A

Anonymous

[quote user="bobbys"]Any one know much about it? Will i be able to record hd programs to my sony 970 hdd ?[/quote]

I suggest this:

http://www.freesat.co.uk/help.php

I am looking forward to freesat (note the lower case "f"). I used to have Sky+ installed so I can literally plug a HD dual-tuner freesat PVR in and that's it, instant HD on the main channels for free!

About 80 channels have signed up to the new EPG, so you'll get freeview like EPG data. I guess you can receieve any of the 200 or so FTA satellite channels on the box too, you just won't get any EPG data for them because they haven't paid to be listed in the channel line-up.

As far as HD broadcast is concered the unconfirmed line up is BBC HD, ITV HD and Lux HD. Channel 4 (also in HD) are expected to join freesat "soon", they are tied into a Sky contract. Channel 5 is unknown at this time, would be a bummer if they don't join freesat soon'ish.

The rumour is that the new Argos catalogue will have a freesat box in their end of January edition. Humax and Philips are rumoured to be manufacturers and there was also mention of Sagem. A Humax PVR has been unofficially confirmed as being tested for the service.

There will be a package you can buy to have freesat installed if you wish. Only a few outlets have been chosen, such as Tesco, John Lewis, Argos etc.

I should point out that any satellite receiver will get freesat, but only the freesat ones will receive the EPG data, so don't rush out and get any old receiver just yet.

The launch is very close (March?) but details are really sketchy and rumours are rife!

Personally if I was Sky I would be afraid of the impact this will have on their subscriptions. At the moment Sky is the only way to get this sort of service (complete with EPG data and a descent PVR).

A

Anonymous

Will i be able to get International Eurosport on the freesat, it is still available on the old astra platform that the old analogue sky was on. Note that i dont like British Eurosport as the programming is sometimes different to International.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="bobbys"]Will i be able to get International Eurosport on the freesat, it is still available on the old astra platform that the old analogue sky was on. Note that i dont like British Eurosport as the programming is sometimes different to International.[/quote]

No idea. If it isn't already on freesat then I would imagine it to be in a different part of the sky, so you may need a motorised dish.

A

Anonymous

Once FREESAT comes on I hope that SKY will drop their SKYHD prices for the cost of the HD box at least or drop the extra £10 a month more for the HD channels. I'm waiting to see what happens because if I go with SKYHD now I may regret it in a few months time when FREESAT hits the atmosphere

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Surely if i have a sky box ill get epg data on freesat channels...? But if i want to get the HD progs i still need to get sky hd if i dont want to part company with sky, is that right...? I'd consider leaving Sky, but thatd depend on getting a couple of channels i dont think id get with freesat, so ill wait and see EXACTLY (excuse caps) what id get if i changed over.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts