Full or half width?

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
First of all, apologies to Drummerman, as I think this is the kind of thread topic that he may have liked to have started ;-)

So, when it comes to hifi what size of component do you prefer, full or half width? I prefer the latter ... I can't be doing with 435mm wide stuff anymore as they take up too much space, look a bit too old fashioned, and sometimes are way too big for the electronics they accommodate. I think the Cyrus shoebox is the ideal form factor, although even the depth of these boxes can be a bit challenging with most furniture cabinets being 40cm deep.

PS I do own old Yamaha receiver, and the full size look suits it, and looking inside every bit of space seems to be used with bits of string everywhere for FM dial! :)

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
although most of my gear is the standard full-width size, I do have some half-width gear (sky hd box) and even some half-half sized gear ( project stereo power amp) so I guess what I'm saying is that size does not matter to me.*blush*

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I actually prefer smaller boxes for hifi. I currently have some not quite full width? Linn boxes - but much preferred the look of the older LK Linn Kit, that was the perfect size for me.

On a separate note I also much preferred green / red / orange LEDs - Why does every single manufacturer now feel they have to use blue (which was a novelty at first) and generally on silver casework? When did blue and silver ever go together outside of the world of electronics........

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
For me, sound is important and not the size. But, for comfort reason and because the rest of my rack is full sized, I would choose something in champaign color and full sized. Only exception in my set are the phono preamps and the different separate PSU for the turntable and the phono pre.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I do like the Cyrus and Quad half-width stuff. Makes it just a bit different. It seems very clear that when Henry Azima designed the original Mission Cambridge amp which became the Cyrus One, the design was paying more than just a nodding compliment to the Quad 33 which IMO is an absolute design classic, along with the matching FM3 tuner. Though quite why they [Quad] had to completely balls-up the design of the complimentary (certainly not matching) 303 power amp is a mystery; it looks like a piece of test equipment from an electronics engineer's lab, not a piece of hifi.

MajorFubar said:
I do like the Cyrus and Quad half-width stuff. Makes it just a bit different. It seems very clear that when Henry Azima designed the original Mission Cambridge amp which became the Cyrus One, the design was paying more than just a nodding compliment to the Quad 33 which IMO is an absolute design classic, along with the matching FM3 tuner. Though quite why they [Quad] had to completely balls-up the design of the complimentary (certainly not matching) 303 power amp is a mystery; it looks like a piece of test equipment from an electronics engineer's lab, not a piece of hifi.

The mere fact that power amps that are class AB but running class A cup to a point mean the heat sinks required necessitate a full width case, unless like Cyrus, the whole box is a heatsink.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
mond said:
I actually prefer smaller boxes for hifi. I currently have some not quite full width Linn boxes - but much preferred the look of the older LK Linn Kit, that was the perfect size for me.

I had the Kolektor/LK85 combo ... they were a good size, but even these smaller Linn cases has a lot of fresh air inside, so could have been even smaller.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
mond said:
Why does every single manufacturer now feel they have to use blue (which was a novelty at first) and generally on silver casework? When did blue and silver ever go together outside of the world of electronics........

I'd advise you not to look at a Leema amp at max volume ;-)

K

keeper of the quays

mond said:
I actually prefer smaller boxes for hifi. I currently have some not quite full width? Linn boxes - but much preferred the look of the older LK Linn Kit, that was the perfect size for me.

On a separate note I also much preferred green / red / orange LEDs - Why does every single manufacturer now feel they have to use blue (which was a novelty at first) and generally on silver casework? When did blue and silver ever go together outside of the world of electronics........

well? Blue skies and clouds with silver linings?

matthewpiano

I'm flexible. I like the size of my Rega amp, but the TTPSU is smaller again and just the size it needs to be. The Rotel CD is full size but looks nice and at least the power LED is red to match the Rega stuff. Of course, with a turntable in the system, you are always going to need to accommodate something full width, and the sound is the number 1 priority anyway.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I'm flexible. I like the size of my Rega amp, but the TTPSU is smaller again and just the size it needs to be. The Rotel CD is full size but looks nice and at least the power LED is red to match the Rega stuff. Of course, with a turntable in the system, you are always going to need to accommodate something full width, and the sound is the number 1 priority anyway.

Technics SL-7/10

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
MajorFubar said:

I still have a pair of these in my loft and a spare power amp too.

I think they make the later Cyrus shoe boxes look and sound a little errr small *wink* *biggrin*

mission777_zpsbc10c850.jpg

Gray

Sound quality always overrides width considerations for me.

Cyrus amp beat two full-width rivals in my shortlist demo, but it's now racked with full-width (and three quater-width) stuff.

But then I've only got myself to please - nobody tells me what things should look like and, "That's the way, ah ha, ah ha, I like it" (as KC would say).

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Electro said:
MajorFubar said:

I think they make the later Cyrus shoe boxes look and sound a little errr small *wink* *biggrin*

They're ... they're ... I'm lost for words :)

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Not sure you could fit the contents of my amp in a narrow box but I do like the size of the Naim UQ2. I suppose it comes down to whether you could get the same performance from a half width case as you would with a full width.

There's some full width kit out there which are almost empty boxes and you could have fitted it into a box a quarter of the size.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
Electro said:
MajorFubar said:

They're ... they're ... I'm lost for words :)

Yes I agree, they are so uniquely beautiful they take your breath away don't they ! *i-m_so_happy*

K

keeper of the quays

Jota180 said:
Not sure you could fit the contents of my amp in a narrow box but I do like the size of the Naim UQ2.  I suppose it comes down to whether you could get the same performance from a half width case as you would with a full width.

There's some full width kit out there which are almost empty boxes and you could have fitted it into a box a quarter of the size.
best things come in small packages!

keeper of the quays said:
Jota180 said:
Not sure you could fit the contents of my amp in a narrow box but I do like the size of the Naim UQ2. I suppose it comes down to whether you could get the same performance from a half width case as you would with a full width.

best things come in small packages!

Not according to my wife. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts