For classical: Acoustic E. Aegis Neo 1 or Mordaunt S. Avant 902i?

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
  I looking for a detailed, musical budget  speaker, which is easy for the ears(on the warm side, not bright with my NAD electronics). Strong bass is not important. I want to replace my Wharfedale Diamond 9.2, wich lack fine detail, refinement and openness, is not bad,but is not exciting.
       Thank you for help, and for your observation about these 2 speakers

A

Anonymous

Out of the two I'd recommend the MS, they are brighter than the AE but not too bright. With your NAD electronics they will be great. You should also think about the MA BR2 which outclass the 902i and are not too much more expensive.

matthewpiano

I'm with Octopo. I have the 902is (stored away) and BR2s (in everyday use in my system). Whilst the MS 902is are brilliant, exciting speakers for the money, the BR2s are a significant step up and will survive more upgrades of electronics without becoming a limiting factor. The BR2s are very detailed and have good strong bass but make sure you mount them on something decent like Atacama Nexus 6 to get the best out of them.

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
ÿÿThank you for reply, I think the Monitor A. BR 2 is not realy a neutral speaker. It has some coloration and boxiness compared with Acoustic E. Neo 1 or the Mordaunt S.ÿ 902i .They have a more lively sound

A

Anonymous

I use the MS 902is and mostly listen to classical music. They're great if a bit bright when coupled with bright kit, but they'll probably be fine with your NADs. Very detailed, good bass, superb value for money (I paid £100, and I think there are always deals around...).

Hedghog

A

Anonymous

I've just been to Richer Sounds to audition speakers for my first hi-fi. Using the Cambridge Audio 540A and 540C to drive them, I tried the CA S30 (£120), MS 902i (£115) and Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 (£120). The Wharfedales won it for me - I found them more relaxing and spacious - followed by the MS 902i. That was listening to Beethoven string quartet No 15 and Saint-Saens symphone No 5 (the organ).

Sadly, none of them did a brilliant job on the organ, so until I can afford a whole lot more speaker, I'll just have to keep going to concerts! But even looking at much more expensive speakers, I didn't find any that even claimed a frequency range below 40 Hz. Does no one else listen to organ music?

matthewpiano

Tibor:Thank you for reply, I think the Monitor A. BR 2 is not realy a neutral speaker. It has some coloration and boxiness compared with Acoustic E. Neo 1 or the Mordaunt S.ÿ 902i .They have a more lively sound

Not sure where you've heard the BR2s but 'boxiness' and 'coloration' are not words I'd use to describe them. Slightly warm but with good open treble, plenty of pace and attack and brilliant soundstaging. They are wonderful for classical music.

A

Anonymous

Can't you push for the KEF IQ30s? They are, in all respects, outstanding. Just take one look at one I'm driving them with to see how good they are!

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
I have to find some iq30's to listen to...I remember listening to either iq1 or iq3 (can't precise now) and the sound reminded me of the noise of pans clanking.not so good...

A

Anonymous

ear:I have to find some iq30's to listen to...I remember listening to either iq1 or iq3 (can't precise now) and the sound reminded me of the noise of pans clanking.not so good...

Ah, well KEF have now upgraded the driver - there's now a "waveguide" on the tweeter to reduce harshness and improve stereo imaging. I havn't heard such great speakers for my sized room (15ft x 9ft) for under £1000, and then you would have to get the ProAc Studio 100s...

bwv572

Aug 20, 2006
Visit site
I've just changed speakers after spending some time prevaricating. I also found the BR2s were excellent for classical music - wonderful for chamber music in particular. However, I found that no speaker at that size could reproduce organ music in the way I wanted. In the end, I went for B&W 685s which, to my surprise, were capable of handling the combination of organ and acoustic with ease. I found that many speakers, especially floorstanders, fell into the trap of reproducing the big 32' flue stops by overwhelming the sound: at least until I got to dizzying prices. The B&Ws are still running in but I've found them to be a superb purchase, reproducing the ambience of recording without colouring or sounding at all strained.

A

Anonymous

I would get the 902i's they are all round fantastic performers i have had both the 902i's and the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's in the past loved both but the 902i's with there metal tweeter and driver give you better overall top end and bass. I have the Mordaunt-Short Mezzos at the moment and for classical you just cant beat them.

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
Yes I think the Mezzo would be ideal for me, but is not cheap at all. I suppose the Mezzo is less brighter than the 902i, isnt it?

A

Anonymous

Sorry but that's bs, (referring to reviews) the BR2 never sounds boxed in, listen for yourself and with Nad, it sounds great, they compliment each other well.

A

Anonymous

Tibor, can't help feeling that your requirements for a speaker will be hard to find in budget models. Realistically, it's the 600? mark and above where you'll find the qualities you want - think B&W CM series, Canton 820, Elac, any Italian speaker or nearly, top range Kef, Tannoy etc.

In other words, why not compromise and buy something like the Tannoy F1s or the Q-acoustics 10xx models for the interim and live with the limitations for a bit? You'll still be able to enjoy the music after all.

Also, reviews vary in quality from one person's thoughts based on nothing in particular to panel tests using extensive criteria that try to deny the inherently subjective nature of any HiFi review. In the end, they matter not a whit, it's your ears that count.

As has been said elsewhere, just head down to your local dealer and listen.

eddie_baby

Feb 23, 2009
Visit site
I think the reply by
Tarquinh is an excellent bit of advice, I've really enjoyed reading everyone's
posts on this one. I have been down this road many times changing my speakers,
and there is no substitute for spending money, you really do get what you pay
for. Save up for a set of Proac's and all your problems will go away. There
isn't much to chose between budget speaker models these days they are all pretty
good, but they do have slightley different characteristics.

TRENDING THREADS