Fubar 4 & Supplier vs Beresford Caiman as DAC & Headphone amp

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i always thought that the beresford kit looks very industrial - guess also depends how many inputs you need - not heard the BC so can't comment but currently listening to the fubar IV and Supplier with a pair of Senn HD280 and really enjoying the sound - quite looking forward to swapping the opamp out as some say this makes a big difference worth a try for fairly little out lay

idc

Dear What Hifi. Is there any chance of a group test of headphone amps and DACs combined? The test should look at performance as a DAC and as a headphone amp.

Thanks

emotion-2.gif

idc

You are bound to have a Beresford and iBasso, the ones with DAC and headphone amp available as well. Does the DACmagic have a headphone socket? Anyway, et voila! Group test.

I like your thinking
emotion-2.gif

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi Forum users and the mag,

Any updates as whether the Fubar VI or plus version are worth purchasing as a DAC/Headphone amp option? How do the various options compare. Has the mag tested the plus version of the Firestone?

Is there a large difference in sound of the above compared to a CDP (such as Marantz 6003) which has a headphone out - into some headphones and not an amp?

Are these DAC/ Headphone amp options only really worth purchasing if you listen solely via computer and not CD format?

Cheers

:)

John Duncan

My thought on the Fubar IV with Grados here - don't think the mag has reviewed either (though they can borrow mine from my drawer whenever they like
emotion-2.gif

It obviously depends on the quality of the headphones and I'd advise you to at least listen to the CD player's output on the 6003, but I'd expect it to be little more than an afterthought - a headphone amp connected to its RCA outs should give you a better result. Whether it's enough 'better' to warrant the expense only you can say really.

A

Anonymous

I've just ordered up a Fubar 4 - I cannae wait for it to be delivered some time this week. On paper it looks exactly what I'm looking for in my study.

I'll be using it with my Grado 60's to start with but may have to upgrade them in the future to something better.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts