free alternative to airfoil?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Got Airtunes working with my new Airport Express. However just wondering if there is a free (Win) alternative to Airfoil, or do I have to fork out $25.

Also, if I have to fork out for Airfoil, it gives two options:

single user - one user on multiple computers

family package - up to 5 people in a family

both myself and the wife will want to stream our separate Spotify accounts, from separate users on our computers, so do we have to fork out for a Family Package, or will a single license do the trick? they must be raking it in!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
It's not a bad point though is it? Would you like everything you want to be given away for free?

EDITED BY MODS - please don't attack other members

How's about we say, "no there aren't any free alternatives", would that sugar the pill at all?

John Duncan

As a member of the general public, I'd say try installing it as administrator available to all users and see if it works for all.

As someone who tries to make a living developing software, I'd say it's an extra $21, stop being such a meanie*

*self-moderated.

A

Anonymous

Bought a single license and it seems to be happy on both user accounts. Haven't installed it on the other PC, but seeing as I'm using it for Spotify there's little point really as that's a PC stuck in the other room and just installed it on the laptop.

I'm more than happy to spend money on software, however my question was simply if there was a free product which did the same thing. Airfoil is good (not perfect though) and I personally feel that £21 is a little steep for it. Just my opinion...

harveymt

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
Off the top of my head, you can install Spotify on up to 3 computers. I know I have it on my netbook and desktop. And, if I understand how it works correctly, it's hijacking the audio of the computer so you could have 100 Spotify accounts and it wouldn't make any difference as it's only one or two machines.

A

Anonymous

WiFi2HiFi app is free alternative. You can download free version on thier official website. It is app to provide streaming support for all popular audio programs on the Mac and PC.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Not quite the same as you need an iPhone / iPod Touch for this solution to work, whereas Airfoil streams direct to any AirPlay compatible device. Possibly useful for some people though.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
It is possible to do this with winamp + shoutcast dsp using an plugin that allows u to use mulitple output plugins.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=185282

Not the most straightforward solution though,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts