Freebie upgrade (of sorts)

Last week, I managed to source some solid oak slabs that had once been someone's kitchen work surface. When I saw it, I had an idea to repurpose this, my thoughts were to use one piece for my atacama rack to stand on, and cut the second slab, for my speakers to stand on ( plus granite chopping boards)

so, on Saturday I got this all in place, it all looks great to me, and the added height to the speakers has given them a boost, the bass is much more punchy. Vocals are more defined and the treble a little softer.

Acoustic guitar sounds amazing.

The 60mm additional height has made a massive difference to the presentation, and maybe the extra isolation is helping the bass kick a bit harder. All for zero cost.

Muddywaterstones

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
As a bonus free tip, granite cutting boards will kill the edge on your knives faster than a Buddy Rich drum roll. Much better use of resources placed under speakers!

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I recycled an old slate slab/shelf from my pantry (installed circa 1946), cutting it into smaller slabs to go under both my floorstanders and bookshelf stands. Protects the laminate floor from the spikes, helps with isolation, gives a bit more solidity to the speakers, and because the slabs will slide (if pushed very hard) makes those fine placement adjustments much easier. I'm ashamed to admit that I have small bits of tape on the floor to mark the perfect position of the speakers just in case somebody moves them from their perfect spot *blush*

Muddywaterstones said:
As a bonus free tip, granite cutting boards will kill the edge on your knives faster than a Buddy Rich drum roll. Much better use of resources placed under speakers!

How very true. They are only any good for standing speakers on or placing hot saucepans on no good for chopping (use wood or better still plastic ;-) )

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts