Front ported stand mounts?

BadGuitarist

Jun 19, 2024
Visit site
Hello.
I am looking to replace my elderly stereo System with some modern gear and have limited options with speaker positioning. To this end I seek your advice and opinions on front ported stand mounted speakers. I am looking at buying a Marantz PM7000N streaming amp and have a budget of about £600 for speakers.
Do you have any suggestions please?

Are you actually saying you want to place the speakers close to the front wall? (That’s the one behind the speakers). I ask, because not all speakers have ports, but wanting to place close to the wall is quite a common request. In fact, I recall a recent thread which I’ll look for.

Here it is, for plenty of ideas, albeit a different budget.

Reactions: BadGuitarist

BadGuitarist

Jun 19, 2024
Visit site
Here it is, for plenty of ideas, albeit a different budget.

Thank you! Every time I demo gear, I come away even more confused! Yes. My hope is to place the speakers close to the back wall, and have the flexibility to move them if circumstances dictate.
I’m probably looking for something that doesn’t exist: a decent bass from a not too large speaker at a reasonable price. I shall keep my fingers crossed in hope! 😃

If your room isn’t too big then ATC ‘s little SCM7 will go close to a wall, as will the even tinier Neat Iota. Both are pricy but often available used.

A good little blog here about some small models. https://blog.audiot.co.uk/blog/2023...-better-three-little-lionhearted-loudspeakers

You are right though, you are kind of looking for something that’s impossible as you can only get 2 out of 3 from: sensitivity, bass extension, compact size. Choose carefully and you’ll find the best compromise for your ears and room.

See Hofmann’s Iron Law. He was a great engineer, and was the H in KLH loudspeakers, once a great US brand.

Gray

As a postscript, I have just been reading about this cute little design. You’d need to put a bit of effort in to hear some, but it’s nice to find a British company trying to meet an often stated need.

I scrolled down to 'you may also like' and I did like - the look of their TX1 standmounts; transmission line and a ribbon tweeter....for £1250.
Wonder how that compares with the Prodigy 1 for the same price
Interesting company.

Fandango Andy

Hello.
I am looking to replace my elderly stereo System with some modern gear and have limited options with speaker positioning. To this end I seek your advice and opinions on front ported stand mounted speakers. I am looking at buying a Marantz PM7000N streaming amp and have a budget of about £600 for speakers.
Do you have any suggestions please?
If you can cope with the size, they aren't small (450 x 215 x 300mm), save your money and have a look on eBay for a pair of Mission 701 from the early 2000's. They go for between £50 and £100 depending on colour and condition. They sound amazing, pair perfectly with Marantz, and are incredibly forgiving about placement. I have a pair in my bedroom 10cm from the wall.

twinkletoes

If you can cope with the size, they aren't small (450 x 215 x 300mm), save your money and have a look on eBay for a pair of Mission 701 from the early 2000's. They go for between £50 and £100 depending on colour and condition. They sound amazing, pair perfectly with Marantz, and are incredibly forgiving about placement. I have a pair in my bedroom 10cm from the wall.
I had them when I was 18 (well still got them), brilliant "little" speakers the little 700s are as well and found they are a little better with voices and you're right they can go extremely close to the wall..... I will add both respond well to very heavy stands. Atacama se24's for instance.

used the 700's and 701s and for a time 703's with pioneer, marantz, NAD and Yamaha all sounded fab, I recall the Yamaha and marantz being the best match

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts