Focal 1027be or Proac studio 148

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
I have a chance to swap my Proac's for the Focals which are really brand new they were used as surrounds for a doctor that never used the system. There isnt one mark on them either.

But hearing both im leaning to the Focal but cant get over the fact there around 8 years old vs my new proacs. I really like the focals anyone have these or listen to them. The only thing i find over and over is the bass isnt very good. They will be powered by a bryston 2.5 cubed power and new cyrus pre.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm surprised you find the bass not very good from the Focals. I have the 1008be stand mounters and the bass is tuneful, textured, plentiful and deep. I've also had a pair of Proacs in my system (D18's) and found them to be very laid back but with a great midrange. They paired very nicely with my 24 Watt SET valve amp. The Focals are much more neutral in their presentation, a bit more exciting than the Proacs and maybe this is what you are finding too?

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
I agree the presentation is more exciting compare to the proac which I find different from previous series I have owned (little more balanced across the board). The finish on the Focals is flawless not one scratch and even after a week of listening there starting to open up from when they arrived at the dealers. I guess my question is a 8000+ plus speaker from 8-10 years ago better than a new speaker at 4000 today my ears tell me yes. The reason for the deal is there are no boxes for the focals where as my proacs do so there a easier online sale vs local with our ecomony right now.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Mike_Schmidt said:
I agree the presentation is more exciting compare to the proac which I find different from previous series I have owned (little more balanced across the board). The finish on the Focals is flawless not one scratch and even after a week of listening there starting to open up from when they arrived at the dealers. I guess my question is a 8000+ plus speaker from 8-10 years ago better than a new speaker at 4000 today my ears tell me yes. The reason for the deal is there are no boxes for the focals where as my proacs do so there a easier online sale vs local with our ecomony right now.

I'd hammer the Focals at party levels for a few hours and see what difference that makes. Might shake off a few cobwebs!

iceman16

The Focal electra series are very transparent speakers. As I own a pair of 1028be. Careful matching with other component(s) is a must IMO. They also need plenty of space around them to shine. I would avoid source and amp with "brighter" presentation.

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
Mike_Schmidt said:

I'd hammer the Focals at party levels for a few hours and see what difference that makes. Might shake off a few cobwebs!
Theyll get hammered alright with Metallica and Megadeth!!! to my limit of 75db

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Mike_Schmidt said:
Infiniteloop said:
Mike_Schmidt said:

Theyll get hammered alright with Metallica and Megadeth!!! to my limit of 75db

I'd crank the volume right up then go down the pub for a few hours. (Neighbours permitting.....)

Philim

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I would concur with iceman. I also run 1028s and whilst I have not heard a Bryston, Cyrus , focal set up I have heard them individually and wouldn't put them as natural bed fellows. Whilst initial transparent sound will be appealing you could find over time it could become fatiguing.

rainsoothe

Philim said:
I would concur with iceman. I also run 1028s and whilst I have not heard a Bryston, Cyrus , focal set up I have heard them individually and wouldn't put them as natural bed fellows. Whilst initial transparent sound will be appealing you could find over time it could become fatiguing.

+1, the Electras can sound ear-piercing with highs if partnered wrong. Sounded great with Jadis Orchestra (tube amp) though.

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
I agree with you guys here they could be ear piercing. If I were to have older 8 series there would be no question no. The new pre2Qx is a different cyrus sound I wouldnt be surprised if and when its reviewed to a 4 star review. Its refined everything is there the detail timing and imaging is still amazing. It just doesnt have that snap on top I call it more level handed much like the stereo 200 which I got rid of for the bryston 2.5. I found these new componets nothing like the old which is a give and take. I actually found the new pre2 and stereo 200 along with my proac studio 148's to laid back for my liking. I would have not said that with my older system of 8 series and other proac's Ive had.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts