FM Tuners and the Mono button.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Despite the excellent performance of Freeview radio (via my DAC) I still find myself hankering after a bit of FM to get that last little bit of 'realness' that a live radio performance can bring that seems - so far - to elude Freeview, as good as it is. I think I need to have FM around again - at least until the Government switch it off in 6 years - in the same way I like to have vinyl around. I cannot seem to shake it off. (I was brought up on the sound of LPs, singles and radio and guess a bit of me must still be 'wired up' that way.)

I am also wasting an excellent roof mounted FM antenna that was installed only a year ago (for my old Solo-Mini) with brand-new down cable.

I was thinking of snagging an ex-dem or s/h Denon TU1500AE or a really nice condition TU-260L II.

I am not interested in DAB and I am not interested in spending on a brand-new machine, just a good one.

I have noticed that modern tuners seem to lack a 'mono' button. These used to be useful for the fainter stations and had the effect of reducing hiss and noise and making them listenable. (Despite being in mono.) Does this facility still exist?

Any other suggestions for good, relatively recent FM tuners? (Not too expensive.)

Especially if they have that mono butto.

A

Anonymous

My old Technics ST-GT550 still does a top job, and it has the mono button.

John Duncan

Got it. This is from another Denon tuner manual, not the 260, but it rings a very big bell - "in the Manual tuning mode, the signals are forcibly set to monaural, and the STEREO indicator does not light even when receiving stereo broadcasts on the FM band".

TBH chebs, you can get a 260 mk2 for 25 quid - worth a punt shirley, even if I'm mistaken (a mwa ha ha ha)? Either that or just get a NaimUniti and be done with it
emotion-2.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the research John.

I have looked at a few TU-260L II tuners on ebay but will hold out for a really well looked after one if possible.

A am looking also at a Denon TU-332 (1977) in near mint condition. I sent a message to the seller who assures me it is perfectly functional in every way and still sounds great.

However, despite all the retro fun and backlit tuning scale and signal strength meter and fabulous condition etc, I am still a bit 'wobbly' over using a 32 year old tuner. It is almost certain that something will give out from old age soon.

There is also a nice looking ex-demo TU-1500AE but it is near the limit of what I want to pay.

The naimuniti 'boat' has sailed for now. I replaced our oldest computer last week with a shiny new Dell so the hifi budget is a bit thin. On top of even the most favourable trade-in or sale of my Naim gear I would need to find at least another £800.

John Duncan

I'd give you mine ('good home' and all that) but it was a gift from Mrs JD so I'm never allowed to get rid of it.

And yeah, I'm looking at £800-£1000 shortfall on an NU so the FQ (Frown Quotient) is currently too high. And the 6-8 week waiting list (last time I heard) prevents my stumbling into a hifi shop and accidentally buying one before I realise what I've done.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts