From Onkyo 606 to 806

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi. I am planning to swap my 606 to get the 806. I will just add £100 and I can get the 806. Is this a worthy upgrade? Does the 806 has pre-out for me to add a dedicated amplifier? Is the 806 which has a 180 wpc suitable to use on a speaker with only 150 watts? Cheers in advance.

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Can't comment on the 606 as I've not heard one. All the reviews I have read I would go for the 806 over the 606. I think the 606 dosn't have pre outs. I have just got my 806 yesterday and got it set up last night (which replaced a Yam 763 which developed a fault). Yes the 806 does have pre outs which is what I do into my arcam amps. The power will be no prob as long as you don,t play at extreme volume.
As I said I,ve only just got it, but I'm pleased with it so far but I'm still playing with the settings to see if I can improve it any more.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andy. Can you please tell how do you connect your stereo amp to the onkyo 806?

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Hi,Just connect the front R&L pre outs on the 806 to an input on your external amp.

I'm connected to the aux connection.

One thing to remember, the volume you set on your external amp ie half way up the volume range, always has to be the same. the level you choose when you callibrate your AV amp. If you've got a numbered or db level on your amp this helps, because if it's not the same the balance of your home cinema will be incorrect for your front channels.

There have been other messages on this forum about this, it might be worth a check as they explain it better than I can.

daveh75

andy h,

dunno if your aware but your arcam has a "processor" mode if you use the "tape in" instead of "aux". Which when set up and the gain is adjusted turn's the input into a fixed line input which then means the volume is fixed at what ever level you set it at and negates the need to set the volume everytime your using with your a/v amp. if you have a look at page 8 of the a90 pdf it explains all.

daveh75

well most people recommend around 12 o'clock or half way up the range as the arcam's volume is measured in -+db/gain. but as you already set it up with the onkyo i'd set it to what ever setting you was using before hand, or if you know the gain of the onkyo set the arcam to match

A

Anonymous

Andy H:Hi,Just connect the front R&L pre outs on the 806 to an input on your external amp. I'm connected to the aux connection. One thing to remember, the volume you set on your external amp ie half way up the volume range, always has to be the same. the level you choose when you callibrate your AV amp. If you've got a numbered or db level on your amp this helps, because if it's not the same the balance of your home cinema will be incorrect for your front channels. There have been other messages on this forum about this, it might be worth a check as they explain it better than I can.Hi again. If I just add a budget stereo amp (such as marantz pm5003) will this improve the stereo sound of the 806? Thanks again.

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Hi, Not sure if it will improve the stereo sound of the 806, not being familiar with the marantz and not using the 806 for stereo playback.

I use my Arcams for stereo playback and the reason I intergrated the two systems was so I didn't have 2X front sets of speakers.

A

Anonymous

Hello again. OK I finally got my 806 by swapping the 606 which I owned for 7 months. I just paid the store what they called the "handling charge" which is 15% and added the price difference between the two. I paid a total of £109. It's not that I am not impressed with the 606, I just thought that by paying the said amount I can have a mid-priced av receiver with additional features which for me is a good bargain. However, I was a bit surprised because the 806 sounded " bright" compared with the 606. Can somebody please tell me what's the reason for this?

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
It will probably need time to 'bed in'.

The internal components have come to you 'cold', and need to be used to get to their optimum.

Leave it running something at low volumes for a day or so should improve your problem.

Let us know how you get on, as I have a 606 and was thinking of doing the same upgrade!!!

Cheers.....

A

Anonymous

Pistol Pete1:

It will probably need time to 'bed in'.

The internal components have come to you 'cold', and need to be used to get to their optimum.

Leave it running something at low volumes for a day or so should improve your problem.

Let us know how you get on, as I have a 606 and was thinking of doing the same upgrade!!!

Cheers.....
Thanks PP1. I made another thread regarding this. "My Onkyo TX-SR806 Experience".

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts