FREE HDMI Lead with a subscription to What Hifi?????????????? What a JOKE!!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Last month i bought my usual copy of What hifi from my newsagent, and to my surprise i saw and advert in there, to get a free HDMI lead with from ichord, if you subscribe to the mag. I always buy it, so thought, what a mint offer!!!! the advert priced the lead at over 70 quid!!

So i thought what a bargain, £21 to subscribe, get 6 issues get £70 worth of top notch lead free. I feel stupid and ripped off, the lead arrived today and i opened it, only to find it's a half metre lead....... What good is that to anyone???

At the risk of sounding ungrateful, as the magazine is an excellent magazine, and i have saved money on subscribing anyway.

But i do feel as if i have have been done by a cunning bit of marketing, but done by a mag that prides itself on getting people value for money when buying equipment. I dont see this lead as value for money when it wont reach anything in my setup.

Would be interested to here if anyone else has fallen foul of this trick, or from the what hifi crew, to see wht their thoughts are, and please give me some ideas to do with my extremely short lead.... Clean ones please.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
It's not a trick, and there's no reason to feel ripped off - the subscription promotion in the January issue clearly says 'Subscribe today and we'll send you a FREE 0.5 metre Chord Company HDMI 1.3 Silver Plus Cable'

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Sorry you're not happy with your free gift, but It clearly stated it was a 0.5m length on the subscriptions page, as has been discussed here several times since.

The point of a 0.5m lead is that it saves cable spaghetti when you're plugging a rack of kit into your AV receiver - a shorter run is ideal for kit directly above or below your receiver, which is why Chord made the cable in a shorter length.

Maybe we should have made this clearer in the subs ad - i'll pass that onto the subscriptions team.

We will be running further subs ads with different-length cables in the future, BTW.

In the meantime, i'd suggest eBay is your friend?

A

Anonymous

I'm happy to swap your 0.5m Silver Plus for a 1m QED HDMI-P if you're interested.

I'd only need a short run in my system.......... and I'll aways happy to help out a fellow subscriber! :)

Ketch

A

Anonymous

Cheers mate, i'd be up for that, if you give me some sort of contact details i'd gladly sort it out.

And as for not reading the advertisement properly everyone else......Sorry DOH!!!!!

Also just a s an addition to that, popped into my local sony shop today, and thye had the new slice if toest tv on display, it's flippin awesome!!! Gonna be about £3000 quid, they weren't sure of exact cost as it had a speaker as its base and they didn't know if this was included in the price. But what a stunning tv.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew, but after further consideration, it'll do better as a birthday present for my brother, he'll appreciate it, and be really happy i got him something he'll use for a change.

Sorry QED Man, for backin out of the deal.

Minigill

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
alfred44:
Last month i bought my usual copy of What hifi from my newsagent, and to my surprise i saw and advert in there, to get a free HDMI lead with from ichord, if you subscribe to the mag. I always buy it, so thought, what a mint offer!!!! the advert priced the lead at over 70 quid!!

So i thought what a bargain, £21 to subscribe, get 6 issues get £70 worth of top notch lead free. I feel stupid and ripped off, the lead arrived today and i opened it, only to find it's a half metre lead....... What good is that to anyone???

At the risk of sounding ungrateful, as the magazine is an excellent magazine, and i have saved money on subscribing anyway.

But i do feel as if i have have been done by a cunning bit of marketing, but done by a mag that prides itself on getting people value for money when buying equipment. I dont see this lead as value for money when it wont reach anything in my setup.

Would be interested to here if anyone else has fallen foul of this trick, or from the what hifi crew, to see wht their thoughts are, and please give me some ideas to do with my extremely short lead.... Clean ones please.

How long did it take for your lead to come ?

A

Anonymous

I received mine on Thursday. And it was precisely 0.5m. Just as advertised in the offer. The way I was expecting it to be.

Sure, it won't be of any use whatsoever connecting my Blu Ray player to my TV, but that's what my 1M QED HDMI-P is for. No, it's an ideal length to connect my Blu Ray Player to the amplifier sitting right next to it. Means I won't have any cables trailing around the back and also gives me a top quality cable for this purpose.

I'm not sure how you can complain about recieving your half metre cable and it turns out to be only 50cm in length...and as for the price, well Chord advertise it on their website for £73.36...the advert was probably aproved pre-VAT change http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=HDM0218/1390.0.43625.43629.0.0.0

Thanks for a really useful offer!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts