For those experienced with Naim

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Morning,

I am going through the motoins of aquirng new kit to go with my neat motive 1's and rega appollo. I would like your views on the following: Nait xs or the 122x and 150x combo? Or shoud i consider stretching to a second hand supernait?

Many thanks

A

Anonymous

head down to your local naimdealer and have a listen

you picked a good time theres quite a few reductions on display models at the moment at audio t and presumably other naim dealers too

Gander:

Morning,

I am going through the motoins of aquirng new kit to go with my neat motive 1's and rega appollo. I would like your views on the following: Nait xs or the 122x and 150x combo? Or shoud i consider stretching to a second hand supernait?

Many thanks

Considering your source, I would go with the Nait 5i. The models you've mentioned maybe too good for the Apollo.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Gander

Just to let you know, the 122x and 150x have been discontinued for about 3 or 4 months now. The current combination is the 152xs and 155xs, which came about after what Naim learned from some new they learned whan making the SuperNait. Unless you're getting the 122x/150x for a good price, I'd chip in the little bit extra and get the 152xs/155xs combo.

As for your Apollo, it's a fantastic CD player, and as far as I'm concerned, second only to it's bigger brother and the CD5i. So don't worry about the Apollo with this combination, it's not going to disgrace itself, it'll sound great.

The SuperNait has it's advantages with having a built in DAC and so on, and is perfect for those not wanting to get involved in pre/powers, but if you're just a 2 channel analogue type of person, I'd stick to looking at pre/powers - for the cost of the SuperNait you could get the next pre amp or power amp up for the same price, or add a Flatcap xs.

Regards

David

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Do try to get ex-dem/display items from a Naim dealer rather than second hand. Then you get the full benefit of the extended guarantee (register the item with Naim via the postcard or online).

Next best would be second-hand via your Naim dealer.

FrankHarveyHiFi:

Hi Gander

Just to let you know, the 122x and 150x have been discontinued for about 3 or 4 months now. The current combination is the 152xs and 155xs, which came about after what Naim learned from some new they learned whan making the SuperNait. Unless you're getting the 122x/150x for a good price, I'd chip in the little bit extra and get the 152xs/155xs combo.

As for your Apollo, it's a fantastic CD player, and as far as I'm concerned, second only to it's bigger brother and the CD5i. So don't worry about the Apollo with this combination, it's not going to disgrace itself, it'll sound great.

The SuperNait has it's advantages with having a built in DAC and so on, and is perfect for those not wanting to get involved in pre/powers, but if you're just a 2 channel analogue type of person, I'd stick to looking at pre/powers - for the cost of the SuperNait you could get the next pre amp or power amp up for the same price, or add a Flatcap xs.

Regards

David

David, Am I right in suggesting that the entry-level pre/power combo would need an upgraded source to make the most of it?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:
Am I right in suggesting that the entry-level pre/power combo would need an upgraded source to make the most of it?

Ideally, if buying source and amp from scratch, yes.

But the OP already has a perfectly respectable CD player that is not going to 'disgrace' itself or the system (to paraphrase Dave earlier). I have heard a Nait XS with an Apollo and also with a £1500 Primare i30 and it sounded fine (actually excellent) in both instances.

Yes, the CD5i and CD5X (now CD5XS) sounded better with with a Nait XS but the Apollo is a perfectly viable option.

If I had not been offered a good deal on my Nait 5i/CD5i, I would have gone for the Apollo/Nait XS system, but there were no deals on that combi at the time, so I would have to have spent almost £2k instead of £1496.

The Rega Apollo (and Saturn according to True Blue) seem to be exceptional in having good 'synergy' with Naim amps whereas many other CDPs don't.

If I were the OP I would go for the Nait XS (and Flatcap 2XS* at a later date when funds allow) and eventually save up for a CD5XS to replace the Apollo last of all. (CD5i is a tad better than Apollo but probably not worth upgrading to now given what the OP would lose on the deal.)

* Note that the Flatcap 2XS has two outputs and will therefore serve both the Nait XS's pre-amp section, and the analogue output stage of the CD5XS (or the older CD5X)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:David, Am I right in suggesting that the entry-level pre/power combo would need an upgraded source to make the most of it?As Chebby mentions, the pre/power would benefit from a source upgrade, but that's something you can look at in the future. But for now, the Apollo is perfectly adequate to run in that system.

A

Anonymous

Some interesting stuff gents, thank you very much.

I have been considering the primare also.

At the moment it would seem my options are a second hand: primare I30 (have been going for around 900), Nait 122x & 150x combo that is allegedly brand new and priced around 1k, or supernait for maybe 1600 if its really worth stretching.

Or New: Nait XS as i didnt really want to spend more than 1500 notes to be honest.

Your thoughts?

PS: Is the flat cap a power amp?

Thanks again for you help.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
SuperNait for me. I had a chat with Naim's engineer when supernait first came out, he told me that the preformance is targeting people who look to upgrade from 112/150 or Nait 5i. The pre section is better than Nac 202 but with a tad less punch than NAP200. You will also have digital imputs and a cracking headphone output....bargain!

A

Anonymous

Yes I second Mr Ts suggestion, I'm very happy with my SuperNait and cannot see me ever wanting to change it...............

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Gander: At the moment it would seem my options are a second hand: primare I30 (have been going for around 900), Nait 122x & 150x combo that is allegedly brand new and priced around 1k, or supernait for maybe 1600 if its really worth stretching.

Or New: Nait XS as i didnt really want to spend more than 1500 notes to be honest.

Your thoughts?

PS: Is the flat cap a power amp?The Flatcap is a power supply. The Naim pre-amps don't have any power transformers in them, and take a small voltage from the power amplifier. This can be upgraded with a power supply to feed the pre-amp, improving the system and leaving the power amp to concentrate on itself.

A 122x/150x for £1k is a steal. In many ways the SuperNait will be better as there are a number of improvements they made to the pre-amp section of the board, which then paved the way for the 152x pre-amplifier.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Thaiman:SuperNait for me. I had a chat with Naim's engineer when supernait first came out, he told me that the preformance is targeting people who look to upgrade from 112/150 or Nait 5i. The pre section is better than Nac 202 but with a tad less punch than NAP200. You will also have digital imputs and a cracking headphone output....bargain!
As I mentioned in a couple of previous posts, when Naim made the SuperNait, they learned a few new things about circuit design, and these improvements were then taken across to the new 152x pre-amplifier.

Gander:

Some interesting stuff gents, thank you very much.

I have been considering the primare also.

At the moment it would seem my options are a second hand: primare I30 (have been going for around 900), Nait 122x & 150x combo that is allegedly brand new and priced around 1k, or supernait for maybe 1600 if its really worth stretching.

Your thoughts?

PS: Is the flat cap a power amp?

Thanks again for you help.

Hi gander

I would consider the superb Nait XS for the time being. A power supply/power amp can be added later on for improved performance.

Btw, the Primare is an excellent amplifier however ime it does not work well with Neat speakers.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Hmmm, plenty of food for thought gents, thanks.

It is looking like for total peace of mind that buying new may be best, and that therefore limits me somewhat........

edit: David (frankharvey) would you say for 1k that the 122 & 150 would be worth it over the xs? Thanks

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Gander: edit: David (frankharvey) would you say for 1k that the 122 & 150 would be worth it over the xs? ThanksIf you're going to be upgrading in the future, go for the 122x/150x, at least this way, you're already into pre/powers - dedicated pre amps always outperform integrated amps acting as pre-amps. I've always preferred the 122x/150x to the XS, and the pre/power gves a little more kick for better quality speakers.

Which speakers are you planning on using?

A

Anonymous

I have neat motive 1's. They are part of the motive surround package. Im itching to get the best out of the neats now winter is here and i will be spending much more time listening to music and not out fishing! The nait x combo has now been sold i understand.

Maybe a roksan caspian would be worth considering now that the primare is noted as not suiting the neats that well (or as well as naim amplification).

I listen to and eclectic mix of music but largely electronic.

Thanks again for your help, its very much appreciated!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'd rather go for the XS rather than the Caspian, but that's a personal preference. As I don't know the speakers, I can't comment unfortunately. Many on here claim they make a great match with Naim, so by all means try the Caspian, and remember it's you who has to live with the system, no one else.

Rich27

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
In my experience the NAC152XS/NAP155XS sounds better than the Supernait especially if you do not need the DAC built into the SN. The pre/power is also much more upgrade friendly and can be had new for less than a second hand SN.

My personal amp history started with NAC122X/NAP150X swapped for a SN (largely for the DAC) but have recently traded in the SN for a NAC152XS/NAP200 which to my ears is considerably better than the SN.

At the end of the day you will only answer the question by extended listening at a dealer. Don't get me wrong the SN is a great all in one solution but the pre/powers have a different presentation and only you can decide which you would prefer.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Rich - pretty much backs up what I said earlier
emotion-1.gif

The people needing the features and convenience will go for the SuperNait - the 2 channel fanatic will for for the 152xs/150xs.

A

Anonymous

Thanks fellas. On reflection i shall audition the 5i (just to see) the xs and the pre power xs combo. Are there cheaper and as good alterntives with regards to speaker cable to the nac 5?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts