fm vs internet radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

surreyfrog

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
I sometimes listen to hi res internet radio through my naim uniti 2. It will also take a FM radio signal through an antenna - is it worth getting one, will FM give better sound reproduction than internet?

Whether FM will be better will come down to one thing: How strong the signal is. With a good signal FM IMHO is still pretty much peerless.

Up until the last few years Naim made a dedicated FM only tuner, and it was very good. However, some FM tuners are more signal hungry than others.

I know Chebby had a Naim tuner a few years ago and he can fill you in on the comparative pros and cons of FM v internet radio.

Personally speaking, I use Freeview radio as well as my Denon tuner.

Gray

Why not stick an 18" piece of wire in that F type aerial socket? I reckon you'll hear the strongest signals quite well.

See what Radio 2 sounds like for example. It can only get better with a roof aerial of course and you'll probably want to go for one (especially if you can do it yourself to keep the cost down)

I listen to a lot of radio, variously on the internet, Freeview and Freesat. I've also got Denon and Quad FM tuners with a decent roof aerial.

I'm glad they ain't switching off FM just yet. (Or using FM for local radio only, which was their proposed intention at one time).

surreyfrog

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
Quick update - I have access to a communal FM aerial, so I have bought the naim adapter, hooked it up and had a listen. I'm hard pressed to hear a significant difference between the FM broadcast of radio 2 and the internet stream.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
surreyfrog said:
Quick update - I have access to a communal FM aerial, so I have bought the naim adapter, hooked it up and had a listen. I'm hard pressed to hear a significant difference between the FM broadcast of radio 2 and the internet stream.
That's because BBC national radio internet streams are usually quite good, though I've never tried Radio 1. It's a different story if you listen to ILR however. Usually I listen to Smooth Radio. Where I live in NW England, the FM signal for Smooth absolutely wipes the floor with both the internet stream and DAB. I'm not even sure if the Smooth DAB stream is even stereo.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
IMHO, Digital Radio wins hands down.

For RM Think- LP'S/45's etc. Whereas For Digital think -- cd's/memory sticks with music on them..... Digital EVERY TIME !

It's the REASON as to Why The World is moving ONTO---- Digital Sound, It's because it is far better. (vinyl and FM Radio are now becoming 'OLD TAT !'

There are gaming forums online who reckon that all the old retro games are better than Today's games, yeah right... *ROFL*

*crazy* folks just cannot move on at times ... *blush* *music2* *blush*

Each to their own, I guess....... keeps it all nice...*drinks*

surreyfrog

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
Alantiggger said:
IMHO, Digital Radio wins hands down.

For RM Think- LP'S/45's etc. Whereas For Digital think -- cd's/memory sticks with music on them..... Digital EVERY TIME !

It's the REASON as to Why The World is moving ONTO---- Digital Sound, It's because it is far better. (vinyl and FM Radio are now becoming 'OLD TAT !'

The vinyl/digital comparison is why I was curious about FM vs digital streaming, and I was wondering if the same comparisons applied. My take is different from yours inasmuch as I prefer the reproduction from a well-engineered LP to the CD equivalent, but of course each to his own. Anyway, as mentioned I don't hear much difference between FM and digital internet radio, certainly not in the same way I've noticed differences between vinyl/digital. In case you're interested, I find vinyl more dynamic, CD/digital a bit more revealing but dryer sounding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts