For WHF reviewers: Primare I32 review

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Interesting review of the I32 in the new WHF. Without spoiling it, it's fair to say it's not entirely glowing. I have mixed feelings about this: I'm glad my pre30 etc has not been beaten, but like Primare a lot as a manufacturer so feel it's a shame.

The one thing missing from the review seemed to be any comparison to the i30. A lot of the description I would have thought would have been shared: 'crisp and detailed', 'fine degree of separation', 'plenty of scale and authority' etc.

So I was wondering if the WHF review team (or anyone else who's heard both) could tell me what they felt the differences were between this and the i30?

Thanks,
Ben

Ketan Bharadia

Jun 7, 2007
Visit site
Hi Ben,

The two amps do indeed share a common presentation. From memory I'd say I30 is more organic in the way it deals with dynamics and has a more surefooted way with rhythms. The I32 counters with a cleaner, perhaps more precise sound, but bearing in mind its price and the competition it's up against, it struggles.

T

the record spot

Ketan, would you say this is an underlying theme with Class D amps in general? I recall a few others being given 3-star reviews across the price ranges (Onkyo's A5-VL amp about 18 months back being another that springs to mind).

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
A few weeks ago, after I read the i32 announcement, I told a friend of mine (the one who uses an i30 with SCM11s) and advised him to hold on to the i30 until all the reviews from the various mags were published.

I had a sneaky feeling his i30 might end up being a 'classic' if it's replacement was not quite as good.

It might be interesting to see what this does to the price of good, second-hand i30 amps. (Assuming other i32 reviews have similar findings.)

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
chebby:

A few weeks ago, after I read the i32 announcement, I told a friend of mine (the one who uses an i30 with SCM11s) and advised him to hold on to the i30 until all the reviews from the various mags were published.

I had a sneaky feeling his i30 might end up being a 'classic' if it's replacement was not quite as good.

It might be interesting to see what this does to the price of good, second-hand i30 amps. (Assuming other i32 reviews have similar findings.)

Oi, less of the inverted commas thing with the classic!
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

The comments being made sound very much like the new amp exerts better control over the speakers. An amp being more rhythmic and organic in comparison sounds like it's more limited in power and control.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The review does indeed mention that it's an "amp that drivers difficult speaker loads with ease" - but there's far more to the Primare's performance than that; muscle ain't everything....

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Ketan Bharadia:From memory I'd say I30 is more organic in the way it deals with dynamics and has a more surefooted way with rhythms. The I32 counters with a cleaner, perhaps more precise sound...

igglebert:The comments being made sound very much like the new amp exerts better control over the speakers. An amp being more rhythmic and organic in comparison sounds like it's more limited in power and control.

Igglebert, i've read your post and Ketan's post a few times (and drawn on my 100s of hours listening to the i30 with SCM11s with most genres of music over the last year or so) and can't see how you can conclude that the i30 is 'more limited in power and control'.

Ketan Bharadia

Jun 7, 2007
Visit site
the record spot:Ketan, would you say this is an underlying
theme with Class D amps in general? I recall a few others being given
3-star reviews across the price ranges (Onkyo's A5-VL amp about 18
months back being another that springs to mind).

We're not against digital amplifiers as a breed. We've reviewed some from the likes of Rotel and Audio Research that sounded really good. However, many sound like the designers were so happy with the technical performance that they forget to have a listen.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Ravey Gravey Davy:
Clare Newsome: muscle ain't everything....

So we won't see Daniel's picture on here anymore?

Ah, but he's got the all-round performance to match
emotion-2.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:Ravey Gravey Davy:Clare Newsome: muscle ain't everything....

So we won't see Daniel's picture on here anymore?

Ah, but he's got the all-round performance to match
emotion-2.gif

Indeed. He was awesome as 'Geordie' in 'Our Friends In the North'. Definitely an all-rounder.

A

Anonymous

Chebby, the I30 may be good but it doesn't mean that it can't be bettered.

Typical comments from hearing an amp that has better control over a pair of speakers are along the lines of more precise, less emotional, less bass & less rhythm. Just look at the typical comments of those hearing actives for the first time.

If Primare have made an amp that is better able to perform the duties of driving a pair of loudspeakers correctly then it sounds like they've succeeded in producing a better amp. YMMV

Anyway, just observations of the comments being made, nothing more.

A

Anonymous

Nope, just going by the observations being made. Just a comment, not intending to open a debate. I could be wrong.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
So music sounds more enjoyable if speakers are not driven properly? Striving towards ever better equipment is a waste of time? Thanks, you've saved me a lot of money - rather belatedly.
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

ESP, based on my experiences in this field it seems that many like the sound given by underdriven speakers. For example, a softer sound, greater warmth, a bigger and less damped bass, often described as rhythmic. I've read a lot of counts of people monoblocking or upgrading their amp to find they don't like the sound as much. I also suspect that a lot of speaker and amp matching scenarios are about finding a combination that has the sort of colourations the person prefers.

Anyway, a different topic and different thread I suspect.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
igglebert:Nope, just going by the observations being made. Just a comment, not intending to open a debate. I could be wrong.

Hmmm, the words 'bull', 'rag', 'red' seem to spring to mind. I could be wrong.
emotion-5.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:ESP, based on my experiences in this field it seems that many like the sound given by underdriven speakers. .

Not typically, however, a team of reviewers with everyday use - and appreciation - of some mighty meaty amplification, eh?
emotion-40.gif

We've definitely drifted way off topic here...

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:
We've definitely drifted way off topic here...

...yeah, sorry...

Thanks, chaps - I've yet to buy the mag and already I've a fair idea of the contents.

the only comment I'll make regards the new I32 is way up the pros and cons of power output/room ratio, price etc. and let the individual decide whether it's better or not when they audition it...
emotion-4.gif

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin:

Thanks, chaps - I've yet to buy the mag and already I've a fair idea of the contents.

...and now you have an extra £4.50 to put towards those speakers you want.
emotion-4.gif

ESP2009:plastic penguin:

emotion-4.gif

Don't tease... you'll be saying next my questions about DACs is an elaborate smokescreen.
emotion-7.gif

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin:ESP2009:plastic penguin:

emotion-4.gif

Don't tease... you'll be saying next my questions about DACs is an elaborate smokescreen.
emotion-7.gif

Heaven forbid!
emotion-5.gif

I suspect that with the DAC thing you... (but that takes us further off topic)

TRENDING THREADS