Found an SME tonearm in house clearance

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
My girlfriend's son had been clearing his deceased grandfather's house in readiness for sale. He handed me a box he'd found in the attic saying, you're into hifi, if it's of any use you can have it. It was an SME 3009 series 2 in its original box. I've never owned an SME tonearm, I don't know anything about them other than people who know far more about hifi equipment than me really rate them. From the little research I've done, I gather it's an entry level SME. So, could I use it with my Pink Triangle LPT? Is it a better arm than my Origin Live upgraded RB300?

6and8 said:
My girlfriend's son had been clearing his deceased grandfather's house in readiness for sale. He handed me a box he'd found in the attic saying, you're into hifi, if it's of any use you can have it. It was an SME 3009 series 2 in its original box. I've never owned an SME tonearm, I don't know anything about them other than people who know far more about hifi equipment than me really rate them. From the little research I've done, I gather it's an entry level SME. So, could I use it with my Pink Triangle LPT? Is it a better arm than my Origin Live upgraded RB300?

Nice find. It's an old tonearm but a classic. Many variations, see this article to find out which exactly you have.

http://www.analogue-classics.com/html/sme_3009___3012.html

Whether it's better than your RB300 is debatable as you may find it tricky to match it to a modern cartridge.

You will have difficulty fitting a SME to the LPT as it doesn't have the facility to interchange base plates. Sell it on along with the RB300 and buy a second-hand Origin Live tonearm if you want to upgrade. It needs to be something with the original Rega column fitting.

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
It says on the box:

model 3009 series ll improved non-detachable shell.

I've been told they go for about £200, I think I'll hang on to it for a bit, until I decide to upgrade, and then trade it against something else. Which may be a while as I'm still enjoying my Origin Live upgraded RB300 and my next cartridge upgrade, Nagaoka MP200, only arrived in the post yesterday.

But as you say, a nice find.

6and8 said:
It says on the box:

model 3009 series ll improved non-detachable shell.

I've been told they go for about £200, I think I'll hang on to it for a bit, until I decide to upgrade, and then trade it against something else. Which may be a while as I'm still enjoying my Origin Live upgraded RB300 and my next cartridge upgrade, Nagaoka MP200, only arrived in the post yesterday.

But as you say, a nice find.

Wish I had one in my attic. :)

I guess that figure is about right, if you are lucky it could be more like £300+ if complete and in good condition, you can always check what they have gone for in the past eBay. Enjoy what you have. Should be a nice combo with that cartridge.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts