Fmj or Diva?

A

Anonymous

Sorry ear I've not used either but I can say that there was a discussion about these not so long ago, have you searched the forums?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
FMJ - Full Metal Jacket, high end
DIVA - Digitally Integrated Video Audio (Or similar), entry level.

...Or at least it was.

DIVA is now for A/V equipment. FMJ is now for everything Hi-Fi.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
FMJ all the way for me (unless youre happy with 2nd hand separates then i'd also look at the Arcam Alpha 9 or 10 separates).

The only DiVA amp i liked was the Arcam DiVA A85 integrated and power amps.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I used to own the Diva A70 and CD73 - i thought both were excellent items but in particular the CD73 is superb for the price. The A70 can feel a little light on its bass presentation but it is very detailed and clear.

A few months back i upgraded to FMJ A32 and CD36 due to bargain prices. These are definately better separates, the CD36 does offer more detail and substance to its sound but the even bigger improvement for me was from the amplifier which is much more powerful and really added additional bass to my speakers.

If budget isnt an issue you can get FMJ A32 for c£700 new which is a really good deal (this is the old model replaced by the A38). The Diva range is going for budget prices too and at c£300 and at this price the CD in particular is better value than say NAD / Marantz / Cambridge Audio.

If you cant stretch to both then id say the FMJ amplifier would still combine well alongside the Diva CD73.

There is also the option of the new FMJ models range as well which i havent yet heard but i would still think FMJ is better all round than Diva.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris:FMJ - Full Metal Jacket, high end
DIVA - Digitally Integrated Video Audio (Or similar), entry level.

...Or at least it was.

DIVA is now for A/V equipment. FMJ is now for everything Hi-Fi.

Yep, my FMJ feels like it originally cost almost £2k (not that I paid anything like that much!). Very well made and just the noise the draw makes when you press "load" gives you the idea that it's not budget equipment.

A

Anonymous

FMJ certainly beautifully made, rock solid construction. I personally prefer my equipment to sound the best at it's respective price point, so it's best to have a listen first.

A

Anonymous

I went with the Arcam FMJ A28.

It is absolutely solid !
Music sounds beautiful. I upgraded from a Pioneer amp to this arcam and am very pleased with it.

You may find you have to crank up the volume quite high to get some sound out but don't be afraid, Arcam amps are built like this and you can easily turn the volume right up.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I have plenty of DiVA kit and rate it extremely highly for music and video.

The FMJ range is also highly rated but I can't comment. If you have £1k to spend then go for what I have second hand and you won't be disappointed.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
I have plenty of DiVA kit and rate it extremely highly for music and video.

The FMJ range is also highly rated but I can't comment. If you have £1k to spend then go for what I have second hand and you won't be disappointed.

ÿ

FMJ CD36s available brand new online for £689, so only a couple of hundered or so more than DiVA (e.g. CD192 prices now £499 or even less...)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Save yourself the uncertainty and buy Denon's PMA1500ae and matching player. Marvel at how pedestrian and veiled most of the usual suspects sound compared to it. Imo as close to high end as I know it short of a good valve amplifier for a fraction of the price.

My opinion only and they dont match well with Rega. With Epos or ALR Jordan they are magic.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
I've heard the pma-1500 with matching player and br5's .treble was very loud.catie's meluas voice was almost inaudible, very agressive indeed.Read a review somewhere that blamed that on the cd player, but the combo didn't impressed me at all.Realised later that it doesn't have 2 speaker selection? it has 2 set's of speakers connection for biamping.this really turned me down

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
drummerman:
Save yourself the uncertainty and buy Denon's PMA1500ae and matching player. Marvel at how pedestrian and veiled most of the usual suspects sound compared to it. Imo as close to high end as I know it short of a good valve amplifier for a fraction of the price.

My opinion only and they dont match well with Rega. With Epos or ALR Jordan they are magic.

ÿ

Hmmm, I think I'd take some persuading on that DM!!!

ÿ

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Of course you would
emotion-2.gif

If you like your Arcams then I'm certainly not going to argue with you. What I would say is there are other brands than the usual brit products that perhaps lack the boutique image but are none-the-worse for it. Anybody reading this, try the Denons with a well matched speaker. It really is something else. I'm looking forward to try the 2000 series.

Dont try them with BR5's or any other silver range MA's that share cheap sounding metal tweeters and/or xover components either. They really need a better speaker than that and you will hear detail that you did'nt even know was there in a coherent, dynamic way. As always, my opinion only.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
yess i also think the broad soundstage of the br5 doesn.t match the shear strenght of the 1500...so much power there!I also guess the 1500 would be my ultimate amp to buy.but if i bought it and it really didn't satisfied me I would be much dissapointed...and also...its 15 kilo's to carry back to the store.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts