Full System Upgrade - Advice Required

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I have an old 42" Sony rear projection TV that is now taking 10mins to warm up and display a picture
emotion-2.gif
. I also have a Denon AVF100 surround sound system that I paid a small fortune for a few years ago, but is hardly used as babies/kids came along shortly afterwards and the subwoofer was just too loud - plus I haven't had the time to use it
emotion-5.gif

Thus I have been considering 2 options:

a) Buying a top of the range TV and either trying to integrate/upgrade my Denon to blue ray cheaply, or ignore the surround sound for the time being and upgrade it with like for like Denon when they release it and when I can afford it (likely next year at best)

b) Buy a cheaper Sony lcd TV and go for a Sony all in one blue ray surround sound package (although after initial browsing I'm a bit confused as to what I should be going for).

My initial feeling is that the like for like Denon upgrade is going to be too expensive and would possibly end up requiring a full replacement which would be gutting. Also an all in one system would allow me to use the Denon either in the conservatory on a 32" HD JVC lcd or in our bedroom as a hi-fi.

If I was to go for a top of the range TV and forget HD surround sound then I was looking at the Pioneer PDP-LX5090. If I was to go for an all in one Sony TV and blue ray surround package then I was looking at the Sony KDL-46W4500.

Any advice on the 2 TV's and possibly more importantly what I should do with my surround sound would be most appreciated. Also is HD sound as much an improvement as HD vision and would I be blown away by it?

Thanks in advance.

Richard

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Just wondered if you have considered the Panasonic 46pz85 plasma at around £1150 as an alternative to the Pioneer add a decent blu-ray player , like the Panasonic DMP-BD35 for around £250, then youve still got a grand for a decent surround system. Something like this would be a good start, Yamaha AX863se for £500 and Tannoy F1 customs for £600. Complete homecinema experience for £2500, but dont forget all your cables. You will need speaker cables, sub cable and hdmi cables. You may also a get a good deal on the older Pioneer model the 508xd, this will still give you some cash for a decent budget surround sound system and blu-ray player.IF budget is no problem than i would go for the Pioneer PDP-LX5090 and top spec blu-ray player either the new Pioneer or the new Denon, then add homecinema surround speakers at a later date.

A

Anonymous

I'm being a bit blinkered at the moment due to the low volume of reviews I've read, my bias towards Sony, and a bit too much information overload. I haven't taken much notice of the technology over the last few years and it's pretty daunting, as what I knew and thought was good is so out of date now. Looks like I need to spend more time researching.

TRENDING THREADS