislike the style in which it is presented (yes, The God Delusion had a hectoring tone to it).

A

Anonymous

chebby said:
I'll bet you could find many highly intelligent and cultured people, with a love of music from all genres (including many trained classical musicians), who are happy to listen to music on equipment you would scorn.

Well said, and are they bothered? I saw a recent picture of Paul Weller's music room and the kit was very basic, including speakers in the ceiling corners. I've downsized from mid-range to an M38DAB Denon and am very happy with it. In fact, I'm enjoying music more than ever!
smiley-cool.gif

A

Anonymous

The_Lhc said:
Give it thirty years you'll walk into your living room, say "Random selection - Play" and the room will be filled with music and you'll have no idea where it's coming from and you won't care because it'll sound incredible.

I gave the wife the remote for the iPod system, put a blindfold on, walked in the room, said "Random selection -Play" and Bob's your uncle!!! The future is now..........
smiley-laughing.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Graham_Thomas said:
I gave the wife the remote for the iPod system, put a blindfold on, walked in the room, said "Random selection -Play" and Bob's your uncle!!! The future is now..........
smiley-laughing.gif

Who did she think Bob was before your emphatic revelation, the donning of a blindfold, a terse demand for random music and the telescoping of time?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
chebby said:
Who did she think Bob was before your emphatic revelation, the donning of a blindfold, a terse demand for random music and the telescoping of time?

Oh she knew who Bob was – she was just grateful her husband walked in wearing a blindfold so he couldn't see her 'uncle' hopping from foot to foot trying to get his kecks back on before exiting through an open window, shoes in hand. (c) Ray Cooney 1973.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
Oh she knew who Bob was – she was just grateful her husband walked in wearing a blindfold so he couldn't see her 'uncle' hopping from foot to foot trying to get his kecks back on before exiting through an open window, shoes in hand. (c) Ray Cooney 1973.

The randomly selected music probably came in handy to mask the sounds of 'Bob exiting stage left via French windows' (it has to be French windows).

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
tremon said:
The_Lhc said:
steve_1979 said:
[..] speakers haven't changed very much for over a century. There's been constant improvements and evolution of technologies and materials but there hasn't been any fundemental breakthrough or change in the way they actually work.

Which is exactly where I'd be focusing my research.
You mean like this?

This may be the future of sub-bass tho, very interesting stuff.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
chebby said:
The randomly selected music probably came in handy to mask the sounds of 'Bob exiting stage left via French windows' (it has to French windows).

...And only moments before the vicar, the parish council and the twinning visitors from Bad Plessnaming arrive for drinks

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
chebby said:

.....Bob just happens to be my Uncle, and he's as happy as Larry (I work with him too).

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
CnoEvil said:
.....Bob just happens to be my Uncle, and he's as happy as Larry (I work with him too).

Andrew, can you work Larry into this please? (I'm too busy laughing.)

(I'm just hoping Graham has a brother called John.)

If John Graham counts, he is the guy who is responsible for our PLCs at work.....Twilight Zone or what! :O

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
manicm said:
The_Lhc said:
manicm said:
The laws of physics are most certainly mutable

I don't think so, the universe runs on certain fixed rules, if you know how they might be changed then speak up, you'll make your fortune on the lecture circuit...
Someone takes me seriously.
smiley-laughing.gif

Erm, no.

Oh well, back to arguing. :)

How does Dark Matter and Antimatter fit into the fixed rules of the universe?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
The_Lhc said:
manicm said:
The_Lhc said:
manicm said:
The laws of physics are most certainly mutable

I don't think so, the universe runs on certain fixed rules, if you know how they might be changed then speak up, you'll make your fortune on the lecture circuit...
Someone takes me seriously.
smiley-laughing.gif

Erm, no.

Oh well, back to arguing. :) How does Dark Matter and Antimatter fit into the fixed rules of the universe?

Very good questions and when we figure that out we'll be a few more steps along the way to understanding what those rules are exactly.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
What I think Andrew means is (although I wouldn't dream of speaking for him), if you look at the press coverage on the right hand side of the page, it stretches back quite a few years, so the system has been around for a while and given that more than one of us here has seemingly never heard of it before, it doesn't appear to be making much headway in the market.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Fair enough. Was just wondering if Andrew was saying there was a previous failed business from 5 years ago. I'm not sure the fact that few people have heard of this (kind of the point of new technology) or that it's not a big company is conclusive that this is not the future: it's expensive, new and potentially 'scary' and these things can take time. I find it interesting that there's a technology which can reproduce 11hz with no distortion.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Was just wondering if Andrew was saying there was a previous failed business from 5 years ago.

Bizzare interpretation of the day ahoy! No, just that I remember we wrote about this back in the days of Home Cinema magazine (of blessed memory), and it really hasn't caught on since. I don't see it gaining many fans...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts