Freeview HD PVR - Digital Stream DHR8205U

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Have had my DS for a few days now and I like it more and more. After a bit of fiddling I have managed to get 95% of the functionality mapped onto my Phillips Pronto (including macros) so that I can dispense with the original remote and get back to just one on the coffee table again.

I have one query, however. I can't find a way to reorder the channels - I like a particular line up so that it matches both my other TVs and the old Digifusion PVR. I've maybe missed it somewhere, but is it possible and if so how? I know I can do a Favourites list but I reckon that will be in the same default order as the Services, am I right?

TIA.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Yes, this is one we're all hoping for, if only so the HD channels can replace their SD equivalents at the top of the list! There's no definites as yet, but apparently the March update is going to further "enhance" the Favourites list functionality. The broad assumption on that statement is that you'll be able to re-order channels within it and also set the Favourites list in place of the regular list without it resetting back to the regular one each time. Here's hoping! I'll update here as soon as I know anything more.

A

Anonymous

professorhat:
Yes, this is one we're all hoping for, if only so the HD channels can replace their SD equivalents at the top of the list! There's no definites as yet, but apparently the March update is going to further "enhance" the Favourites list functionality. The broad assumption on that statement is that you'll be able to re-order channels within it and also set the Favourites list in place of the regular list without it resetting back to the regular one each time. Here's hoping! I'll update here as soon as I know anything more.

Thanks for the quick reply. It sounds as though the guys at DS are serious about developing software that gives us the functionality we want - something that seems sadly missing from most complanies.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Indeed, and just to show how much they have done to this effect, this is a complete list of all wish list items from another well known forum that have been implemented or are due to implemented in the next update. I'll reproduce here as I think it's a good indication of just how good Digital Stream have been at not only listening to their customers but also acting on their wishes:

Wish List Items Added in Last Update or to be Added Soon:

1. Instant Recording - Pop-Up - Added Better Duration Control
2. iPlayer - Added via MHEG support
3. Media support - Xvid/DivX playback - To be Added next Update
4. Direct Number Entry in EPG - Added
5. Favourites List View - Added - Fix for bug to be implemented
6. Indication of what programs have 5.1 audio - To be Added next Update
7. Cosmetics - RED Dot To be added to EPG next Update
8. Add : PiP when watching a recording. - Added
9. PIP - Direct Number Entry to change PIP Channel - Added
10. Transfer of SD and HD recordings - Added
11. Auto Folder Creation - To be Added but then delayed to add user option control.
12. Hide the .trp file extension - Added
13. Move Mute Icon to Bottom Right Position - To be Added
14. Backup Timer Schedule List - Restore function - To be Added
15. Persistent EPG Searches - Added remembers last search.
16. Grey Out Past Programs in EPG - To be Added

Previously Added in Past Updates:

1. 5.1DD - Transcoding from HE-AAC to DD is supported over optical
2. Resume Playback - File Position Marker
3. Default sort in Media is by Date.
4. Persistent Media List Sort Order
5. EPG gathering and navigation speed improved
6. Default for TimeShift Auto-Start is “Enabled”
7. Gray-out - unreachable services in OK List
8. Chase Playback Continues even after the current recording stopped
9. Live Buffer Auto Restart when Recorder becomes Free
10. Picture Quality Control Menu
11. 576i option
12. Pillar Box 4:3 Mode - Main Menu and WIDE Button
13. “NEW” icon for new recordings
14. Audio Description Recording
15. HD Subtitle Recording
16. Fan On/Off - Auto Temperature controlled
17. JPEG photo rotation
18. Cursor position memory in Media List
19. Bring up File/Buffer Position-Banner at any time with PLAY button.
20. Continue recording even after mains power interruption situation
21. HDD repair function for an external HDD
22. Add Best QoS Mux selection if LCN conflicts

This doesn't even really include any of the minor bug fixes that were necessary. When you compare this to the likes of the big boys (especially with the likes of Philips / Pace with the HDT8520), it speaks volumes about Digital Stream's after sales support.

A

Anonymous

Hi Professorhat, I just joined up to the forum so I could say thank you very much for the brilliant review and follow ups after the updates.

I just saw this on Amazon for £169.99 and Googled it having never heard of them before. Found a couple of reviews but still wasn't quite sure but your follow up reviews of the updates has convinced me. They seem like a brilliant company for listening to customers and it sounds like brilliant piece of tech can only imporve! I am very interested in seeing what happens with the forthcoming iPlayer interaction too.

Thanks again!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Many thanks - glad it's been useful
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Excellent write up. I am looking to buy the digital stream dhr8206u or the 05 version, can you pease confirm if you can archive recordings to an external HDD on the 8206?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Thanks! Yes, the DHR8206 is exactly the same as the 8205 except it has a 1 TB drive instead of 500 GB, so you will be able to archive recordings to a USB disk with the same restrictions i.e. must be 160 GB or larger and HD recordings will be encrypted.

A

Anonymous

Hi, i'm not sure on the type of cable. Its the standard cable that sky engineers use when putting the pics into another room. Possibly Coaxial cable but im not sure!!!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Looking at it, if you're looking to output the Digital Stream video to another TV, you can only use the HDMI, Scart or composite outputs. So I don't think a coaxial cable wouldn't do the job I'm afraid.

If you can't run a long cable, you could try something like this.

daveh75

SpennyDave said:
Hi, i'm not sure on the type of cable. Its the standard cable that sky engineers use when putting the pics into another room. Possibly Coaxial cable but im not sure!!!

professorhat said:
Looking at it, if you're looking to output the Digital Stream video to another TV, you can only use the HDMI, Scart or composite outputs. So I don't think a coaxial cable wouldn't do the job I'm afraid.

If you can't run a long cable, you could try something like this.
An External RF modulator (like THIS for example) would allow SpennyDave to connect the DS to his existing Sky RF/coaxial cabling.

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Prof, has there been an over the air update ? My unit has suddenly started asking for my password every time I set a recording, and a white G in a red disk has appeared against some (apparently random) recordings. Never seen either before !

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
As far as I'm aware, there aren't any over the air updates scheduled at this time - you can only update using a USB disk. According to the schedule, the only updates happening this week are for the Humax, the Sagem and the Sony. Have not noticed either of these points above either and I'm running the current latest version (4.02).

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
bob.g said:
a white G in a red disk has appeared against some (apparently random) recordings. Never seen either before !

Just seen this myself - looking in the manual, it apparently means it's a programme where guidance is recommended - I had it on the Secret Diary of a Call Girl recording. My guess would be this is something the broadcaster tags the programme with and they've only just started doing it, hence why this has only just started appearing.

A

Anonymous

Anyone having issues recording? Getting an error "This service is not available to record"

Also where can I download the firmware from? any links? I tried the DS webpage and cannot find it.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
fondmetal said:
Anyone having issues recording? Getting an error "This service is not available to record"

Nope, all working fine for me. Are you getting this on all channels? When do you get the error?

fondmetal said:
Also where can I download the firmware from? any links? I tried the DS webpage and cannot find it.

As mentioned previously, the update is provided on the MIT website (here).

CDogg

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
professorhat, thanks for an excellent review. very informative. i just purchased the dhr8203 yesterday from currys. i think it is a joy to use although i have some minor issues with it. i was wondering if there is any way to turn the red lights off at the front of the box so that they only light up when i press them. they can be a little distracting when watching tv in a dark room. if there isn't, do you think this could be remedied in an update as i think its a software issue rather than a hardware one, or am i wrong? also, i'm not too keen on the remote. its a little too flimsy for my liking. could you recommend me a good universal remote that would allow me full control of all features on the box? any help would be appreciated. thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
cundogg said:
i was wondering if there is any way to turn the red lights off at the front of the box so that they only light up when i press them. they can be a little distracting when watching tv in a dark room. if there isn't, do you think this could be remedied in an update as i think its a software issue rather than a hardware one, or am i wrong?

There's no option for this at the moment and it's not been mentioned as something that will be added in the latest update which is due to be released in the next week or so either unfortunately. It has been on the wishlist since the inception of it (September last year) - the fact it hasn't been implemented as yet means that it's either (a) not possible or (b) it's quite a bit of work and therefore is not high enough on the owner's wishlist to warrant the effort (it came in 17th of all the wishlist items). Not easy to tell which I'm afraid though according to one of the beta testers of the firmware, this update is unlikely, not impossible which suggests it's (b).

cundogg said:
also, i'm not too keen on the remote. its a little too flimsy for my liking. could you recommend me a good universal remote that would allow me full control of all features on the box?

Tricky as remote controls are such a personal thing. What other devices do you have which you'd like to control and what sort of money would you be thinking of spending? I'm a big fan of the Logitech Harmony remotes and I personally use the 555 - it's discontinued now but can still be purchased secondhand for about £40 - £50 according to a Google search.

They have newer models now though, including the Harmony One which is a flagship model (but quite pricey at about £100), but the 650 is a bit cheaper at £60-£75. Quite a few people who own the Digital Stream have also purchased the 300 (£17.99 at Play.com) and are very happy with it - it all depends on what your needs are really.

CDogg

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
well i have a lg plasma with sky, a dvd player and a ps3. i think i will be getting a decent sound setup aswell when i have enough money so if i could get a remote that would work all these it would be great. i don't think i would spend more than £70 on a remote though. the logitech 555 looks like a good choice although i would rather something new with warranty. thanks for the help. these forums are great!!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
The 650 is probably your best bet then, seems to be about £60.

Word of warning though, it won't control your PS3 out of the box. This is because the PS3 uses bluetooth rather than infrared. To get it to control the PS3, you'd need to also buy the PS3 adaptor which is another £40. I haven't bothered with this personally and just use the standard Sony PS3 remote.

CDogg

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
there seems to be good reviews on that remote although i ended up buying the harmony 600. its supposed to be the same as the 650 except for the colour screen and got it for £40 from best buy so am happy enough with that. thanks for the advice

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts