Focal 1008 Be

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I am looking to upgrade my speakers, and am particularly interested in the Focal 1008 Be's, but before diving in I'd appreciate your thoughts on which speakers are best for the money; ideally no more than £2,500.

The sound I am looking for is simply as natural as possible, so that music is portrayed the way the artist intended.

Thank you in anticipation.

Regards,

psr_9

michael hoy

psr_9 said:
Hi,

I am looking to upgrade my speakers, and am particularly interested in the Focal 1008 Be's, but before diving in I'd appreciate your thoughts on which speakers are best for the money; ideally no more than £2,500.

The sound I am looking for is simply as natural as possible, so that music is portrayed the way the artist intended.

Thank you in anticipation.

Regards,

psr_9

You will be asked this antway, so I will start it off.

What is the rest of your kit and the room size.

Ketan Bharadia

Jun 7, 2007
Visit site
It would be useful to know your system, the size of your room and the type of music you enjoy. I suggest having a listen to the following: PMC Twenty 22, B&W PM1, Spendor SP2/3 R2 and ProAc Response D2. These are all around 2k, standmounters and sound great, albeit in different ways.

godfer

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I've recently listened to Magneplanar speakers and have a pair of MG12s at home for evaluation - driven by Raymond Lumley M75 Monoblocks - if you're looking for a beguilling neutrality look no further!

These are simply magnificent speakers which 'disappear' and allow the music to simply flow forward!

I urge you to audition, especially given your budget!

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
I don't normally push the brand I use but will make an exception for once. Well maybe not push, but certainly suggest you consider Harbeth's. With that budget you could get the P3ESR's, the Compact 7/3's, or the newest 30.1.

There is definitely a house sound with Harbeth, which I woud describe as natural - exactly the word you used. They recreate the acoustic well, and they are not a hi-fi speaker pers se, making you focus on the music rather than analysing them. If you look at a few reviews you'll see this.

They are not designed to go very loud, so not the best choice for rock. In fact if rock is your main genre then probably not for you - the bass is not taut / punchy / driving. Because it's natural. Conversely if you listen to classical, jazz, folk, blues etc then they should definitely be on your list.

They aren't fussy about partnering equipment either. Although a certain JA did wonder whether it got any better when he was listening to a pair of £1500 P3ESR's on the end of a DCS Debussy and Classe 600 watt monblocks (about £20k of electronics). But they don't need that - have a look through the Forum on their website.

Hope this helps, they are of course, not the only option

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Thank you for your post, my currently listening room is a medium size bedroom, but my system will be located in a small to medium lounge in the near future.

My current equipment is:

- Belles Soloist 3 pre-amp

- Belles Soloist 5 power amp

- Audiolab 8200cdq CD player / DAC

- Russ Andrews PowerMax Plus mains cables

- Tacima CS929 block

- Black Ravioli under the speakers

- Speakers not currently on stands, but they will be in due course

My intention is to upgrade the CD player to something like an Esoteric X05, and the amps to something like a Belles Soloist 1 integrated amplifier in due course.

I would like my next speaker upgrade to see me through for a long time to come - and to be good enough to make the most of the future CD player & amp upgrades.

I have been trialling the Focal's for a week or so and I like their sound - the transparency, their details and overall presentation.

I also like their build quality and style - I am looking for a speaker that is first a foremost about the sound, but which also is a quality piece of kit; something to enhance the room it's in.

Also, at the moment at least, I need speakers on stands vs floor standing.

Thank you all for your posts so far, I look forward to hearing your further thoughts.

Regards,

psr_9

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
If you want something different, what about trying the Sonus Faber Venere range.

+1 on this. Otherwise I can find a pair of Focal 1027BE Signature in Mint condition at exactly the budget you have in mind, Mahogany finish

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts