Freeview hd vs freesat hd picture quality

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi, I read in most reviews of new tvs with both freesat and freeview hd tuners that the freesat picture quality is better than freeview. Is there a big difference between the two? U am trying to decide if I want to go with a freeview hd pvr with the extra hd channel or freesat with more channels/ better picture? Any help would be great!

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I guess it also depends on signal strength. With a sat dish you can usually expect a really good signal but if you receive terrestial Freeview signals and live in a poor signal strength area like me (~30% signal strength and quality, so borderline picture with occasional dropouts) then maybe Freesat is the best way to go.

A

Anonymous

Freesat SD pictures are generally slightly better than their freeview counterparts.

As for channels - Freeview has Dave, Freesat gets CBS and a +1 for itv3,more4,film4 etc. and a load of shopping/religous/world channels.

If u have a satellite dish I'd recommend freesat. Channel4 HD is set to join shortly, along with itv player

Of course you could buy a panasonic tv with both a freesat and freeview HD tuner built in and have best of both worlds.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
edsib1:
Freesat SD pictures are generally slightly better than their freeview counterparts.

As for channels - Freeview has Dave, Freesat gets CBS and a +1 for itv3,more4,film4 etc. and a load of shopping/religous/world channels.

If u have a satellite dish I'd recommend freesat. Channel4 HD is set to join shortly, along with itv player

Of course you could buy a panasonic tv with both a freesat and freeview HD tuner built in and have best of both worlds.

It's interesting you say that, I have just got a panasonic v10 so I have a freesat tuner. I want a pvr so am trying to decide between the two for hd content. I have just been doing a bit of an ab comparison on the SD picture from freesat and freeview and the freeview looks a bit better to me (not by much though). I think I am in quite a strong freeview area so I think that a freeview hd pvr will be the best bet and I will still have the bonus of iplayer and the extra channels on freesat.
I think the profs recommendation of the digital stream is going to be the one. I have just ordered a Sony s370 bluray player so I think next month I will try one out!

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I have just (last 48 hours) bought and installed a a Digital Stream DHR8205U and all I can say is that I am very pleased, and already am cosidering adding another to replace the bank of VCRs that my wife uses. We live in a very poor signal area (~30%) accordinf to the DHR8205U, but it still shows a great picture.

Hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

bay24:edsib1:

It's interesting you say that, I have just got a panasonic v10 so I have a freesat tuner. I want a pvr so am trying to decide between the two for hd content. I have just been doing a bit of an ab comparison on the SD picture from freesat and freeview and the freeview looks a bit better to me (not by much though). I think I am in quite a strong freeview area so I think that a freeview hd pvr will be the best bet and I will still have the bonus of iplayer and the extra channels on freesat. I think the profs recommendation of the digital stream is going to be the one. I have just ordered a Sony s370 bluray player so I think next month I will try one out!

After much perseverance with the Philips HDT 8520 Freeview HD PVR (as Prof knows), I have finally had enough and exchanged it for the Humax HDR-Fox T2 . only got it today but first impressions are....... superb!
emotion-21.gif
emotion-21.gif
everything is very slick and well laid out IMO. On the HD picture quality, I have to say the Philips just shades it on detail and crispness. I still need to play around with the best video quality format setting as the Humax does not have an Auto/Native option (as yet). Humax is definately worth considering if your in the market for a HD Freeview PVR.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
nicholasc1585:bay24:edsib1:

It's interesting you say that, I have just got a panasonic v10 so I have a freesat tuner. I want a pvr so am trying to decide between the two for hd content. I have just been doing a bit of an ab comparison on the SD picture from freesat and freeview and the freeview looks a bit better to me (not by much though). I think I am in quite a strong freeview area so I think that a freeview hd pvr will be the best bet and I will still have the bonus of iplayer and the extra channels on freesat. I think the profs recommendation of the digital stream is going to be the one. I have just ordered a Sony s370 bluray player so I think next month I will try one out!

After much perseverance with the Philips HDT 8520 Freeview HD PVR (as Prof knows), I have finally had enough and exchanged it for the Humax HDR-Fox T2 . only got it today but first impressions are....... superb!
emotion-21.gif
emotion-21.gif
everything is very slick and well laid out IMO. On the HD picture quality, I have to say the Philips just shades it on detail and crispness. I still need to play around with the best video quality format setting as the Humax does not have an Auto/Native option (as yet). Humax is definately worth considering if your in the market for a HD Freeview PVR.

If money wasn't an issue I would get the humax but the digital stream is about a third less money so think that pamper in my range. I think my wife would kill me if i spend much more, tv bluray and pvr just before xmas! I had a similar hell with a sagem freeview hd box which got sent back so I want to get it right this time!

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
nicholasc1585:bay24:edsib1:

emotion-21.gif
emotion-21.gif

If money wasn't an issue I would get the humax but the digital stream is about a third less money so think that pamper in my range. I think my wife would kill me if i spend much more, tv bluray and pvr just before xmas! I had a similar hell with a sagem freeview hd box which got sent back so I want to get it right this time!

A

Anonymous

bay24,

Looking at Prof's comprehensive review and updates regarding the DigitalStream; it is a worthy option which appears quite stable, good performer and has a manufacturer who is proactively listening to its customers and improving its product in a timely fashion. Totally understand the budget issue, got to live within our means.

Enjoy Freeview HD
emotion-2.gif

Cheers,

Nick

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I just bought the Digital Stream two days ago. It's a superb unit and well worth the money. Support is also good - I had a query so sent them an email on Sunday and first thing Monday morning a tech guy rang me with the information I needed. Highly recommended.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts